PDA

View Full Version : Illidari Council

Dunmail
07-23-2008, 01:00 AM
Anyone got any practical suggestions on tanking this one, particularly warriors Vs Priest/Pally?

We managed to gear up all the SR we needed (eventually) and panned Sharaz in a couple of attempts. Seems a bit like Akama, get organised, do a couple of things and nice epics(/tokens). Council seemed a wholly different experience, and the other warrior on the Priest was going down pretty regularly and on a few attempts same happened to me on the pally, especially with residual damage from the priest and the flamestrike.

From what I experienced.
Most of his spell attacks I was managing to block/reflect, a couple did slip through on repositions.
I also had a retri pally with me, which did make the consecrations a bit 'interesting'.
His melee attacks were pretty nasty, even in avoidance gear, but seemed very healable, especially when moderating his spell attacks.
The killers that made the healing unbearable were picking up Blizzard (a couple I never saw), getting occasional smites, and also occasional Flamestorm going off.

Not sure what was going on with the additional spell damage mentioned above, as the blizzard did seem visible away from the Pally areas, but I wasn't seeing it on me when taking damage. Ditto on the Flamestorm, not sure whether I was unlucky, or ran over something when moving with all the crap going off on screen, and the few guides I read provide scant info on the tanking side. The main part, like Gruul was bar one screwup the pulls were going perfectly, just the survival part being the issue.

Cheers.

Ulloh
07-23-2008, 03:46 AM
We have been doing council now for several months and i ahve to say I find Gathios (the Pally) very frustrating to tank myself.

The reason is the judgements. Perhaps I am missing something here but I woudl estimate I miss about 70 percent of the reflection of the judgments. I am not sure why. I have tried hitting spell reflect at the beginning of teh cast bar , in the middle and at the end and frankly it seems totally random :(

Am i doing something wrong myself. Do I need to time my block in conjunction with the spell reflect or something? Is there a mechanic I have not understood corerctly.

Don't get me wrong , we do this encounter every week , but I feel that could I nail down the reflection of the judgements it would make it a little faster and easier for our guild.

I know this does not help with the OP's point , but I thought I would interject here with my first post instead of starting a new thread.

Ceravantes
07-23-2008, 04:44 AM
You can only reflect Command, Blood is not reflectable.

As far as the op goes, you seem to have your end handled, just pay close attention to what is going on around you, cause you never know when you are gonna get flamestrike/blizzard. Also, we never let our ret pally concecrate, it's just one more thing that you have to look for, and 1 second of wodering wether it is your pally's or gathios's can mean a wipe. It also makes it much easier for the other melee DPS, as they generally pay much less attention to what is going on around them than tanks do.

I don't really understand why the priest tank would die, we tank the priest, mage and rogue with 1 healer between the three tanks, and a raid healer healing the heakers and back up on tanks. There really jsut is not much damage output over there. More than likely they are dying because they are not moving fast enough.

Ulloh
07-23-2008, 05:05 AM
:)

Awesome

that explains why then and no longer will I look at the judgement of blood against me with shame.

Seems I am reflecting everything I can.

We occasionally take a retri to Council , and after teh first time they are strictly on a NO CONCECRATION order , confused teh hell out of me I can tell you the first time.

Worldie
07-23-2008, 06:11 AM
You should see what happens if a prot paladin tanks the paladin add, melees will love it :)

OnourisofRavencrest
07-23-2008, 06:54 AM
You can only reflect Command, Blood is not reflectable.

I don't really understand why the priest tank would die, we tank the priest, mage and rogue with 1 healer between the three tanks, and a raid healer healing the heakers and back up on tanks. There really jsut is not much damage output over there. More than likely they are dying because they are not moving fast enough.

