PDA

View Full Version : Advice on getting aggro quick

painejake
07-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi im a lvl 70 warrior tank, and my girlfriend plays a lvl 70 priest and i want some advice on building aggro on lots of mobs quickly. We ran shadow labyrinth yesterday and all was fine but she seems to keep pulling majority of the mobs off me witht he first heal. Has anyone got any good advice to building aggro on many mobs quickly? Im quite new to tanking with a warrior so any extra advice would be great too.

Many thanks guys :)

Pasucon
07-22-2008, 12:14 PM
See the post I just made here for a similar problem:
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/general-discussion/38514-low-tps-multiple-pulls.html

The executive summary would be:

Start the pull with Bloodrage, as it gives you threat AND rage
TC the enemies
Make sure to Shield Slam, Revenge, or Devastate enemies not hit by TC

painejake
07-22-2008, 12:27 PM
OK brill thanks for the quick reply!

I'll try what you said in that post and see how all goes :)

Pasucon
07-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Good luck amigo :)

The smarter / better / less handsome players here can probably help you if you have more problems. (hey, I might suck, but damn I look good doin' it)

clavarnway
07-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Here is a tip I have that works for me.

If the pull has for example 4 mobs, do this!!

On first kill, STUN it with Concussion Blow. While it is stunned, put a Shield Slam, Revenge, and Devastate on the other 3 mobs. Around this time the stunned mob will awaken, and he will try to go after the DPS'er with the highest threat. You should Taunt the first kill target now.

So what just happened? Well you got high threat on ALL the mobs in less than 6 seconds, because when you Taunt a mob, it copies the threat that the person the mob WAS targeting had, and gives it to you - so if the person who had aggro had 2k threat on the first kill target, when you Taunt you gain 2k threat instantly. So you made the DPS'er work for you, while you got aggro on the other mobs.

Of course TC is also good for aoe threat, but this is a pretty nice way of handling a 4 pull, especially if you have HIGH dps'ers who don't like to wait 5-6 seconds for you to get aggro before they start dps. :)

painejake
07-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks thats a great idea :) Any recommendations for some good instances/raids for me to start with? Like i said i handled shadow labyrinth pretty well. I was thinking of running hellfire citadel all sections as a bit of practise or should i try something a bit more challenging?

Pasucon
07-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Shattered Halls without CC is great if you're looking to test yourself. I'd rank it as harder than SL, personally, but then again I ran SL a million times helping a friend get his Sonic Spear. It's a matter of opinion, of course.

To me, the first real challenge came tanking my first heroic. The damage is so high than healing threat is a constant issue, whereas in normal instances it isn't that bad. If you develop a good habit of building threat on all targets in normal instances, the transition to Heroics will be much smoother. Looking back, I was unbelievably bad that first time in Heroic UB.... thank god I got a little better :D

painejake
07-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Haha. I think i'll run that a few times to get my practise up and i want to get [Greaves of the Shatterer] (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27527) :D

EDIT: Well we ran SH last night and all went really well i held aggro throughout even 6 mobs :) so thanks ever so much for your advce it's really helped me improve. The pants didn't drop though so ill go back again tonight :P once again thanks!

And clavarnway im yet to try that but it sound like a real good tactic. I might have to give it a go :)

Shinpachi22
07-25-2008, 09:58 AM
only problem with this last message: "i held aggro throughout even 6 mobs"

Being able to hold agro against alotta mobs is a good thing, but if u really need to be holding agro against 6 mobs in just about anything, I suggest you get into a guild that has some cc-capable members in it. If u need to be holding the attention of more than three mobs at once, I would say he people in ur group are more concerned with the damage counter than staying alive/useful for the whole instance. It takes a good tank can keep agro on many targets, but any crappy DPS-er can just sit back and rack up damage.

Still, nice job on keeping agro on so many targets, I'll be using the advice posted here as well ^o^

Pasucon
07-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Congratulations on a successful SH run, and here's hoping you have many more good ones!

Cheers :D

orcstar
07-26-2008, 06:33 AM
One easy solution would be to not tank the skull. Put the skull on a cloth user/caster and if you have any competent dps they will kill it before it causes harm and you can devote your attention to the other mobs.

Works in a lot of situations.

CyCy
07-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Hunters are good for that too. Let their pet tank number three in your order. Hunter should be able to keep it up til you get a chance to get to it. Also have him opening shot with Distracting shot, Mutlishot, Aimed shot on X and Arcane on 4 0r 5 and have him cast DS whenever it's available. Having a 70 hunter and now understanding the mechanics of threat from lvling my warrior. It's a hard sell in a PuG but I am more effective as threat control dps instead of CC.

We have been using that dynamic in guild runs and it works great. Our tank doesnt worry about runners or someone pulling aggro and being way back from fight hunter sees the mob break first anyway.

ebs2002
07-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Shinpachi, have you ever done shattered halls before?

When you have 8-mob pulls and 2 CC, that means you're tanking 6 mobs. Even if you have Tank+Healer+Mage+Mage+Mage, you're still holding aggro against 5 mobs at a time.

Just fyi :)

hvidgaard
07-27-2008, 05:52 AM
Shinpachi, have you ever done shattered halls before?

When you have 8-mob pulls and 2 CC, that means you're tanking 6 mobs. Even if you have Tank+Healer+Mage+Mage+Mage, you're still holding aggro against 5 mobs at a time.

Just fyi :)Or you could go with a Tank, Healer, Mage, Hunter, Rogue.

