PDA

View Full Version : Tanking/Off-Tanking as Fury

ebs2002
08-19-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm 17/44/0 (3/3 Imp HS), and am often enlisted to offtank in my raids. We're 1/5 MH, 3/4 TK 5/6 SSC. On trash pulls when we're light on tanks/sheeps, I have no trouble holding my target, as it's usually the last to be killed so I have ample time to build threat. However, I'm finding times where I need to put out higher threat in order to help the raid: Alar adds (the rogues have to hold back significantly), ZA offtanking as a fury warrior (dragonhawk with a pally as the 2nd tank), Kara badge run offtanking (moroes, the iceblock trash, etc).

My typical threat when I'm offtanking right now reminds me of prot DPS: spam sunder, keep revenge on cooldown, throw in HS if I'm over 60 rage. I don't have time to do shouts/tclap/rampage because I'm horribly threat-capping my raid (400-500TPS).

The gear I'm using is my normal EH gear from when I was a tank (35'ish expertise, 75'ish hit, 15k HP, 16.8k armor, 490def + S2 shield, and under 1k AP I believe). I often go with hit food if I can afford the loss of sta.

My questions are:
1) Should I change my rotation? Is it worthwhile to rampage or throw in bloodthirsts, or is sunderspam + revenge the way to go?

2) How should I change my gear? Obviously I should ignore SBV and get my hit capped at 95, but what else? Should I pay more attention to my AP so I can work in BTs?

3) Even after tweaking, is this just a case of me having too high of expectations? I'm used to pulling over 1k TPS as prot, and I feel like if I can't be a viable fury offtank for Dragonhawk, I'll have to keep respeccing if I ever want to see a bear mount.

Tatt
08-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Have you ever considered 0/41/20? It will gimp your dps slightly, but more threat from bloodthirst in defensive stance, and more surviveability as a tank.

ebs2002
08-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Have you ever considered 0/41/20? It will gimp your dps slightly, but more threat from bloodthirst in defensive stance, and more surviveability as a tank.
I'm not sure I tank enough to warrant gimping my DPS much...plus, the loss of Imp TC and Imp HS to pick up more survivability and Incite...bleh

Schleppy
08-19-2008, 02:11 PM
If you can skimp 3 points out of fury to get tac mastery, then ya, bloodthirst will help you hold aggro far better then any other tool. Otherwise I wouldnt bother with BT. How do you guys do dragonhawk? We kill half the eggs before any dps goes on him so I only have to really worry about holding off healing aggro for the first stage, and have no issues once all the egg's are dead. I've used the 33/25/3 build and tanked him just fine in tanking gear using MS where you would use BT. Without defiance your highest damaging moves will be your best tanking tools, and your normal prot rotations are consdierably less effective.

Meeks
08-21-2008, 02:24 PM
I would never put the 3 points in tac mastery. If you need those points then you are admitting that you need another good tank and you should go for a real prot spec.

None of the situations you described are ones that need hard dps...with the possible exception of dragonhawk if it is a close timed run. In that case I would use some pvp gear if it is available for high EH and extra aggro. Even without tac mastery you might want to throw in some BTs when you spike in rage because depending on your stats at the time it might still be your highest threat move(especially if you have some pvp gear on).

Other then that you are doing what you should be doing already.

ebs2002
08-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Hmm, I'll try tanking in more of my S3 gear over my T5, and see how that goes.

Thanks guys, I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. I have enough resil that I shouldn't need much def gear.