PDA

View Full Version : Execute weapons

Durl
08-08-2008, 08:44 AM
I recently starting raiding as fury after being prot since level 50. One thing that I've been reading is that its advisable to switch to 2 fast weapons in execute range to heighten the chance of using execute every global cooldown and reduce wasted rage. My question is this: are there specific weapons to be looking for? Is it ok to use daggers since WW won't be used? Will weapon dps be a significant factor?

Kazeyonoma
08-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Daggers will be fine, during execute phase, you're basically just trying to generate smooth continuous rage.

What you normally want to do in this case is put in a fast offhand but keep a slow mainhand, so that your fast offhand generates continuous small rage, while the mainhand will generate enough rage to just execute as you go, it smooths it out instead of having 2 fast and just generating rage too fast or 2 slow and generating rage too slow. One thing though is that downgrading a weapon's overall dps just for a faster one isn't necessarily a good thing, to jump from say... a 2.6 second weapon that is 100dps to a 1.6 second 80 dps weapon IS NOT what you want to do just because it's faster.

rascalion
08-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Quickening Blade of the Prince makes an excellent OH for Execute spam.

ebs2002
08-08-2008, 12:29 PM
If I have the badge MH, and then
Quickening Blade of the Prince and Edge of Oppression, is it better to use the quickening blade for its higher dps and armor pen, or the edge for its extra haste and 1.3 attack speed?

For a while, I was using both (edge MH, quickening blade OH), but I now realize that it's stupid to go from 100dps to 87dps in my mainhand....so which is better for the offhand?

Kazeyonoma
08-08-2008, 01:40 PM
I'd use blade.

Durl
08-08-2008, 03:30 PM
So I'll probably end up Vanir's Left Fist of Savagery.

Astrariann
08-14-2008, 09:03 AM
How much of a drop in weapon dps is too much? Cant seem to find an exact answer for this...
5dps?
10dps?

My primary weapons are Vanir's Fists in MH and OH. 103.0 dps on both.

For my execute set I can use Akil'zon's Talonblade @ 95.7dps for MH,
and Gladiator's Hacker @ 91.0dps for OH.
Is this too much of a drop?
Im going to assume the Gladiators Hacher is a pos.
Would it be worth it to grind and spend some honor on a Merciless Gladiators Hacker @ 97.7dps?
How much of a dps boost will having a good execute set give me?

haha....sorry thats a lot of questions
--Astra
-not sure how to do those nifty wowhead links...sorry

Kazeyonoma
08-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Vanir's fists aren't that slow, I'd say that you could probably just stick with them and generate more steady rage with them than shifting to 8 dps drop. I dunno the magic number either, just try it one day and see if you find rage smoother =T

Durl
08-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Vanir's fists aren't that slow, I'd say that you could probably just stick with them and generate more steady rage with them than shifting to 8 dps drop. I dunno the magic number either, just try it one day and see if you find rage smoother =T

Its the 1.50 speed one. There's 2 different offhands.

Durl
08-14-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm currently using Vanir's Right Fist of Brutality and Vanir's Left Fist of Brutality.

Available to me (not all of which I've obtained yet) is:

Vanir's Left Fist of Savagery
Quickening Blade of the Prince
Swiftsteel Bludgeon
Shard of Azzinoth

Of the 4, which would make the best overall execute range offhand?

infazci
08-15-2008, 03:36 AM
[Swiftsteel Bludgeon] and [Vanir's Left Fist of Savagery]

We want to execute at every GCD, so we need to have rage available. Therefore we need weapons at speeds 1.5s or less (lag factor).

btw I use bludgeon and offhand claw from MH, but I didnt enchant them. Which would be more effective, executioner/mongoose or mongoose/mongoose, or go cheap and mongoose/potency? Consider average connection speed of 300ms :P Thanks!

Chosenx
09-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Bumping this cos I am interested in an answer as well. I can usually hit execute on almost every gcd with 2 2.6 speed weapons (one of which is mounting vengeance) and I'm wondering whether it is worth swapping one of those weapons out for quickening blade of the prince out of h mgt.

My 2 weapons atm are merc gladiator's slicer and mounting vengeance. Any ideas here?

chops
09-10-2008, 11:43 PM
I guess ideally, the drop shouldn't be too large in DPS, but u should switch to fast weapons for Execute range.

I've the 2.5 badge fists as main weapons & Quickening Blade of the Prince with exec & Akil'zon's Talonbladewith +20 str enchant

still yields me decent dmg & pretty good rage to spam excute & the odd Bloodthirst if its up since my AP is high enuff for BT to do more dmg per rage than execute.

Brucimus
09-11-2008, 01:02 AM
I use the Quckening Blade of the Prince on my Main Hand and Blazefury in my off hand for exacute spam.

Rid
09-11-2008, 02:31 PM
I've read that executioner/mongoose is the way to go for your execute weapons, Potency won't do much because execute isn't affected by AP as far as I know. Your execute still benefits from the ArP from executioner.

Brucimus
09-11-2008, 02:53 PM
I've read that executioner/mongoose is the way to go for your execute weapons, Potency won't do much because execute isn't affected by AP as far as I know. Your execute still benefits from the ArP from executioner.

yep. I was thinking the same as I was shelling out the cash to enchant Executioner on the Quickening Blade wich i rarely use except for execute spamming

Then I read later on that keeping the regualar rotation may be better since i'm usally around 2800 raid buffed AP

Inaara
09-11-2008, 04:14 PM
I use 2 Swiftsteel Bludgeon's. One with Executioner and 1 with Mongoose.

