PDA

View Full Version : Yay, another "Switched to Fury" thread!

ebs2002
08-01-2008, 10:37 AM
Hey guys,

My guild being overrun with tanks, I was asked to switch to fury and off-tank when needed (FLK, Al'ar, etc). We're 5/6 SSC, 3/4 TK, and will be most likely skipping Vashj/Kael for Hyjal/BT.

Here's my armory: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Earthen+Ring&n=Curnguz)
I'm in berserker stance if you see me at 31% crit :)

My question is another one of those basic ones: what should I be looking for to upgrade? I know that T5 shoulders would be huge for me, but that's going to be a ways away, as I already got T5 tanking shoulders before they asked me to switch. I could easily get the plate ones off of Hydross, and I could probably find time to farm honor for S2.

I have 1700 arena points to spend, and was considering getting the S4 gloves, but I think it may be better if I held out until my arena team broke 1550 for the legs and picking up T5 gloves, since they're itemized better.

I also don't really have time to farm honor as much as I'd like, but can definitely look into honor upgrades if they're worthwhile.

Lastly, I know that you only "need" a hit rating of 95, but my rage generation is a little spotty at times and I think I'd like to get it up a little more, so the upgrades I'm looking for have hit/str/crit or hit/str/ap, especially at the start of a fight. I have Steelhawk Crossbow bagged and Distracting Blades equipped; should I swap them? I also have Shoulderpads of the Silvermoon Retainer bagged and Shoulderplates of Everlasting Pain equipped for the blue gem slot; is this the right call?

Tatt
08-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Personally I think the magister's shoulders are horrible itemization...are you guys doing Rage yet? I know my guild and many others are jumping around since attunements are out the window. He drops blood-stained pauldrons. Also you can find Ripfiend shoulderplates on AH now that Doom Lord Kazzak gear is BoE, or jsut set up some DlK kills of your own, it takes less than 3 minutes to kill him with raiders with your gear. 130-150 hit usually feels a lot more comfortable for me rage wise. I would use crossbow over distracting blades. I would also aim for a different trinket than the skycross, at 70 you are not getting any use out of the proc, get a bloodlust brooch or DST or Berserker's Call or Tsunami Talisman, or even hourglass fo the unraveler if you are worried about crit. Badge leather boots are very good too, and have hit rating on them.

ebs2002
08-01-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm first on the list for Solarian's Sapphire if it drops, so that's my main goal. DST/Berserker's Call/Tsunami are going to be defaulting to the rogues and hunters in the guild, I'm sure, and once I get the sapphire I'd be bagging them anyway.

I just have the skycross for lack of a better option. Bloodlust Brooch would be a good investment, but my badge income is low (no more Kara runs for me, I don't have the time), so it would be a few weeks.

And Rage's shoulders were a "duh" moment for me. We haven't killed him yet, but I know he'll likely be our first target next week, so that's a great thing to look forward to.

I know the plate shoulders are poorly itemized, but it's much better to go with a blue gem in them and picking up a decent socket bonus, than it is blue-gemming my RBoB, right?

Tatt
08-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah, if you have nowhere else to put the blue gem, but I think S2 shoulders would be a big upgrade over those. Shoulders with no hit or crit just seem meh to me. Didn't think about solarian's sapphire, for some reason I always associate that more with arms warriors, guess it depends what group you will normally be with.

ebs2002
08-01-2008, 01:21 PM
We currently run with me as fury, 2 rogues, and 2-3 hunters. Typical melee dps group is fury/rog/rog/hnt/hnt (the 3rd hunter swapped in when I'm tanking), unless we have an extra shaman on hand (we have an ele shammy who's in the caster group, and a resto who's in the healing group).

We don't have an arms warrior because it would really only benefit the tanks and the two rogues.

Tatt
08-01-2008, 01:29 PM
It would benefit you as well to have an arms warrior. You and the rogues would benefit from the sapphire, I do not think the hunter's would benefit from it. Seeing your group makes me want to go hug my permanent enhance shammy :)

ebs2002
08-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Haha, yeah, it would benefit me...but chances are, it would be me who's the arms warrior ;-)

And yeah, I wish we had an enhance shammy...we have one who may switch to Enhancement, at least on some nights..but the past few nights we needed him to heal :(

Tatt
08-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Solarian's might become much more valuable after xpac when battle shout affects the entire raid (if in proximity) instead of just group, if it follows the totems change. I also just remembered that lurker drops very good dps plate bracers with hit, that you will not replace till all your rogues have Rage's bracers, so keep an eye out for it when the tanks are scrambling for mallet of the tides.

Allmwar
08-01-2008, 07:15 PM
your best bet is to get the gloves from Gruuls, much better than t5, wont get better till you see hyjal/bt.

Gauntlets of Martial Perfection

MaxDPS.com - World of Warcraft Gear Rankings - News (http://www.maxdps.com) is fairly accurate for fury warriors from what i've found.