Sap one, Sheep one, Trap one, Pet tank one, Rogue stunlock one and you're down to only 3 mobs ;)

clavarnway
07-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Or you could go with a Tank, Healer, Mage, Hunter, Rogue.

Sap one, Sheep one, Trap one, Pet tank one, Rogue stunlock one and you're down to only 3 mobs ;)

If you've tanked alot, you know that groups aren't always ideal. The only way that group could get better to dumb down an instance is to have a shadow priest. If you subbed in the Rogue for a Shadow Priest you would have quite possibly the best group setup ever for cc.

hvidgaard
07-27-2008, 04:21 PM
If you've tanked alot, you know that groups aren't always ideal. The only way that group could get better to dumb down an instance is to have a shadow priest. If you subbed in the Rogue for a Shadow Priest you would have quite possibly the best group setup ever for cc.

ahh yes, forgot the SP, for some reason I don't see them much so rarely play with them :) - but it would still remain for one to tank 3 mobs or your SP is in great danger of dieing when the MC breaks or MC'd mob is killed. It doesn't matter much as 4 mob isn't a problem at all to hold aggro on for a warrior.

I've tanked my part, but have only done SH when I really needed to - it is not really a warrior tank friendly instance. As always the key to success is that all know their class and make use of what they can :)

Nins
07-28-2008, 05:53 AM
Hi im a lvl 70 warrior tank, and my girlfriend plays a lvl 70 priest and i want some advice on building aggro on lots of mobs quickly. We ran shadow labyrinth yesterday and all was fine but she seems to keep pulling majority of the mobs off me witht he first heal. Has anyone got any good advice to building aggro on many mobs quickly? Im quite new to tanking with a warrior so any extra advice would be great too.

Hi PJ
it's not just a matter of you building aggro quick aswell as your healer not generating to much threat. F.i. the priest i play with 'discovered' that when using HoT's on first heal his threat skyrocketed. So you build your aggro (and from what i'm reading you're doing a great job ;) ) and healer could use another initial healing spell or maybe even a lower rank.
Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps a bit aswell

CyCy
07-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Don't FORGET THE MACROS. For multi tanking as a warrior I just redid all my main threat abilities to mouseovers. You can stay on skull lay your mouse over whoever is in range and just pop off a DEV os SS. I also changed TC to immediately cast Cleave right after saves you time if white attack pops before you can click it.

I ran SP at 62 for my first time. We had a 63 shammy healing and to my initial dismay a 70 shammy dpsing a 60 pally and and a 60 mage. We went so fast thru no CC no marking I just pulled the entire mob turned it away from everyone else and just went to town. Would have been really had tabbing and clicking on 5-8 man pulls. I also combined my mouseover Taunt to follow with Heroic and The 70 shammy never held aggro for more than two hits.

BtW make sure your party especially healer knows how to run w/ a warrior tank. I went so far as to macro a countdown on pulls to ensure everyone waits the 8-10 secs I need to build decent threat. It'll also let you know who's jumpin the gun.

Astrozombie
08-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Oh, you have a priest healer. For aggro that makes things pretty simple. Before every pull have your priest hit you with a spell called Prayer Of Mending. And have them spam it on you as much as they safely can.

When you get hit by a mob and you have Prayer Of Mending(PoM) on you, PoM will go off and heal you. Everytime someone gets healed with PoM all of its threat is directed to the person it heals, and not the priest who cast it. Its healing only counts for the person it heals.

hope that helps

Shadevarr
08-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Here is a cut & paste from a post I made a while back regarding this topic in my guilds forum

Multi-tanking (or how to tank SH without CC)

marking: ensure that there is a set kill order, and your DPS can follow it.

after the pull bloodrage, demo shout, thunderclap. This generates innitial aggro on a few mobs so you do not end up with a dead healer.

tab through the targets quickly, using a threat attack on each  mob, cleaving instead of heroic strike when you have excess rage.

Keep thunderclap on cooldown and keep a close eye on omen. once you have a sufficient lead on the DPS in threat that they are not at risk of pulling aggro start building aggro on the next mob while keeping ahead of healer aggro on the rest of the pack.

Example:
6 mob pull: kill order is skull, X, circle, star, triangle, diamond

open with bloodrage and demo shout ensuring they are all on you.

Thunderclap, cleave skull
switch  to x, devastate and cleave
switch to circle, devastate and cleave
switch to star, revenge and cleave
switch to triangle, thunderclap and cleave
switch to purple, shield slam and cleave

inform dps they can begin on skull
build aggro on skull, while keeping up the cleaves and thunderclap on triangle every other cooldown (tabbing through the mobs slowly enough that omen can show me how close the healer is to pulling). I usually spam 2 shouts if I have excess rage to prevent healer death.

Once I have enough threat built on skull that I know the dps won't gain aggro I look on omen to see what the total threat is and I start building X up to that level while maintaining cleaves and thunderclaps on the rest of the pack.

As the pack gets smaller, your rage intake will shrink. That is why you need to tab around at the beginning and generate threat on the group as a whole.

The two key elements to successful multi-tanking is dps sticking to the kill order and the tank paying close attention to omen on all targets.

atashe
08-14-2008, 09:12 AM
All the above are excellent tips, and I just wanted to add an extra 2 cents to it all.

Start the pull in berserker stance. Shoot. Run. Mobs are just about to reach you (but haven't yet). Berserker rage. Defensive Stance. Bloodrage. TClap / DShout (depending on situation... eg don't clap the sheep :D).

It takes a little getting use to, but the berserker rage will allow you to generate just a little extra rage for you to play with at the beginning. Some might argue it's not worth it, but hey, this is on maximizing aggro, and rage often equals aggro :D