PDA

View Full Version : Raid Leading While Main Tanking

Silthias
08-14-2008, 03:53 AM
Well the title says it all. Im currently in a guild that is 4/5 MH and 5/9 BT however we are loosing our raid leaders to holidays/RL/Inactivity. This has lead to me offering to help out leading some of our raids, Iv got some past experence doing this, (Kara, Gruul, Maggy, 3/6 SSC, 1/4 TK) with an old guild, so I am confident I can do the motivaional side of things needed, and can keep order and a fast pace up in raids.

However talking to one of the officers in the guild, another tank, who used to raid lead in the past he is very reluctant for me to both Main Tank on boss fights, and to lead the raid.

While I am all for helping out and stepping up to lead the guild in its raiding progress, I am having second thoughts due to the fact he seems to want me to either DPS/OT for those raids. I get too big a buzz out of being the one wailed on by the boss, it is not that I don't think the other tank can't do it, I know he can.

I guess I'm looking for opinions as to how good a MT can be at raid leading, or even if it is worth doing, should I only do one or the other? And a few tips on how to do it. I know that Main tanks have raid lead successfully, but was that something that made life harder or does it make no real difference? You will have a huge mob in front of you blocking your view of the rest of the raid, which i see as the main problem, but what other problems can you foresee?. Sorry for the long winded wind up but back ground info is never a bad thing.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards,

Silthais

holydeano
08-14-2008, 07:32 AM
tbh i dont understand why the MT has to be the leader of the raid, it makes perfect sense to have a player who is not in with the mobs watching the raids and instructing players of the dangers.

It can be hard enough just trying to get the right aggro on the group :p

We get blamed enough already
If the healer cant heal you he says "your taking to much damage' ever thought it is the healer that is weak?
Another great one ' TANK hold aggro' ever though that just maybe the dps should watch omen like a hawk.

Thought I would add that to the end of it :)

Silthias
08-14-2008, 07:56 AM
It is infact the complete opposite, I am the Main Tank atm on most fights anyway, and am looking at stepping up to lead sometimes due to the lack of raid leaders, and im not sure how viable it is in t6 content.

phaze
08-14-2008, 08:32 AM
It is infact the complete opposite, I am the Main Tank atm on most fights anyway, and am looking at stepping up to lead sometimes due to the lack of raid leaders, and im not sure how viable it is in t6 content.
Viable. It's a lot more work on your part, since you're trying to manage the raid's status as well as your tanking performance. But if you're up to it, then let your officers know.

Bonerot
08-14-2008, 08:44 AM
I agree It's a bad idea to MT and RL for progression content. You need to be focused on doing your job and while you can certainly help RL you won't be able to watch everything that everyone else is doing without sacrificing your own performance. Being the MT your performance is usually more likely to wipe a raid then any other member.

Derrick
08-14-2008, 08:47 AM
I think MTs make ideal raid leaders in a lot of situations. Trash is the obvious one, of course. The MT sets the pace and keeps things moving quickly. On a lot of bosses, tanking is pretty mindless and you are free to direct other things. Sometimes visibility is a problem though. In a lot of situations though, the raid cannot be directed by a single person and you need strong quarterbacks for different situations. e.g. in stuff you're on or coming up to now:

Bloodboil: MT directs the tanking. Someone else directs the bloodboil groups.
RoS: MT is ideal to direct most of this as long as the rogues are communicating between each other.
Council: Interrupts are the primary thing that should be coordinated and the priest tank is in the best spot to do so, which is probably not the MT.
illidan: MT far and away best position to direct. All the important elements that take direction are during periods when the MT is doing nothing at all.
Archimonde: MT in best position to see the entire fight and call out fear CDs, but other people need to help direct their own groups.

Stegho
08-21-2008, 07:21 AM
I raid lead and main tank with no problems and am just starting Sunwell with a reroll guild.

Foolishness
09-21-2008, 06:11 AM
you get used to it after a while.

i think it makes you a much more switched on player when you need to concentrate so hard.

I can sit there and press devastate and shield block quite easily when i'm momentarily distracted making important calls or looking at something else without gimping my threat significantly.

