PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Warrior

Batu'jin
08-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Hello!

I am new to the Warrior Class, just reached 62 and powerleveled myself there so I did no tanking. My question is this, would it be wise to go ahead and spec Prot and start doing the lower end instances to get a feel for tanking now or just wait it out until 70 and the trial by fire?

I ask because I am actually worried about tanking now that I am here and I want to be decent at it and not just another scrub who cannot hold aggro.

Thanks for any help.

Inaara
08-19-2008, 01:22 PM
You should level the rest of the way as prot and tank as much instances as you possibly can. The last thing anyone needs is a useless prot warrior.

Batu'jin
08-19-2008, 01:34 PM
That is exactly what I was wondering, thank you kindly. I have heard so many people say "get to 70 and then worry about it", but that just never made sense to me, I will respec tonight and start gathering the proper gear, thanks again!

marklar
08-19-2008, 01:39 PM
you have the right attitude. i cringe when i hear people say just go fury until 70 and respec, as if respecing makes you know how to tank...

leveling prot (as a noob), lets you learn about rotations, try different talent points, learn about gear, etc.

~Luffie~
08-19-2008, 02:41 PM
you have the right attitude. i cringe when i hear people say just go fury until 70 and respec, as if respecing makes you know how to tank...

leveling prot (as a noob), lets you learn about rotations, try different talent points, learn about gear, etc.

I leveled all the way to 70 as Arms/Fury. When I would do instances, I would just slap on a shield. lol. I switched to prot the day before my first Kara run. xD

Kittygrinda
08-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Levelling as prot is no where near as bad as you might expect it to be. Instances are still the fastest means of gaining xp in Outlands in my opinion, and grinding mobs with a good ole fashioned devastate spamfest actually works quite well.

Go prot now and get used to the spec while it's not so important. If you're planning on PUG'n at 70 you'll soon find the majority of your groupies will not be very forgiving if you're trying to learn then and there.

sneaky_frog
08-20-2008, 12:57 AM
Go Fury and mobs or tank it's your choice, I went Fury and equipped 1 shields it's not as good as prot but you learn the instances.

Most import, start building your list of lvl 70 gear and work towards it. Specially keep and select anything with +defense on it. Also don't drop your DPS gear like I did, you'll need it to do your dailies :)

Best of luck,
Daniel

fastidius
08-20-2008, 01:18 AM
Tanking without defiance is more like a speed hump.....if you don't have it your not actually tanking anything...

Batu'jin
08-20-2008, 06:40 AM
I specced over last night and I leveled from 61 to 62 without much trouble. What did shock me was my survivability went up quite a bit and how fast I am a able to build threat. I do like the spec though and can defineately see myself enjoying tanking as you get to always be doing something.

Thanks for the opinions without judgement guys, it's nice to find a place where people actually discuss and give advice instead of just saying "lrn2play nub!", so thank you again!

Stormgard88
08-24-2008, 10:55 AM
I had one more bit of advice to add, while you are leveling, go out of your way to do every group quest that you can. I found the experiences invaluable, due to the sheer variety of groups I ended up getting... And if you are lucky you will meet some new friends on the way!

Oneiroi
08-25-2008, 09:03 AM
If you like to soloing as well as throwing in an instance you can go x/x/13, so you get expertise as a nice dsp stat and your aggro will be ok.
However my experience after switching to full prot at 65 or so was "omg how easy can it be to hold aggro", shield slam rocks! But as full prot without realy nice dmg gear you will have trouble in areas with high respawn rate :(
Besides that as furry Rampage was not realy something i missed :)

blahism
09-19-2008, 09:52 PM

On the flipside, just because you played prot through the grind doesn't mean you can tank lvl 70.

I personally believe if you're even on forums like this then you're on the right track - it means you're using community knowledge & resources that button mashing will never provide in and of itself.

I hit 70 just a little while ago and stayed furry.. i needed to do lots of grinding for rep/honor.. I didn't pay enough attention to that before and frankly, i think thats where most effort needs to go - understanding the dynamics of the end game and how you work up to it means more than which spec you chose to grind you way to it. (does that make sense?)

i also found it impossible to pug beyond gnomer.. the charm of 5 mans had worn off for the most part and those dedicated healers and early tanks were already dedicated to guilds running raids daily and lvling people up.

I'm married, 2 kids and a huge property to take care of so i'm not shy in saying i can't dedicate what others could.

However the fact you and I are here means we atleast understand what it takes to be a good tank and the practice of what we learn here is something everyone will do no matter the spec they played to get there.

huggy77
09-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Tanking without defiance is more like a speed hump.....if you don't have it your not actually tanking anything...

that should be a signature

Shagh
09-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Have been casually leveling as Prot from around level 60. Am also married with 2 kids and thus have time restrictions.

Have hit 67 and am focusing on spending some time in PvP to build up honour and marks. Whilst Prot does not really suit PvP I am finding the experience worthwhile and have realised the power of surviving in PvP.

So keep up the Protection leveling but don't forget your BGs. Jumping onto the daily BG for a 10Kplus Exp win is also nice. Winning is obviously required but the triple bonus of marks, honour and exp make it worth the risk of a bad BG.

cjc813
09-30-2008, 08:08 AM
I had one more bit of advice to add, while you are leveling, go out of your way to do every group quest that you can. I found the experiences invaluable, due to the sheer variety of groups I ended up getting... And if you are lucky you will meet some new friends on the way!

In addition to that, if you look at Polar's Pre-Kara Gear guide, a lot of the items given at the end of those group quest chains give you good starter Heroic/Kara tanking items.

I know from experience that it's a lot harder to go back and get a group to help you finish a quest chain when you're already 70.