Corbusier
08-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Actually the Gauntlets of Rapidity from badges are slightly better than the Gruul gloves for fury.

ebs2002
08-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Assuming that Gruul's is not in my future (it's non-progression for my guild, and I have limited number of raiding time, GG getting married), what's the best badge purchase for me?

- The mail gloves are nice, although I have the arena points to buy S4 gloves and am currently wearing S3.
- The badge off-hand (I'm currently using Fury)
- Something else (2.4 legs, but I have S3. 2.4 chest, but I have Bulwark of the Ancient Kings. Dory's Embrace but I have Cloak of Darkness. etc.)

Kazeyonoma
08-04-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm liking the badge offhand, it's cheap too, Or dory's I wouldn't get the chest.

ebs2002
08-04-2008, 09:57 AM
According to spreadsheets and maxdps.com, dory's is a downgrade for me. The extra arp would be nice for when I pick up more, sure, but it doesn't look like a real upgrade at this point.

You're liking the badge offhand over the rapidity gloves first, though? You didn't mention the gloves, that's why I'm asking :)

Tatt
08-04-2008, 09:59 AM
I have the same problem, I bought Dory's without looking at the spreadsheets, then realized for PVE right now my Vengeance Wrap is better.....Badge Fist OH is sweet, and costs like 1/2 what the gloves do.

Kazeyonoma
08-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Best thing you can do is spreadsheet it and see which one gives the highest dps increase really. I'd offer to do it for you and tatt but work no lets me haz the open Office.

ebs2002
08-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Yeah, that's what I'll wind up doing; spreadsheets and dividing increase of DPS by number of badges...was just wondering if anyone had done similar and had a pretty clear-cut answer. I should have known better though :p

Crimsonstorm
08-04-2008, 03:10 PM
First of all, when you hit T6 content your need for tanks in your guild will drop massively, many T6 bosses require only 1 tank. Hyjal trash you should spec a pally prot (if you dont have one), even if his gear sucks, itll be much much easier. BT trash you dont need more than 3 tanks and some bosses require 1 tank only (Najentus, Gorefiend, RoS).

My guild had 7 tanks on the roster for T5 and now has 4. We switched 2 warriors to dps and 1 druid to healing, and of the remaining tanks a druid is considering going boomkin and one of the two warriors basically doesnt go to Sunwell after kalecgos because he isnt the MT and he doesnt have dps gear.

If you want to raid consistently as a warrior in T6 content your options are to be the MT or dps, basically.

I have 1700 arena points to spend, and was considering getting the S4 gloves, but I think it may be better if I held out until my arena team broke 1550 for the legs and picking up T5 gloves, since they're itemized better.

Arena gloves arent great for dps, they spend points on that reduced cost hamstring thing that you dont need for raiding. Save the arena points for Legs, Chest, Helm, all of which are AMAZING. Helm and Chest should be achievable at least.

For trinket, yeah get Solarians, and go grind Heroic Magisters until you get Shard of Contempt. Youll want it for both DPS and Tanking. The Dargonspine/Tsunami/etc. trinkets are good, but rogues, hunters, enhance shammies and ret pallies should get them over you, since Solarian's+Shard of Contempt is so good for you.

Crimsonstorm
08-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Cloak:

Dory's and Vengeance wrap are about a wash, depends on your ArP. With a lot of ArP Dory is better. If badges are an issue get vengeance wrap.

Badge spending:
#1 Offhand fist. It rules.
#2 Angelista's Revenge. It also rules.

Pretty much no plate items are worth it. If T5 stuff isnt better then arena stuff is, or if nothing else, then a Mail or Leather piece. The Crossbow is expensive but good, but not a big upgrade. Mainhand fist weapon is good if you arent a blacksmith (for Dragonstrike).

ebs2002
08-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Yeah, we've already seen that happen. When I first was brought along, we had 4 tank spots for 6 or 7 tanks on the roster, and we were starting SSC and still farming Gruul/Mags. Luckily, I had a more flexible availability and was able to raid even though I was a newer warrior, because I could make it on days that other tanks couldn't.

Recently, though, my guild realized that having it's better to have a fury warrior off-tank on the fights that it's needed (Hydross adds, Al'ar on the ground, FLK priest, solarian priests, Lurker, Hyjal trash, etc), than to have a prot warrior switch to DPS gear on the fights that it's not needed (Void Reaver, Leo, Morogrim, Hyjal bosses).

So, to make a long story short, my guild leadership did the math and saw that I was a weaker-geared tank (still capable of starting T6, but not as well geared as our 17k hp/18k armor MT), and a well-geared T5 dpser (lots of S3, badge MH, etc), and decided to make me go fury and off-tank when needed.

Now, our full time tanks for starting Hyjal look like this:
2 Prot warriors (one 16k/17k and one 17k/18k)
1 Prot Pally
1 Pally who can go prot or holy
1 warrior who can go prot or fury
0 druids :(

And a handful of prot warriors who are part-time raiders.

