PDA

View Full Version : Improved Cleave

Brucimus
07-22-2008, 03:34 PM
I was looking at this talent the other day as I was respeccing 17/44 for Hyjal and I was wondering. Is this talent even less used then improved Rend? Is there any level 70 builds out the there that would use Improved Cleave? or should I just shove it back into the closet? any thoughts?

Pasucon
07-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Max rank Cleave does 70 bonus damage.

1 talent point in Imp Cleave increase the bonus damage by 40%, or 28.

So, roughly 100 total bonus damage per cleave (from Imp Cleave 3/3) before mitigation. It hits 2 enemies, so 200 bonus damage pre-mitigation per cleave.

With Talon of Azshara you can cleave at most once every 2.7 seconds.

200 / 2.7 = about 74

74ish DPS, pre-mitigation assuming you can cleave every swing? I may have either the mechanics or the math wrong, or, more probably, both. Either way, take 74 DPS, mitigate it, and subtract out all the times you can't cleave from lack of rage... I don't know, but it doesn't sound like a very good deal. Someone smart please tell me I'm wrong; I hate useless talents.

Edit: Additional assumptions- you are always fighting 2+ enemies and you never miss / are blocked, dodged, or parried

shiz98
07-22-2008, 04:28 PM
With a feral druid and improved rend, you can hit up 3 mobs or so to hit 70 DPS, for the cost of 30 rage every 21 second, without the added threat and extra rage cost from removing a white swing.

Corbusier
07-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Someone smart please tell me I'm wrong; I hate useless talents.
You're not. It's useless.