PDA

View Full Version : Najentus...rhymes with Morogrim?

Elyvern
08-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi all,

I'm venturing into BT as a tank for the first time this week. Our first hurdle is to down Najentus. I've been looking around for information about him and all I can find is he hits hard.

On our last attempt with another prot war tank, healers had their hands full keeping him alive as well as the raid. I wasn't around but I gathered they were frazzled. I hope to do better, or at least free up my healers to handle more raid damage.

8k crushing sounds like another Morogrim to me and my initial impression is I should be wearing my avoidance gear. But Najentus is also a dps race so generating threat is a big issue. Ergo, I'm a little confuzzled.

Below is the armory link of my "regular" boss tanking gear. My question is, is my avoidance sufficient? Should I pile more threat, thus dropping avoidance and health? Or should I go for a effective health set up?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Khaz%27goroth&n=Hharumlil (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Khaz%27goroth&n=Hharumlil)

Much thanks for any feedback.

Alent
08-18-2008, 10:17 PM
8K crushing sounds like a DPSer was getting parried.

he doesn't hit as fast as morogrim does.

Taelas
08-19-2008, 12:29 AM
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/warrior-reference/37020-raid-zone-minimums.html

Shortypop
08-19-2008, 12:39 AM
I've only downed Naj twice, but I think the big thing is the amount of aoe damage going round. You need a raid who are fast to remove spines and healers who are fast at healing the raid back up, and limited melee to limit that aoe damage. We never really found the best way of splitting healing assignments :( On our first kill I used a hs or h.pot every "aoe explosion", and by 12% both were on cd including shield wall and last stand used - panic time!

Elyvern
08-19-2008, 12:55 AM
I meet the raid zone minimum for all of BT, and I'm sure my fellow tank our healers were trying very hard to keep alive for our first try is not too far behind either.

However, it seems that our healers are having problems keeping people up so I'm trying to fine-tune my gear to ease their burden for this fight, while generating enough threat for dps to kill him before he enrages.

That's good advice, Shorty, so it seems as if the biggest gear component in this fight's set up is EH? Playing a dps main, I know zilch about a tank's experience during a boss fight. Every new boss I attempt on my warrior makes me feel like I'm learning the fight all over again.

Nicki
08-19-2008, 03:21 AM
1. Were thunder clap and demo shout up?
2. Were you spamming shield black every CD?
3. Were there enough incomming heals?

Checking how you died is usually the best place to start but without a log of how you died theres not much more i can suggest other than to make sure each group gets a group healer

Sangi
08-19-2008, 07:36 AM
You gear looks more than adequate for Naj. From a tank perspective it is a standard hard hitting tank and spank with damage spikes. Bring your proper consumables the first few times in there until you get comfortable (ironshield, the 250 or 400 chest enchant). Keep up your normal mitigation debuffs, TC, Demo. Have all the raid members put up thier miss mitigation debuffs. If you find that you are spiking to low health after the shield pops have the paladins setup a layon hands rotation and have them watch you after the Pop. If you drop below 25% health have them lay on hands you to prevent an unlucky hit taking you out.

However it is a very intensive healing fight. Not for the tank but for the raid. We bring 8 healers with our pally tank going into healing gear for spot heals. You should run with about 3-4 on you and the rest on the raid depending on how many AoE healers you have. The healers and the groups should be divided up logically. We do one group on the left, one on the right and one in the middle. The tank group and the melee mix in where possible. Staying in groups helps out with CoH and PoH a lot.

Rak
08-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Make sure you split the melee into three groups. We run melee-heavy raids so we have warriors and shamans on the right, rogues in the middle, druids on the left.

Elyvern
08-19-2008, 08:47 AM
@Sangi - thank you! That was exactly what I was looking for. Much thanks for the advice!

Worldie
08-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Might be worth knowing that Najentus has some "mini enrages" when he shouts "My patience has run out, die die". He will hit faster for a couple of seconds generating the occasional crushing.

That said, he hits light enough to get me mana starved and our warrior rage starved. As non-overgeared, with ironshields and demo shout, you should be fine. Remind to reapply demo shout after each bubble, chances that it ran out while he was immune are high :)

Dots
08-19-2008, 11:39 AM
The bubble only makes him immune to damage, not debuffs (warrior debuffs anyway).

bosephus
08-19-2008, 11:58 AM
The big problem for Najentus that my guild noticed was the tank not getting properly healed following the removal of the shield. If that 8k hit is quickly followed by a crush, then you're outta luck fast. Keep two healers dedicated on the tank to precast heals immediately when the shield is going down and the rest on raid healing.

The other thing was already mentioned - make sure your melee dps isn't getting parried.

Finally, if you are a tauren, make sure you're close enough so that Thunderclap affects him. It's possible to be engaged in melee with Naj, but since both hitboxes are so big, TC is out of range. Keep him debuffed, not parry hasted, and make sure you have a couple of dedicated healers, and the fight goes by very smoothly. Assuming people loot the spines and use them quickly.

Elyvern
08-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Much thanks to everyone for providing tips and advice about this boss I wasn't able to find elsewhere.

I think I'm going to shoot for around 25% dodge/22k health buffed. I'm not the raid leader, but will suggest tanking him just before the pillars, with melee grouped at his sides, and range groups spread out in an arc behind me.

Sanelora
08-20-2008, 12:13 AM
Just a note! when he bubbles, he heals. ideally get a rogue to shiv a 5-stack of wound-poison onto him throughout the fight and make sure that you apply a shiv JUST BEFORE he bubbles. that minimizes the amount that he heals for