PDA

View Full Version : The Olympics

Tatt
08-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Figured I would start a thread and get everyone's opinions on the olympics in China. I sat and watched the opening ceremonies with my children last night, and was truly blown away. That one night of entertainment supposedly ran close to 50 million dollars to produce, and truly showcased the beauty and abilities of the performing Chinese. For those who could not see it it was 2-3 hours of music, fireworks, performances, and amazing choreography that was truly captivating. They had 2008 drummers hammering away on drums that had been unearthed from an emperor's burial chamber which was supposedly dated at 500 BC. They had costumes and magic and a 500 foot flexible LCD TV. It was truly beautiful.

Then I woke up this morning and see that a Chinese citizen murdered the family of an American coach out of some misplaced sense of national pride. And I honestly couldn't remember a thing about the ceremony from the previous evening...

Note:
I am being told that my thread is pushing a political boundary, and if so I apologize, I am more trying to comment on my emotional feelings from these 2 events, not make a political statement or opinion. If it would help, remove any mention of any nationalities refered to.

Sleighbell
08-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Unfortunately there are zealots everywhere. Regardless of nationality, religion, moral ground, or any other social variable, if people are gathering on a common ground, someone is going to take it too far. Take it for what it is, an unfortunate event. The spirit of the Olympics is still there. The fact that someone can't draw the line between pride and prejudice shouldn't overshadow such a great event.

Ukyo
08-12-2008, 05:59 AM
It's been said a lot that there's issues with this year's olympics for all that Tibet Liberation movement that there's over there, and it sucks, because all of taints what the olympics are all about: Representing your country in one of the biggest sport events ever created. Things like this and the tragedy of "Black September" make you forget what you're actually watching.

But all in all, pretty good presentation, i was blown away also and couldn't even speak xD

Kazeyonoma
08-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Yeh, the ceremony blew me away, and just the sheer manpower the entire thing must've required to build all the stadiums in 7 years for this. The shooting... sigh, what can you say, there's always the crazies =T

Tatt
08-12-2008, 09:18 AM
I read 100 million dollars were spent jsut for the openng and closing ceremonies.

Horacio
08-12-2008, 11:33 AM
I've found myself strangely interested in the Olympics this time around. I was watching women's gymnastics with my 6 yo daughter and they brought up the 400m mens relay in swimming at every break. Then the quoted the French "smashing" the Americans. My interest was piqued.

I watched the race and found myself on the edge of my seat. When they came down the stretch, my fists were clenched and I grit my teeth. Holy shit, they're gonna catch em!

After the trash talk, seeing Jason Lezak run down that loud mouth Frenchy was just simply amazing. I have no real antipathy towards France...ok, maybe a little, but seeing that....one of the most amazing moments in sports (and I'm a HUGE baseball/football/Spurs fan) was thrilling.

lol, France got pwn'd. Again. Fail.

Tatt
08-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Definately the competitive highlight of the games so far :)

Alent
08-12-2008, 11:42 AM
When does france not get pwn'd? :D

http://www.worldoffail.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/fail2.jpg

Beaver = france.

Kazeyonoma
08-12-2008, 01:56 PM
I just watched that again too Horacio, it was epic.. .08 second win. SMASH THIS.

Bodasafa
08-13-2008, 08:50 PM
This may be a response some will not like and if its too opinonated feel free to remove it and I will understand. But heres my take....

I have boycotted the olympics, I will not be watching them or buying products from sponsors like coke or mc donalds.

Why?

Because China welched on every human rights condition it agreed to when they were awarded the chance to host the games.

Some ppl say "Well you shouldnt condem the athletes, their just there to compete"

Bull....

After China was awarded the chance to host the games, they took bus loads of people 300 miles outside Bejing into the wild, dumped them on the side of the road, and told them if they returned to their homes they would be arrested. They then bulldozed their homes to build the Olympic Village that these "athletes" are staying in while taking part in the games.

Shame on them.

I do not support this years Olympics or Communist China.

Ciderhelm
08-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Not going to delete posts, but please keep this a little less political. We do have Chinese visitors here.