As for trinkets, I already have Shard of Contempt...got it within a month of 2.4, and I'm rolling with the Skyguard cross until the solarian drops for me, which I know I'll get by default because I'm the only full-time DPS warrior we have.

And thanks for the advice on the S4 legs vs gloves; I had an inkling that the gloves weren't worth it, and now I'm just gonna grind until I can get my rating to 1550 for the legs after realizing that nothing's better until Sunwell.

Tatt
08-04-2008, 03:32 PM
I think the Gruul gloves would be better than S3 or S4 gloves until Silent Justice drop for you, get it on a Gruul pug if you can.

ebs2002
08-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Cloak:

Dory's and Vengeance wrap are about a wash, depends on your ArP. With a lot of ArP Dory is better. If badges are an issue get vengeance wrap.

I have 350 without the embrace, and have darkness because it was what was available to me at the time. The dory's appears to be a slight upgrade at the moment, but not really worth it until I get more arp. Vengeance is something I'm looking into, but again, I'm not sure the cost is worth the small upgrade, spreadsheets show it as only 1-2dps increase.

Badge spending:
#1 Offhand fist. It rules.
#2 Angelista's Revenge. It also rules.

Pretty much no plate items are worth it. If T5 stuff isnt better then arena stuff is, or if nothing else, then a Mail or Leather piece. The Crossbow is expensive but good, but not a big upgrade. Mainhand fist weapon is good if you arent a blacksmith (for Dragonstrike).
I have the MH fist (I'm an armorsmith, using BotAK), and I have the angelista's revenge already (first fury purchase I made). I've narrowed it down to offhand fist vs 2.4 mail gloves, but I'm pretty sure that the OH fist is worth it, just gotta plug into the spreadsheet to double-check...actually, I'll do that right now....

with buffs I normally get, no shammy in group (/cry) :
Current DPS: 1376.83
Badge OH+Mongoose: 1402.46
Gauntlets of Rapidity: 1387.06

Badge OH is far and away the better choice. Thanks guys :)

ebs2002
08-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Getting the Gruul gloves would put me at 1381dps (an extra 5dps). Definitely an upgrade, but not worth the hassle right now. I'm content with my current ones, if only because I don't have the TIME to do gruul's right now :(

Thanks for the help everyone :)

Tatt
08-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Please tell me what spreadsheet you are using. I plugged in my stats on Maxdps and only hit 1200 and change with windfury. Or if you do not mind plug my stats into your spreadsheet and let me know the results.

2070 AP
29.92 crit
175 hit
56 ArP
23 haste
11 expertise
2.6 Main hand 97 damage
2.5 OH 103 damage

and I get all the nice pally buffs and shamans, no ferals though for the 5% crit

Crimsonstorm
08-04-2008, 04:11 PM
My guild focuses heavily on stacking all buff classes, especially for progression raids, usually I have Enhance Shaman who totem twists in group, and 3 pally buffs, Ret pally, Boomkin w/Imp Faerie Fire, Survival Hunter, in raid, and am generally missing only a feral druid in group. :)
(I do blood frenzy and give the melee group Imp Battle shout with Solarian's).

Stacking raid buffs helps a lot :)

Kazeyonoma
08-04-2008, 04:17 PM
He's using the one from Elitist Jerks. Much more comprehensive than Max DPS and allows even down to gemming and gear upgrades. But you need to download and install OpenOffice for it to work. Hence why I can't use it at work. He has a link to it, I can't find mine right now. =P

And ebs, try to hop onto a gruul's pug on weekends or something, Pugs sometimes are fun =P

ebs2002
08-05-2008, 08:12 AM
The sheet I use: [Warrior] Fury DPS Spreadsheet for 2.4 - Elitist Jerks (http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t23083-warrior_fury_dps_spreadsheet_2_4_a/)
Sorry Tatt, there's not an easy way to just "plug in stats" without possibly screwing up my sheet, it's based on gear.

It's hard to tell if it's accurate for me or not, because I haven't done tank'n'spank fights with it yet (except Void Reaver, and I frequently get threat capped there). But I trust it more than any other sheet (and certainly over MaxDPS, which I only use to get a quick reference of potential upgrades in a given slot).

And yeah, my guild focuses on stacking buffs too, it's just that melee gets the shaft because we're under-represented (no enhancement shammies, no feral druids, only two rogues, three hunters, and me. We only have one or two shammies, and the resto buffs the healing group and the elemental buffs the mage/lock group). The guild leader has said that there are some changes in the works for us melees, which I think means that they're thinking of promoting a shammy to core to spec Enh, but until it happens this is what I've got to work with.

We do typically have 3-4 pallies on our raids, which helps when tanks get might/kings/light and whatever that prot pally buff is that reduces incoming damage.

And I just found out that there may be some gruul's runs in my future; the wife got a new job and we're moving, but I can't leave my job til the end of the month and she's moving out on the 15th. That means I can make our monday night gruul runs!