PDA

View Full Version : Top end on weapons

ZymanHWL
08-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Hey might be kind of a noob quesiton but can't seem to find much on it.
I have been deciding on my s4 fury weapons and an interesting thing came out looking at the swords and the fist weapons.
The fists are more of a broad range and higher top end while the swords are a tighter but higher low end but lower top end then the fists. So i guess my question is
What does top end damage effect for a warrior? Does is effect specials? white hits?

ebs2002
08-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Higher top-end damage can increase the damage on your whirlwinds, but lower bottom-end damage can hurt your damage on whirlwinds, too. Also, with a broader damage range, your rage generation will be spottier (sometimes you'll only get 10 rage from a white attack, sometimes you'll get 25...that sort of thing). On average though, it will even itself out and you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.

Top-end damage is more important in PvP, where a higher number means higher maximum burst potential (important for cutting through that Power Word: Shield or bursting down that mage). In PvP your overall DPS isn't as important as your maximum burst, but in PvE over a 9-minute fight, there won't be much of a difference.

The only other potential deciding factor on which weapon to get would be planning for WotLK, if you're looking at a weapon specialization (we don't have one for fists, obviously).

ZymanHWL
08-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Well i don't PvP fury, but just lookin at my options for my s4 1h weapons in BT/Hyjal raids

ebs2002
08-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Then it really doesn't matter much. The fists will vary your rage generation more than the swords will, but you probably won't notice much of a difference. Personally, I'd pick the swords over the fists just because I like consistency...I'd rather use Heroic Strike steadily, then have to dump rage quick because I'm about to cap out, and other times be low on rage and not HS for a while...but like I said, it's probably not even really noticeable

Corbusier
08-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Top end is utterly irrelevant in terms of DPS. The much more important factor is average weapon damage. Two weapons with the same speed and DPS will always have the same average damage, even if their damages ranges differ considerably.

Korlong
08-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Two weapons with the same speed and DPS will always have the same average damage, even if their damages ranges differ considerably.

Well by definition the DPS value on a weapon is computed as

(MIN + MAX) / (2 * SPEED)

So yes.

In answer to the OP's question, it's not going to make a huge amount of difference. I will say however, that the forward-thinking choice for WotLK would be axes.