Rid
09-11-2008, 04:46 PM
I read this was true for arms. Anybody know anything about why fury would not want to stop executing? Or if i'm just on crack. I guess the levels should be different and at some amount of AP the fixed damage of execute will be overtaken by your rotation. Also as fury if you have lots of rage I heard you should also BT then execute

yep. I was thinking the same as I was shelling out the cash to enchant Executioner on the Quickening Blade wich i rarely use except for execute spamming

Then I read later on that keeping the regualar rotation may be better since i'm usally around 2800 raid buffed AP

Chosenx
09-11-2008, 09:09 PM
It depends on the amount of buffed attack power you have at the time. I think if it is over 2900 (easy to get) then you should be BTing if it is up instead of executing. However I don't think the difference is that big, but definately look out for it if you are reaching those levels buffed.

Check the DW Fury Guide that is stickied, the exact values are explained in there.

Rid
09-12-2008, 08:28 AM
Aye my guild is small though (so mainly 10 mans except for the occasional 25 man pug) and full of casters so I rarely get much in the way of buffs. I've read the guide before but I'll go check it out again for those numbers.

BTW can someone explain again why fast non dagger weapons are better for execute weapons than daggers. (Same thing for tanking). I know it's do with normalized speed, do I simply generate less rage due to the normalization. Do I generate rage from the (fudge factor) * damage * (normalized weapon speed)?

Fame
09-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Since I'm sword MS sword spec, I use two swords. Otherwise I would simply look for the quickest weapons which have high dps and decent stats for chain execute rage such as hit/haste.

Huor
09-12-2008, 05:19 PM
i use 2 Blade of Savagery - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32369) with 20 str on em ( mongoose would be better but im to cheep to do that on a wep i only use for like 2 min of a boss fight at most)

Chétto
09-29-2008, 02:49 PM
would the brutalizer and unbreakable will, work as execute weapons?

Tatt
09-29-2008, 03:42 PM
If one of them has hit rating or you are human or orc and get a racial they would work. They both have good dps, but do not really have dps stats like AP or crit on them. I would say they would be ok UNTIL you were able to pick up something better.

AlidenKiller
10-16-2008, 02:52 PM
I apologize in advance, but I'm a level 27 warrior, and I don't understand the phrase:

> u should switch to fast weapons for Execute range.

I know what "Execute" is, but I keep seeing the phrase "Execute range." What the heck are you guys talking about? I presume that it's some situation under which you switch weapons and go crazy casting Execute, but what is that situation?

Thanks!

Kazeyonoma
10-16-2008, 02:54 PM
yes, it's when the target mobs health (namely bosses only) gets to 19% or lower. at this point you can use the skill execute and you just try to fire off execute continuously as this is the best dps method for warriors. Presumably.

AlidenKiller
10-16-2008, 03:54 PM
yes, it's when the target mobs health (namely bosses only) gets to 19% or lower. at this point you can use the skill execute and you just try to fire off execute continuously as this is the best dps method for warriors. Presumably.

I see. At level 27 when the mobs get down to 19% by the time my finger gets to the Execute button the mob is usually dead.

I *pray* for mobs that will last long enough that I can get off an Execute. :)

Kazeyonoma
10-16-2008, 07:06 PM
haha, yeh it changes when you do instances or at level 70 when bosses have upwards of 1million hp =P 19% = 190k hp.

Turpin
10-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Ever since the rage equation was changed a while back it's pretty hard to increase rage gen significantly from having higher dps weapons. That would point toward using 2 fast weapons (1.5 speed after all haste effects).

Now for Arms things get a bit tricky and im pretty sure the math needs to be redone regarding when calculating at what AP to stay with the regular rotation.

Things that will have to be considered for Arms:

1. You are not geared for +hit as much as fury wars might be so +hit on execute weapons is good. Any way of reducing the chances of missing both attacks for a GC and thus missing an execute should be important.
2. The sudden death 9% on hit proc rate will proc more to return 10 rage with faster weapons. This means that with imp execute talent and T6 set bonus you can miss your attacks for the next GC and still be able to execute!
3. the execute glyph will increase your execute dps putting more value on making sure to never miss a CD
4. Imp Execute talent pre WOTLK made a large difference in making sure you dont miss globals. Anger management (since it tics) can help as well.
5. If you dont have flurry need faster weapons to compensate
6. Your weapon spec will be important, esp if you get your racial expertise (-1.25% dodge) with it.
7. Since battle seems to be the prefered arms dps stance now, switching to zerk for +3% crit should also be accounted for when doing related math.

For leveling up/initial lvl 80 instances/raids i think i will put more emphasis on fast weapons and minimizing my miss/dodge chance above all else, unless some math shows that switching to DW execute spam doesnt make sense anymore given the new arms changes.

Kazeyonoma
10-21-2008, 02:31 PM
how did the rage gen formula change to not favor higher dps weapons? if you hit harder, and faster, ideally, you generate smoother rage...

Turpin
10-23-2008, 10:19 AM
I just meant the difference in increase rage per sec from increasing your weapon dps by 20 is alot smaller than you might think. For many situations and when comparing to the other factors ive listed it is close to negligible. Before the change war's with end game weapons like the AQ axe had a much larger dps boost because the extra dps on their weapons led to extra rage which could be turned into extra dps in addition to everything else.