PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed On the set for Hydross

Stoz
08-12-2008, 04:30 AM
Hi guys.
Our guild is about to take on this boss in SSC, we have downed everything else in there but our tanks have been asked to get our frost and nature sets together.

I am getting the Frost set and have had all the epics crafted, and also the ring and neck piece.

I went by this guide Hydross the Unstable/Resistance Gear - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft (http://www.wowwiki.com/Hydross_the_Unstable/Resistance_Gear)

If you get an enchant on a shield or shoulders is it there forever, as i only have the nightbane shield so do i really want to put a frost resist on it and then lose my stamina buff ?
Same with shoulders and the cloak ?

Also the frost armour kit, if i get these on my hands, legs etc they will have the enchant on, should i just buy a cheap shiled and hands legs etc to put these on, can they been green any help would be great
Regards
Matt

Squeegiemama
08-12-2008, 04:36 AM
The enchants aren't permanent, as in they can be overwritten by enchanting the item with a different enchant. The same goes for the armor kits.

Armor is not needed, just go for items with stamina and frost resistance. The problem with buying a green shield from the AH is you often lose the important defense stats and stamina found on tanking shields.

Remember with the druids GotW and possibly the paladin aura, you dont need to reach the cap unbuffed.

Shortypop
08-12-2008, 04:38 AM
Yep, enchants/leatherworking patches don't stack, so your best option is to find some spare gear - also it's not crucial that you are at exactly resistance cap, get to within 20 or so of it, would be my advice, remembering you should get frost resistance aura.

You might have some spare gear lying around - I used my T3 hands (maiden's ones in my main tank set); and I used Netherspite shoulders (T4 in my main tank set), but otherwise didn't bother with +frost res patches/enchants (except on items which are pure frost resistance stuff to start with). The SSO shield is also an option, depending on your rep level. Get close to the frost resistance cap, close to the crit immune cap and as much health as you can :)

Stoz
08-12-2008, 04:41 AM
i can buy a dawnforged for the shield, its just the shoulders, hands, feet, legs im worried about....i need to get looking for some plate stuff in the ah ?

Squeegiemama
08-12-2008, 04:43 AM
An old tanking shoulder is the best way to go...I used Shoulderguards of the Bold with void sphere in them. There is a frost leg piece. Any old tanking glove or boot is going to help with a void sphere in it.

Shortypop
08-12-2008, 04:45 AM
What's your frost res, defense/resilience and health in the gear you have atm -- so epic crafted stuff and then normal tank gear in the other slots -- even better log out in it and we'll examine you :D

PS. Or click on "chat" on the top menu and we'll talk to you in the shoutbox!

Shadevarr
09-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Since you can't block hydross we don't even bother with a shield and just equip sun eater in our off hand. TPS stays up, rage flow is high and our damage intake is great. We use 2 prot warriors whom have a macro to intervene the other and for the transitions the inactive tank moves just within intervene range on the other side and informs the active tank to intervene him. Instant transition, no worrying about tanks dying from lack of heals during repositioning. Only drawback is that add spawn location can be a little erratic.

uglybbtoo
09-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Exactly as the man says it not blockable only resistable.

If you are in badge gear you can also easily tank both phases just get roughly 150 resistance both schools and transition him at 100% dont wait for 260.

150 resistance plus buffs will put you over 200 resistance and thats about 40-60% damage blocked which is enuf.

You will lose some dps because you transition faster and more adds but means you arent co-ordinating tanks.

This is a fraps of a pally tank doing it but no diff for any class of tank
Hydros Single Tanked | Veoh Video Network (http://www.veoh.com/videos/v152368325aNhSHmr)

If you are really geared not even the resist set is need just transition at 100%

Fayre
09-25-2008, 07:23 AM
I did all the maths for almost all of my guild's tanks for Hydross - full resistance tanks, and the mixed ones. These are some of the tricks I used:

- Try get some specific pieces you just put resistance stuff on. Shoulders are a good piece for this - old Bold shoulders with +7 res enchant and two void spheres, or perhaps hands - Felsteel Gloves with void spheres and armor patch.

- Another way to 'fix' the resistance/def problem is to manufacture yourself some really high +def pieces - stack up those felsteel gloves with +8 def gems and +def armor enchant - so that you can take out 'regular' gear for the odd green resistance piece.

- Try get yourself two +def trinkets - that helped a lot.

- A shield with resilience on is very useful - Merciless Gladiator as an example - you can also enchant that with +resi or +frost res.

Hope that helps.