View Full Version : Prot DPS Tank Kilíjaeden
07-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Not sure where to post this, but I guessed the DPS section of this forum was ideal since most of my issues / questions are related to prot "dps".
So, I've been asked to prot-dps-tank Kil'jaeden.
This means I'm supposed to generate as much TPS as possible, over 2000.
I'm supposed to be in full DPS gear DW the boss and stay in defense stance.
He shoots a constant array of shadow attacks at me so during 90% of the fight I have an endless rage supply. Only during the "Shadow Spike" i'm getting quite rage starved.
Atm I seem to be successfull but I hope someone here can give pointers or confirm some of my questions so I can do even better.
I use exclusively HS and Devastate. There is the very rare revenge.
I don't think there are other skills I can use.
2. Main hand weapon.
Slow or fast ?
I currently have Dragonscale-Encrusted Longblade and Blade of Infamy available.
From what i've read before, a slow weapon is better for devastate damage.
However, due to endless rage, I can multispam HS, a fast weapon will allow me to do more HS.
From seeing on Omen, it looks like the fast weapon gives a more TPS, however, i'm not a theorycrafter so maybe someone can shed some light.
3. Group setup.
Atm I am in a group with 1 enh shaman, 1 arms warrior and 2 rogues. Any suggestions if this needs improvement ?
4. Gear choices.
My current dps gear has (in defense stance and unbuffed):
111 hit rating (using +20 hit food)
966 armor reduction
25 haste rating
I've read before I should go for 142 hit, and then max str and armor penetration. Is this correct ? Can I ignore crit rating in favor of more strength ? How about haste ?
My default tank build is 9/5/47.
You can check it on The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shadowsong&n=fitzlestick)
If you have any suggestions or comments on the above, it's more then welcome.
The actual amount of DPS I do is less a concern to me. I want to try to max TPS.
07-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Spam your HS and Devastate. You want a fast eapon for HS spam, given your infinite rage.
Group is fine. Only thing you have to have is that Enh Shaman. Feral druid and/or ret pally in your group would increase threat further, but not essential.
Gear: Aim for 142 hit rating, more is ok but not great, less is bad. If you have a Balance Druid you can go at 95 (Imp Faerie Fire). Max armor penetration is the way to go, and also Str (you get +10% str). Haste and Crit are decent but not as good as these.
Talents: 17/3/41 will generate the most threat. Impale will be strong as most of your MH attacks will be heroic strikes and youre spamming devastate, especially if you get a Feral Druid in your group. You have no need for block based skills on this fight if youre DWing, so if youre speccing specifically for one fight, dont take them.
If you need Imp Defensive stance take it, not sure if you do. Alternately your build is fine too, it just lacks Impale.
07-22-2008, 02:35 AM
If you get a short period where your lacking rage, switch to a slow MH with an executioner enchant. Just switch fast back when you start getting rage. (doesn't executioner buff hold if it procs and you switch weapons ?)
07-22-2008, 11:23 AM
If you're just speccing for this fight, then definitely go 17/3/41 as stated previously.
If you need to be able to tank other things effectively as well, then I'd go 12/5/44. If you need Imp Def Stance, then 10/5/46 is probably best (2/3 Imp HS).
07-22-2008, 02:28 PM
I'd definitely go 3/3 Imp HS no matter what. You dont care about your parry rate for this specific task do you?
07-23-2008, 08:55 AM
I don't see 2% threat on your gloves...
My guess would be that haste and 2 fast weapons would be best for pure TPS in this situation. Maybe the crusty longblade and the fist weapon off twins (since no one ever seems to want it, prolly shouldnt be hard to pick up). 142hit is a priority but you should stop after that since, if you have endless rage from his flay or whatever, most if not all attacks will be yellow. I would guess shard + DST would be your best trinket choices unless you would rather have the on-use from the m'uru trinket over the extra dmg/tps from the shard's proc. You should also be chain-chugging haste potions unless they want you drinking resist/protection potions.
I would LOVE to see a video of this.... (or at least a WWS report)
Edit: Can I ask why they are having you tank him in this way? How easy are you to keep up? If you have endless rage, why not just stay in a prot set with very high stamina and threat stats (over avoidance)? Basically you are doing a bit more DPS and you are getting twice the amount of heroic strikes, but at the expense of Shield slam. I'm guessing you are not hard to keep up at all if they are having you tank him like this...
07-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Even without shield slam, I'd guess that the extra damage you're putting out with fury gear would make up for the loss of shield slam.
I'm not sure why a raid would need that much threat, but it sounds interesting and I'd love to see a video/WWS report as well.
07-24-2008, 02:41 AM
We had one evening so far on KJ with best attempts around 65-70% iirc.
WWS: Wow Web Stats (http://wowwebstats.com/ikjvhi6hiemoc)
A couple things:
- On the better attempts I generated around 2000 tps and around 1000 dps.
- I do not have any sunwell dps gear, nor any epic gems. If we keep this tactic at least the last will change. Sunwell dps gear besides T6 is very unlikely since drop rate has been very low and i'm bound to be one of the last to actually get it.
- If we keep this tactic, I will defenitly respec to something better. It will all depend how high the DPS their aggro is. As long as I can keep up with my current spec, I see no point in respeccing.
- 2% threat on gloves seems very good indeed and I will defenitly take it, however, same as point above, no point atm. Highest DPS were around 33% lower on omen then myself.
- Why dps gear instead of shield and SS ? To me it seems this generates more threat and also more dps. I also don't have full unlimited rage. I'm quite sure that SS spamming will be more "rage expensive". Devasate/HS spamming is very cheap and thus i had near full rage bar all the time. At least I have never been able to generate 2000 tps in protection gear, but maybe that's just me.
- I am very easy to keep up, during normal times I was healed mostly by hots and the occasional direct heal from a paladin. (31% by a druid, 41% by a paladin and 12% by a shaman). I never died nor ever was hard to keep up in my opinion anyway.
- I have the Muru Expertise / 2000 +health trinket, but getting a DST is very unlikely since we have like 3-4 main dpsers that still want it. I'm using the muru trinket together with the shard since I do not have any sunwell DPS gear I would have very low expertise, which is bad since i'm dpsing from the front.
You ask why this tactic ?
First of all, we are still learning and trying to figure out what tactic works best for us.
You need a tank for KJ, and from EJ forums I have read reports from guilds using a lot of different types of tanks. Ranging from warlocks, retri paladins, prot warrior, ...
Since I have read a report from some other prot warrior doing the tanking successfully, we wanted to try it ourselves aswell. Especially due to many reports that a warlock tank is quite hard to keep up, and a prot warrior causes a lot more "stability" in this area.
Please see this post: Kil'Jaeden - Page 3 - Elitist Jerks (http://elitistjerks.com/f15/t28378-kil_jaeden/p3/#post815212)
Main difference between this guy and me is ofcourse that he seems to have full sunwell DPS gear, it is unclear to me if he had this gear when doing it for the first time or not. Additionally he states using some PVP gear, which I do not have.
PS: I will post more information if we try again. From what I heard we also want to try the warlock tank thing.
07-24-2008, 03:15 PM
We're going to try me as this tonight on KJ. Mostly because I think it'll be fun. Going to try wearing some resil to reduce the soul flay damage.