Shadevarr
09-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Never had any problems watching the raid, calling out abilities, calling out extra heals, battle rezzes, etc while actively tanking. We have several senior raiders whom if need be will call out abilities on fights that require the tank to pay a lot more attention to themselves.

Example would be tidewalker, the MT is too focused keeping themselves alive so our healer leader calls out watery graves and when to have raid heals redirected to the MT. One of the things I've done was to have tanks rezzed last after a wipe and buffed last on rebuffs. Once I am fully buffed, we pull.

Lore
09-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Yeh, if you're the Primary Raid Leader, you will want to have a couple of other solid voices on Vent with you for situations where you've just got to pay too much attention to MT'ing for the time being.

Radhja
09-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Yeh, if you're the Primary Raid Leader, you will want to have a couple of other solid voices on Vent with you for situations where you've just got to pay too much attention to MT'ing for the time being.

This

I always nominate a second-in-command to handle things when situations get a bit sticky... like when Prince drops an inconvenient Infernal. The MT typically does most raid role assignments (I call CC targets and first/second kills always), but sometimes I just don't have that extra second to swap hands and retarget. Sometimes, it takes a second person who's NOT in the thick of heated combat to manage things from a distance. :)

Tobius
09-24-2008, 01:55 PM
Real leaders delegate :)

kolben
09-26-2008, 11:04 AM
I've done both. I like main tanking bosses better without being raid leader. At this point, I'm perfectly content to just tank and not have to say a word on vent. It has a lot to do with the people in your raid I'm sure.

Minya
09-26-2008, 12:06 PM
I agree It's a bad idea to MT and RL for progression content. You need to be focused on doing your job and while you can certainly help RL you won't be able to watch everything that everyone else is doing without sacrificing your own performance. Being the MT your performance is usually more likely to wipe a raid then any other member.

*knockknock*

every class has to concentrate on their job while raidleading.
and at one point, everybody really has to do his job the best way possible.

so that's not an issue.

@topic: RL and MT both at the same time is possible and challenging but it's one of the most "fun" things you can do in WoW, I think.

I enjoyed it pretty much.

macfeagle
01-20-2009, 12:19 AM
I've been doing it for months. In a lot of fights I can watch environmental stuff and still tank, being MT is easier than being OT on a lot of fights, so I have some brain left over. I have a healer handle all the healing stuff, and I don't call battle rezes and heroisms, the people pressing the buttons tend to do this.

I have found it's not particularly hard, and wanting to lead groups my own way is why I rolled a tank in the first place. I'm also an obvious candidate to do this since the same kinds of issues happen in 5-mans, and it is typically tanks who lead those.

LokÝCea
03-06-2009, 06:35 AM
I myself am Raid Leader and MT/OT depending on boss(as we swap about our tanks so all get more experience). I think this is partially down to the fact i am also Guild leader.

I do have officers and raid leaders, but when i am raiding all want me to lead.

So far i have led my guild to 10 man naxx, 10 man sarth, 10 man VoA, 10 man Malygos, 25 man VoA, 25 man Sarth and 3/4 wings of hc Naxx cleared(we only been doing heroic naxx 2 weeks as finally got the numbers to do it pug free).

I spend hours revising, reading tactics, watching videos etc etc so when i lead my team, i know what is coming. I also have a notepad next to me and note anything that i may forget so i can give in prep talks.

I think if you are a good communicator, then you can lead a raid from any position in the field. I also lead raids wether im on my hunter or holy priest also, as my guild have the confidence and belief in me which i find very rewarding as earning the respect of your fellow raiders is more rewarding than any drop you will find in any dungeon.

Erichilles
03-06-2009, 06:37 AM
posted: 08-14-2008

lol
what's the deal with digging up old posts to answer questions that were already answered? xP

LokÝCea
03-06-2009, 06:41 AM
posted: 08-14-2008

lol
what's the deal with digging up old posts to answer questions that were already answered? xP

I am pretty new here so i read EVERY post in each thread, as im sure many do also. So im just adding some input so people can read also as it may help them out. No need to spam with your 'lol's' is there, either dont post, or post something constructive maybe ?

If they have no value a modorator would lock/erase them.