PDA

View Full Version : First time OT for Kara

Jurusu
08-13-2008, 11:48 AM
This week will be my first experience as an off-tank for Kara. Normally I MT instances. I would appreciate any tip that you could give as to what I should focus on gear-wise as well as some tips on gameplay. What do I have to be aware of and how do I avoid stepping on the MT's toes? I know this is pretty open but any help would ease the butterflys.

Rhegma
08-25-2008, 02:31 PM
I am a rookie tank in general, and have been spending the last few weeks as my guilds OT in our Kara runs. We just started so most of us are still learning the place. Now that you see where I'm coming from, I usually carry a set of DPS gear and my tanking set. Considering, I'm still building my set, I gear almost entirely for health/armor.

During trash pulls, I keep my tanking set on but dual wield and dps as best I can, using devastate and heroic strike to try and stay above most of the dpsers on threat. (It's not easy with a few of them) I'll spend most of the fights keeping an eye on wandering mobs and the CC'd targets for anything that could cause trouble. Switch to shield, grab them and walk off to the side. Unless of course I am not a CCer myself. With not much CC in our group, me tanking something counts for a lot.

For bosses we have under control, or Aran. I switch to my dps gear and act like one of the other melees. On Moroes, I basically tank one of his adds for the entire fight, using him as a rage battery while I stay as close to the tanks threat as possible. Otherwise I stick close to the main tank and just keep an eye out for trouble.

Now, this might not be right, but it's what I do and it's been working for us so far.

Leytur
08-25-2008, 06:21 PM
There's really few places you really need to OT. So bring a full DPS set and go out full DPS except when MT tells you to get the tank set on.

Slobash
08-26-2008, 12:32 AM
From very VERY early on in kara we realised that a second prot warrior was crazy. I asked my OT to spec dps/prot which he was stoked about but it really depends on your gear, if you have dps gear that can handle it then i'd suggest trying to spec for more dps.

Leytur
08-26-2008, 04:38 AM
Yea the OT doesn't even need to live through a fight. He just needs to live long enough. :P

Moroes you need a decent tanking set. But you don't even need to spec prot. You're wailing on him enough you should have decent threat once adds are down.

gaililao
08-26-2008, 06:40 AM
Easiest OT time you'll ever have really.

Inaara
08-26-2008, 11:47 AM
People take OT's to Kara?

DeviantGil
08-27-2008, 12:43 PM
OTing Kara is simple, hell, MTing Kara is simple me and my OT usually just DW Tank for most of the instance for the extra rage

Bardman
09-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Im currently OTing Kara for the *noobie group*. We are gearing people up and have weekly subs for dps and heals depending on the need. I keep myself in full tank gear all of the time because there at times when the MT goes down- (yea some healers arent the best) -and I need to be right on it-

So far there hasnt been a time where I didnt pick up a mess and turn it into a positive.

huggy77
10-09-2008, 09:47 PM
I will OT kara tomorrow for the first time as well... should be fun....

Silentslayer
10-12-2008, 04:55 AM
Just make sure that you have read up and mostly understand the encounters you will be faceing, you should be fine if you do.

Korvid
10-12-2008, 12:25 PM
When I started OTing Kara, it was mostly to learn the encounters and to build a tank set decent enough to start to MT. Our MT was great at explaining the fights and after couple runs and lucky rate of plate drops, I would MT lower and he would handle the upper section.

I spent a lot of time in my dps gear... doing craptasitc damage with my prot spec, but in the end I had the gear to step in the MT roll when our MT moved on to T5 content.

I've personally never done Kara without an OT, whether it be a guild run or a pug. They are great for the bigger pulls and for fights like Mores. I think it makes pulling trash faster. We would have the MT pull a trash group, then the OT would pull a second group once it was safe to do so. We kept that up until the healers needed mana :P

Have in Kara!

Kor

Macksie
10-14-2008, 03:22 AM
Yes OT's are needed for Kara especially if it is new guilds/players and yes sometimes it involves 2 x prot warriors. Our guild now out gears it but its still the only instance we do as we are very casual and have a wide range of alts or players who join in so myself and another prot warr similar geared tank it - not really MT/OT as we normally chain pull through but similar ideas to new guild startin.

Basically as OT you do as first responce said just make sure you have both a tank set and dps set. Prot spec can kick out some great dps when needed with duel wield devistate spam (my record so far was jsut shy of 1000dps on aran but I had a very melee friendly group). As mentioned there are very few times you will be fully OT'ing however basically just follow the raid leaders directions - you will normally have 1 raid icon that is yours - and keep agro whilst the dps team take it out.

Difficult times are the groups of 4 shades, we normally have MT on the aoe casting one and then shackle 1 and OT takes 2 shades - of which the MT will take 1 from me whilst dps gets my 1st target. Then they go for the MT target whilst I pick up the shackle.

Just keep it fluid and watch the healers mana ;)

Mordigen
10-15-2008, 07:00 AM
I am doing the same thing, I main tank everything and stepping back down to Kara to help out a new tank learn the ropes and stuff. A lot of it depends on who is MT. Do they know their stuff? Can they handle pulls? Do they know when they will need you to help out? If you know the person knows his/her stuff then take it as a break and have fun with it. I usually stay in a partial tanking/dps gear to boost some dps but be ready in case needed. It will be a lot less of an issue now that we are doing more dps as prot spec. It might take some time to get use to working on staying second on threat since our MT instinct is to do what we can to be on top, so purposely hanging back takes time. If it is a cocky tank that is when I break out the stops and make him work for it, a challenge to stay ahead of me and that either shuts them up or makes them ask me what I do differently and in turn they learn from it.

Maybe best is to just let them know you are there if they need anything or have questions and add what you can to dps unless needed to OT.