PDA

View Full Version : Another advice thread.

Rhegma
07-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ysera&n=Rhegma)

Ok, up till a few weeks ago, I've been pretty much PvP oriented. Casually at that. My small guild is trying to finally start Kara and I've stepped up to be an alt tank. One of our Paladin's is better geared then I am and is our regular heroic tank.

With that out of the way, I have a few questions. Which heroics am I comfortably geared for? I would like to run Mech for the sword, but I'm content with badge farming for now.

Any recommendations on gear I should grab? I'm using Resilience to offset my lack of defense at the moment because that's all I have. I know I need to replace my chest piece. I have the quest for Dabiri's Enigma, and am waiting for some guildies to catch up on the Arcatraz key chain. I want that belt. I'm also farming mats for Bracers of the Green Fortress, as well as enchants to all.

Basically what I would like to know is what should/can I be running and what else should I be looking for?

I've been reading a lot on this site and it's helped me with talenting and threat generation. I've used a bit of it for gear suggestions but am looking for some character specific advice.

Thanks in advance.

dlongest
07-24-2008, 11:10 AM
That low an amount of defense makes me nervous, despite the fact that you are uncrittable. That said, your dodge/parry numbers are good, as is your HP and armor. I think you'd be fine in most "early" heroics. Certainly I think you could farm Mech for the Sun Eater. I think Ramps, UB, and Slave Pens are also definitely fine for you.

Your chestplate in the short term is doing you no favors. Since you're Scryers, definitely get into Mech and pray for Jade-Skull or get Breastplate of the Bold from Arc (downside is that's a pretty hard heroic, relatively speaking to the others in TK, although it also drops in both regular and heroic). Keep in mind it drops on both regular and heroic and that chick boss can be beastly in H Mech when you first start.

Do the Arc key quest chain and get Sha'tari Vindicator's Waistguard as the reward.

There are better rings out there as drops (Durnholde and Arc) as well as quests (Shadowmoon Valley) then at least one of the ones you're sporting.

Anyway, the bottom line is you're fine for some heroics, just go for it.

Daniel

rychel
07-25-2008, 05:22 AM
Felsteel legs, helm and gloves!

Caireagin
07-25-2008, 10:45 AM
I woudn't bother with getting any of the Felsteel set crafted. Yes, it's slightly better in EH and actually has some avoidence on it. But I'd say the threat stats on your gladiator's pieces outweigh the negatives.

You're currently in DPS/PVP gear in the armory, so I can't make many comments based on what you're wearing.
I'd second the advice on your chest, assuming you're using Savage Plate Chestpiece. Either the Jade-Skull Breastplate or Breastplate of the Bold would be an upgrade.
If you're using the green boots, I recommend Flesh Beast's Metal Greaves form the quest Someone Else's Hard Work Pays Off in normal Mana Tombs.
Cloak of Eternity is a quick and easy tanking cloak to start with if you don't have it already.

I'll try and check back in a bit to see what your tanking gear looks like and see if I can't give you some more direction.

Rhegma
07-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I got to do some Heroic Mech with our main tank Paladin. He wanted me there fore DPS and Pummel. I switched to my tanking set when I logged out for the sake of my Armory. Should be changed now. Not Prot spec but that's the gear I run with so far. I upgraded my chest from the Savage to one I got in Nagrand.

Caireagin
07-28-2008, 07:19 AM
In no particular order:

Get KoT revered for Glyph of the Defender and Timewarden's Leggings.

I'd wear your pvp shoulders over the Slatesteel ones.

As I said earlier, work on picking up either the Jade-Skull Breastplate or Breastplate of the Bold to upgrade your chestpiece. What you have now isn't horrible, but the two I mentioned are better.

Get 12 stam on your bracers, 18 stam on your shield and 12 stam on your boots.

Get Wind Trader's Band from the quest Dealing with the Overmaster in Netherstorm. Work on getting Elementium Band of the Sentry from Harbringer Skyriss in Arcatraz, Protector's Mark of the Redemption the The Path of Conquest chain in SMV, Band of Determination from Vexallus in normal Magister's terrace, or Iron Band of the Unbreakable from Lieutenant Drake in Old Hillsbrad.

Try to pick up Adamantine Figurine from Blackheart the Inciter in Shadow Labyrinth, and work on getting your Jewelcrafting to 375 to make Figurine - Dawnstone Crab(requires Thrallmar revered) and Figurine - Empyrean Tortoise.

That should be most every slot that really needs an upgrade without going into heroic drops.
And something I should have mentioned earlier:
When you are new to tanking, the best thing you can do to ensure success is to tank what you're ready for. This means that you should be running normal mode instances a few times before going into their heroic modes. Learn the pulls, learn the bosses, and keep learning how to tank. As long as you keep trying, you'll find that you'll never stop learning how to tank. Well, at least as far as my experience goes.

That said, you've got the gear to be a decent offtank in Kara, and you can probably pull off some of the easier heroics as well. But seriously put some thought into doing the instances on normal first. Pug if you have to, but do them. It'll make the heroics much easier.

Rhegma
08-02-2008, 09:05 PM
I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. I've been joining the LFG queue nightly to get experience inside the instances.

I recently picked up the Breastplate of the Bold, and am trying to decide how to gem it. My jewelcrafting is crawling along, stuck on that last 10 skillups. I've been conning my guild mates into Black Morass runs for the last few days. Should have the enchant and leggings soon.

My only questions remaining are. At what point in my gemming for stam do I stop to take care of my avoidance? I'm currently gemming for dodge and stam on my Felsteel Legs because my avoidance seems low. Also, I now have the Wind Trader's Band, Iron Band of the Unbreakable, Violet Signet (which I think might be better than the IBoU), Andormu's Tear and my Delicate Eternium Ring. I have no idea which combination is best. They all have merits but I currently wear, as you can see, the DER and VS. Basically because Tankpoints told me to. But I see the perks of the all avoidance Andormu.