PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on Badge Upgrades

Creampuf
07-31-2008, 11:16 AM
My armory is here: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Alleria&n=Creampuf)

After tonight's Kara run I'll have around 120 badges.

I'm trying to figure out what I should upgrade first. Seeing as I can upgrade multiple pieces and be closer to a 3rd upgrade by going with some of the smaller items, versus going for the 100 badge items, I'm having a hard time figuring out what is right for me.

My guild does Kara regularly, and we've just started to play in ZA. But ZA runs honesty don't happen but once every 2 or 3 weeks. We are talking about an alliance with another guild to get into ZA and Gru'ul but that has been going on for a while without much movement.

What I'm trying to figure out is what is the best value for me now, given what I'm likely to get as we move into ZA. My expectation is that I'll easily have another 150 - 200 or more badges before we even clear ZA, let alone have it on a farm status in the same way that Kara is. The only item from Kara that I can still really call an upgrade would be KD. I also am running regular Mech runs for Sun Eater, but that might take till the end of time :)

Here's the breakdown of what would change:

Legs: cost 100 Badges

-24 Strength
+30 Stamina
+275 Armor
+16 Defense
+6 Dodge
+23 Expertise
-2 Yellow Slots
+1 Blus Slot
Ring: 60 Badges

+10 Stamina
+140 Armor
+28 Dodge
-17 Expertise
Bracers: 35 Badges

-25 Strength
+9 Stamina
-69 Armor
+23 Defense
-17 Resilience
-21 Critical Strike
+22 Expertise
-1 Yellow Slot
Back: 35 Badges

+7 Stamina
+79 Armor
-9 Defense
+25 Dodge
Chest: 100 Badges

+27 Stamina
+315 Armor
+25 Defense
-24 Shield Block Rating
+34 Dodge Rating
+1 Red Slot
-1 Yellow Slot
-2 Blue Slots

mero12513
07-31-2008, 11:49 AM
From what i can see, I'd say go with the Chest first, and then the bracers. You seem pretty solid on your aggro stats right now, with 29 expertise (although some more hit might be nice). The Chest is your 2nd largest EH upgrade and your best Avoidance upgrade by far. After that, you'll still be very close to the bracers, which are (I think) your second largest avoidance upgrade and even more expertise is still something to smile about.

After those 2, start saving for the legs.

Creampuf
07-31-2008, 01:11 PM
I agree that the Chest is a massive avoidance upgrade. If I did the math correctly it is just slightly more than 3%. What bothers me though, is that I lose 2 gem slots, so it is really only 3 more stamina after +12 stam gems is figured into the mix.

If I plug the armor value, health of (10*total stamina change), and avoidance into the EH calculator here, I get an EH value of +34 for the chest piece. That's .3 EH per badge.

The bracers actually cost me EH once the gem slot is figured in.

By way of contrast, if I get the Back and Ring, I gain 17 total stamina, 2.5 avoidance, and using the same method, 192 EH. Plus I have 25 badges left over.

For the Legs, I get 204 EH, but only 1.06 avoidance.

So I'm not really sold that the chest is the right way to go. I think I've decided that the bracers are actually worse than what I have now, as the EH change on them is -33!!!

So I think it is down to back and ring leaving 25 badges to the next piece, or legs, leaving 20 badges to the next piece.

With the Legs I get roughly 12 more EH, but I lose 1.6% avoidance over the back and ring combo.

I'm a little confused on the relationship between EH and avoidance on actual impact. I suspect that more avoidance means an easier time for the healer compared to more stamina even if the resulting EH is effectively the same. Am I right in that thinking?

mero12513
07-31-2008, 01:40 PM
Traditional wisdom is that Avoidance is better for content at or slightly below your current gear level. EH is better if you're pushing content.

Considering that and with my limited knowledge of gear-to-content choices, I'd say go for more avoidance if you're OK focusing on Kara, mag, and Gruuls for a while longer, but if you're looking to move quickly through ZA and on to tier 5 as fast as possible, go EH.

But again, I'm kind of a n00b myself so take everything I say with a couple pounds of salt.

commacozzee
08-01-2008, 04:42 AM
EH also changes for each boss fight, which is why so many tanks say having multiple different gear sets and mixing and matching gear for each fight is essential. for instance, prince is def a fight that you want more avoidance for. on nightbane you want high EH.

the idea that EH is for progression and avoidance is for farm content is flawed, though it's based on old experience. the idea is that if you're reaching new content, you can reach minimum EH only by stacking stam, but that is just not true, especially with the wide array of gear available at low progression levels nowadays.

conclusion: you are gearing for gruul's and za. look up those fights, find out what the minimum EH should be for the most EH-demanding fights and be able to reach them. then look elsewhere for threat and avoidance stats. different fights call for different gear. gruul and zul'jin require high EH, and you need to be prepared for that. again, research the fights you are preparing for and gear accordingly for each boss.