PDA

View Full Version : Is the Shard REALLY worth it?

Legionodeath
07-21-2008, 03:58 PM
That is the question I propose. If you think about it melee DPS attack from behind to eliminate the chance to parry/block/dodge the attacks. The shard, which gives expertise and a nice proc, is supposed to decrease to be parried/dodged. Is it worth to use if you're always attacking from behind?

Maybe on trash yes because there are situations where you have to move around mobs, AOE, and other bad things. But on a boss where you spend all/most of the time standing in the same spot for all/most of the fight do you really need expertise? Or would it be better to use Berserker's Call, Bloodlust Brooch or some other AP/Crit adder?

Discuss.

-LoD

adenosine
07-21-2008, 04:17 PM
You can't dodge attacks from the behind but NPCs can.

That means that expertise is like a second hit rating for yellow attacks until you remove dodge, and everybody knows that hit rating is the best stat to get before you stop missing yellow attacks.

Dragaan
07-21-2008, 04:27 PM
The shard is godly. Use it. That is all.

Edit: Even if you ignore the fact that it reduces dodges (yes, even from behind) and parries (while soloing and for bosses that like to turn to cast stuff on the raid), the proc alone is amazing. It's CONSTANTLY up and is a giant boost to overall dps.

Legionodeath
07-21-2008, 06:08 PM
I do use it. Im just trying to start conversation and see if anyone doesnt use it and for what reason. I know there are people out there who dont.

-LoD

Muffin Man
07-21-2008, 06:49 PM
I don't use it!

cuz I don't have it (yet).

Corbusier
07-21-2008, 10:22 PM
I do use it. Im just trying to start conversation and see if anyone doesnt use it and for what reason. I know there are people out there who dont.

-LoD

Well, you started the conversation with a false statement instead of just asking why people would choose another trinket over the SoC.

The reasons would be:
a) They're expertise capped without it. Unlikely before Sunwell.
b) It hasn't dropped for them.
c) They're on a fight that doesn't allow them to use it, say on Rage Winterchill, where it's handy to have your PvP trinket, and they're also using Solarian's Sapphire.
d) They prefer the DST/Blackened Naaru Sliver over it.

Or some mix of the above.

rustyboy
07-22-2008, 01:54 AM
On max dps its like the 2nd highest DPS trinket in the game atm. I'm pretty sold on it and get use out of it for tanking and DPS.

Arrivan
07-22-2008, 03:48 AM
I don't use it!

cuz I don't have it (yet).

:(

I hate Timbal's Focusing Crystal

Kazeyonoma
07-22-2008, 09:20 AM
I hate the stupid vial... drops everytime.

GarrettJaxx
07-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Use it, the proc offers about 38% uptime in EJ's spreadsheet with normal hit amounts. As for the Expertise benefit, why wouldn't you want that? I think in many fights, even when you're 'behind' target, targets move around and such. There are only good reasons to use it, unless you have, as Corb said, raid-fight circumstances that warrant an alternate Trinket.

Crimsonstorm
07-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Its is far better than anything else except for Dragonspine and Solarian's. The AP proc is worth an average of 70-80 AP.