PDA

View Full Version : Some advice

thetank
07-27-2008, 04:23 PM
I am a prot warrior. However i want to get to about 500 - 600 dps during fights. not farming.

for example when we do the timed za most of the run im in my dps gear. im 2k unbuffed in my offset fury gear.

i was told to spam devistate. and dont get me wrong it works good. but even with salv on. i build to much threat.

it makes me pull about 1.2 tps which is to high. so i spend most of the fights auto swinging. which in turn drop sme to about 300 dps with is bs to say the least

what would be a good spell rotation? or even spec where i can tank bear and lynx etc and still pull that dps.

im really stuck on this one.

any help?

fastidius
07-27-2008, 09:21 PM
just to clarify, Your crit/hit, your dual wielding in beserker? try a dev 5 times for sunder then swap to 2 hander and see if that helps...should be a bit better.. dont spam dev add whirlwind and HS to the rotation. Dev applies sunder = threat...try rotations when 5 sunders are up. itll reduce your threat and maybe some DPS but you will be better than useless.

your somewhat stuck if you need to go deep into prot...

Reod
07-28-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm curious. Why would a prot warrior ever equip a two handed weapon? Also I thought devestate did LESS threat once 5 sunders were stacked?

phaze
07-28-2008, 09:15 AM
I am a prot warrior. However i want to get to about 500 - 600 dps during fights.

it makes me pull about 1.2 tps which is to high. so i spend most of the fights auto swinging.

These two statements don't go together. If you're generating 1.2k TPS from 600 DPS, then you're missing either Berserker Stance, Blessing of Salvation, or both. Fix these two problems. ;)

Why would a prot warrior ever equip a two handed weapon? Also I thought devestate did LESS threat once 5 sunders were stacked?

There's no reason for a Prot Warrior to use a 2h weapon for DPS; DW Fury gear with Devastate is the way to go. Yes, Devastate's threat goes to baseline once the sunder stack is up, but it still has a rather hefty base threat bonus.

If you happen to pull aggro on trash as a Prot Warrior, then stun it. If you're stealing aggro more often than that, then you're doing something wrong (most likely not waiting for the tank to build aggro).

Shadevarr
08-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Build a solid DPS set, badge gear really helps and enchant it all properly. Zerk stance, keep battle shout up, zerk rage and WW on CD, dev in between. Of course rage dump with H strike as always and execute spam at 19% or less (I don't even bother using anything else in exec range). This alone for my gear level generates about ~500 dps on single targets, higher if I can get victims for the whirlwind.

thetank
08-18-2008, 06:48 AM
thanks Shadevarr. ill try it.. ill let you know how i go :)

Slobash
08-18-2008, 12:43 PM
1200 TPS when not tanking is pretty nuts. What's your gear level like? If you're offtanking ZA and have decent gear you can easily get away with speccing mostly fury and putting 13 or 14 in prot for defiance, tactical mastery etc. Means your dps output is big but you still have threat increasing talents while in def stance and TM means your bloodthirsts have more threat. And Imp Bers means less threat while in Bers.

I run with 0/47/14 for our bear runs (0/48/13 is the more accepted OT spec but I like last stand and it's saved my arse a few times) and have no trouble with bear and lynx, if need be I can put on sword and board for tanking trash at a pinch. Only times i'm in full tanking gear are on the mounted bears and for bear, dragonhawk and lynx. I MT dragonhawk as we use a prot pally for the adds and i've never had problems on that either.

Minya
08-26-2008, 07:13 PM
hm.. in my opinion you can go full fury (17/44/0) or arms (33/28) and still do offtanking all bosses in ZA where an OT is needed.
we used 1prot-warri and 1slam-warri since our first ZA-run and even did the timeruns with that setup. worked out pretty fine.
if threat is an issue during tanking then.. bring in a hunter for misdirect or teach your dps-departement to use their aggro-reduces when it comes to "your tanking phase".

clovichop
08-26-2008, 10:16 PM
could u help me with my warrior tank?