PDA

View Full Version : Expertise Cap gear suggestiosn

Chevmaro
07-25-2008, 08:16 AM
So I have been fury my whole life and now I am switching to main tank. We currently have T6 on farm so its a bit rough to transition. So far I have tanked all T6 less RoS and illidan and have done pretty well. I do have a question about expertise and how much this affects threat. I currently have 22 expertise and I was wondering what the cap is. Also on fights like archimonde where I am getting pounded is it a good idea to drop expertise for more dodge rating? Or will I take more damage from parrys by losing expertise?

I was going to grab the badge belt but not if im already capped on expertise. I am capped on hit also. Please advise. Thanks.

Cynocide
07-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Soft cap is 26, I believe, for dodges. Parry is rumored to be 56 but I haven't tested this. I tank Illidan in a mixture of avoidance gear and threat gear. I keep my hit rating just above 100 and my expertise sits around 20-30~.

One of the biggest things to handle is not using shield block until you see him cast Shear. If you don't hit shield block, hope you dodge/parry it.

As for RoS, I also wear a mixture of gear. For Phase 1, I have my teron gun and TUW for avoidance but in phase 2, I throw on my brut/threat gun because you'll need the threat due to holding enough rage to spell reflect deadons.

If your guild has it on farm, it won't be hard for a new tank to transition once you get the hang of the fights from a tanking perspective.

Armstrong
07-25-2008, 11:14 AM
I currently have 22 expertise and I was wondering what the cap is. Also on fights like archimonde where I am getting pounded is it a good idea to drop expertise for more dodge rating? Or will I take more damage from parrys by losing expertise?

The expertise cap is ~57. If you are hit capped, adding more Expertise will give you the most threat until you hit 57, all other things being equal.

That said, removing parries will not help you survive nearly as much as pure avoidance will. On fights like Archimonde where threat stats are pretty much irrelevant, wear all your best survivability gear and don't worry about how much expertise you get from it.

Cynocide
07-25-2008, 11:24 AM
I forgot you mentioned Archimonde. Armstrong nailed the point on that though. You'll need avoidance gear to help survive and that is key when others are feared/air burst and their pvp trinket is down, no tremor totem, etc. Also, DPS is constantly moving, so their threat isn't as much of a factor (varies on their luck with fires) but still something they need to look at and hunters should always keep misdirect up on your every CD.

clavarnway
07-25-2008, 11:58 AM
I don't believe Archimonde gains haste from Parries anyway.

edit: NEVERMIND I got crushing blows and parry haste mixed up!!