PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Gear please?

Turelliax
07-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Hello,

I am currently attempting to set up Kara runs for my guild. right now it isn't going successful. We have Attumen on farm but have yet o beat Moroes. Lately we have only been going on a weekend basis.

I am currently feeling stuck at my gear. I want to tank but due to work' weekends are really the best time for me. I am currently the guilds Main Tank. I don't have much of an issue with holding threat.

So essentially I am looking for where else I can get gear upgrades from? Am I stuck with only getting upgrades for Kara right now? Should I leave my guild so I can actually progress?

Thanks,

Ture

Rishkkin
07-21-2008, 01:01 PM
welcome

1st- what are you wearing ? Greens, blues some badge gear, H-5 mans gear ?

I'd recommend checking some of the stickies, they will provide you with some goals for your stats (ie : 490 def, 13k hp, etc...)

What are your guild's expectations ? Do they want to run kara every week ? Do they expect to clear it quickly ? How's the gear of your guildies if they're all green / blue geared, that may take some time before you can move further in kara.

Turelliax
07-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Well to be honest my stats are pretty good. We seem to be lacking the DPS but my guild is VERY casual.

Here is a link to my armory: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Azuremyst&n=Turelliax)

My Defense is currently 492, my HP 13.6K unbuffed, Armor is 14,462, Dodge/Parry/Block is 15.2%/16.02%/20.63%, I also have some Resilience due to having a piece of PVP gear on .. so thats at 59.

My gear is all blues and purples now since I bought the Gyro-balanced Khorium Destroyer. All my items are either Quest Rewrds, REp REwards or crafted items. since I have only been to Kara 3 times (twice with another guild as an OT and no tank drops.. once with my guild.. all we down was huntsmen and no tank item droppepd from him) those have been my options.

At the rate we are going my current guild won't even clear Kara before WotLK comes out. It's not that I wanna see Sunwell necessarily, but I would atleast like to say I cleared Kara and get some better gear to tank ALL heroics no problem. The guild I am in si small and only has about 24 level 70's (25% of those being hunter and another good chunk being worlocks). Everyone wants to go to Kara but no one seems to want to work on gearing up for it. When I hit 70 I had to make a lot of friends in other guilds to get my gear I have now. It sounds like I am QQing so I will stop there lol.

EDIT: forgot link to armory

Ukk
07-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Your gear is good enough - and your guildmates hopefully are good enough - to run heroics.

Start with Heroic Mech and Heroic Slave Pens, those are the easiest, and you wil eventually get The Sun Eater from Mech. Also Ramparts is known to be an easy heroic, although the bosses are easy at least two of the pulls are are pretty difficult. Vazruden has a nice tank belt that will hold you until you get Moroes on farm status. So do these heroics several times and then start branching out.

It is unlikely that your gear is holding you back in Kara at this stage. Do a google search for some kara minimums for other classes; ask your guildies to gear up or find another guild/other guildies.

Oh and I would get the S2 shoulders, huge upgrade there that will last you until xpac, unless you get into 25-man content.

Turelliax
07-21-2008, 01:49 PM
I actually have the Merciless Glad Shoulders and gloves, I was attempting to work on getting a PVP set. Right now it has two +resil gems in it. I didn't even think to swap that out with the savage plate shoulders since I was told that PVP gear is not tanking gear. lol

I am starting to think it is not so much my gear but my guildies gear. I will have to google DPS requirements and armory every single one before I take them to Kara. We have good OT and MT.. pretty decent Healers (one being a pally healer)

Damn those DPS!

Thank you for the suggestions. :)

Turelliax
07-22-2008, 03:57 AM
I equipped the Shoulders and what a difference it made. I also slapped on that Scryer inscription for defense and it brought my defense back to 492 exactly where it was.

so My next question is.. do I slap Stamina gems in both slots or Maybe a Strength, hit rating or some other gem in it?

Rishkkin
07-22-2008, 08:17 AM
I haven't looked at your armory (at work at the moment). Are you having aggro issues ? If so, some hit might help. Are you diying too often ? If so, go for stam gems.

How is your CC's during moroes fight ? Do you keep getting the adds in teh way ? Or is it simply taht your healers go OOM. If its the later then your DPS might be the problem.

Turelliax
07-22-2008, 08:31 AM
well to be honest.. It takes me FOREVER to kill anything. My stam seems to be not an issue.. I actually got complemented in a pug for my ability to hold aggro.

Here was our group Makeup for Moroes:

Myself, and Arms Warrior as OT (he is awesome and works with me very well) 3 healers, two of which were shammies and one of which was a pally healer. 1 Hunter, 2 Locks, a Rogue and a S priest.

the adds on Moroes are a bitch as you know.

Ukk
07-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Your blue/purple combination is fine - I had 2 stam gems in there but I wouldn't waste the $$ putting a new stam gem in place of that purple, especially since your dodge is a little on the low side. I would never gem for hit, YMMV.

EDIT: I know you didn't ask for advice on your talent spec but your threat - both single and especailly mulit-mob - would probably improve quite a bit with the 12/5/44 talent build referenced near the beginning of this post by Cider (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/tankspot-library/36210-basics-70-warrior.html). I have found the build to be great for MT and OT duty in Kara as well as heroics. Don't worry about the 8/5/48 build for Kara unless your healers just can't keep you on your feet. And forget gemming for threat.

Rishkkin
07-22-2008, 10:27 AM
as prot you are not there to kill things, you are there to take the beating your friends couldn't stand taking.

With that being said, moroes add can be a pain but it shouldn't prevent your group of CC em correctly (you manage to hold moroes with your OT, right). After that, if healers are on top of their game, you shouldn't die neither your OT. If they go OOM, the fight has been going on for too long or you are taking too much damage, but based on the stats you provided I really doubt that is the problem. Which leaves that your DPS aren't dealing fast enough with adds and moroes.

Turelliax
07-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks so Much Ukk and Rishkin. Actually when I was asked to tank Moroes about 2 months ago we had three shadow priests and the feral Druid and I were both on Moroes. this time we had Ot on X CC on the other 3 ads and Myself on Moroes until the ads were down. Maybe that was also getting us?I will check out the 8/5/48 build when I get home. I would rather hear from you guys here then the peeps on the warrior forums. I will print out that build from work here and bring it home to try it out.I am starting to agree with you looking at some of my DPS... They need to porobably put out higher DPS to kill him faster? I don't have a DPS meter so I can't tell who is doing what. Is there a place similar to tankspot but is for DPS that gives good overall requirements for Kara that they themselves should be meeting? would love to have better resources for them.

clavarnway
07-22-2008, 02:49 PM
If your DPS in your guild are like most dps, they think that they don't have to work hard on their gear and that they can slack off and the tank and healers can keep things going while they do their mediocre damage. WRONG!! :) It's not fair to make the tank work hard to gear up and the DPS can slack.

Your gear is good for first half of Kara, even Prince I would say, of course better gear is always better.

Turelliax
07-29-2008, 01:45 PM
So i ran Heropic mech voer the weekend.. no suneater... i did get a cloak which I haven't equipped and I swapped out to my Obsidian clodstompers I got.

My next question is.. is my dodge too low? Do i need to be swapping gems to favor some other stats?

I cleared reg Mgt the other day with my shaman friend (who is in t6) and he told me he was really impressed. (by our group meaning my tanking and how well i work with my hunter and lock friend)