Can you elaborate on this? I tank the pally but I'm the only 100% consistant warrior tank in my guild. For the adds we have a prot pally on the rogue, feral druid on the priest and mage on mage, obv. But our mages (we've tried it with two) seem to need a full time pally mixed with priests/shammies stepping over to help out from time to time. We actually managed to get our first Council kill last week but anything that would make this easier would be greatly appreciated. (Another question: We used 9 healers and 4 of them, maybe, were on me. What is the optimal amount of healers and is the fact that I had four mean I was taking too much damage? I do this fight with around 30dodge 20parry 21k or so health/armor and was keeping up shield reflect for all the SoCs)

Worldie
07-23-2008, 08:16 AM
You are fine, possibly the tanks of the other adds were undergeared?

bludwork
07-23-2008, 08:40 AM
for tanking the paladin, you wear heavy avoidance gear with max stam/armor; just like archimonde. Pop your avoidance trinkets to handle the burst damage during seal of blood. He doesn't crush so you're free to generate a lot of threat and watch for flamestrikes/consecrates and frost aoe.

Interrupting the priest & healers keeping on top of who the rogue poisons (or something) is the key to winning this fight.

Dunmail
07-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Cheers, gives me a couple of things to look for next time. I'll have a look at the other Tanks WWS and see what ganked him, got a hunch it's a flamestrike/blizzard but I could be wrong, especially with him having technically better gear.

Kamani
07-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Anyone got any practical suggestions on tanking this one, particularly warriors Vs Priest/Pally?

We managed to gear up all the SR we needed (eventually) and panned Sharaz in a couple of attempts. Seems a bit like Akama, get organised, do a couple of things and nice epics(/tokens). Council seemed a wholly different experience, and the other warrior on the Priest was going down pretty regularly and on a few attempts same happened to me on the pally, especially with residual damage from the priest and the flamestrike.

From what I experienced.
Most of his spell attacks I was managing to block/reflect, a couple did slip through on repositions.
I also had a retri pally with me, which did make the consecrations a bit 'interesting'.
His melee attacks were pretty nasty, even in avoidance gear, but seemed very healable, especially when moderating his spell attacks.
The killers that made the healing unbearable were picking up Blizzard (a couple I never saw), getting occasional smites, and also occasional Flamestorm going off.

Not sure what was going on with the additional spell damage mentioned above, as the blizzard did seem visible away from the Pally areas, but I wasn't seeing it on me when taking damage. Ditto on the Flamestorm, not sure whether I was unlucky, or ran over something when moving with all the crap going off on screen, and the few guides I read provide scant info on the tanking side. The main part, like Gruul was bar one screwup the pulls were going perfectly, just the survival part being the issue.

Cheers.

You can't stand in aoe damage =/ That is the entire fight, the raid not getting hit by aoe.

byechee
07-23-2008, 10:32 AM
if you run with 9 healers, have 3 on you, 3 on each of the other tanks, and 3 on raid. the 3 on raid should be focusing on topping the raid off from AoE, holy fire, and envenom, but if everyone spreads out effectively, this damage should be easily healed and they can help out any of the other tanks when need be.

Ceravantes
07-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Can you elaborate on this? I tank the pally but I'm the only 100% consistant warrior tank in my guild. For the adds we have a prot pally on the rogue, feral druid on the priest and mage on mage, obv. But our mages (we've tried it with two) seem to need a full time pally mixed with priests/shammies stepping over to help out from time to time. We actually managed to get our first Council kill last week but anything that would make this easier would be greatly appreciated. (Another question: We used 9 healers and 4 of them, maybe, were on me. What is the optimal amount of healers and is the fact that I had four mean I was taking too much damage? I do this fight with around 30dodge 20parry 21k or so health/armor and was keeping up shield reflect for all the SoCs)

It all boils down to gear for the most part, I have tanked all of them that the encounter allows. The priest is really a joke, and I have gone 30+seconds with no heals easily (popping trinkets) the rogue is likewise a joke, while he can do some damage, an avoidance trinket rotation with a solid avoidance set should get you through the phase needing about 1 heal. The mage tank should likewise be taking relatively small amounts of damage, there will be tiems when he wont have the shield up, we always had our raid healer step up and concentrate on him until that was under control.

The normal scenario would have a druid as the main healer, with 2 preists, or priest/shaman in range of all but the rogue tank. The Druid should be in range of all three pretty much all the time. When I tanked the Rogue, i would get renews/lifeblooms stacked and would run over to pick him up, I popped a trinket and rarely needed any more heals, after he vanishes, I would move over to the priest to help interupt, and would be healed to full.

When tanking the priest, you would always be in range of 2-3 healers, likewise for the mage tank.