PDA

View Full Version : Lurker...

zaxxor
07-20-2008, 10:08 AM
I have 2 questions on tanking Lurker?

1. I am running with my EH/STAM set but was thinking the P.Watch might be handy when trying to get him back after aggro mid way thru fight...any gear tips here?

2. What is the best tactic for the MT in handling Spout? Should I be jumping in water just before timer for spout goes off or looking for something else? Also once in the water and Pout begins its rotation, when is the best time to get back on him? I am thinking my melee is getting on him too soon cauding him to spin.

Shortypop
07-20-2008, 10:27 AM
1. Max EH gear, as he hits pretty hard.

2. Easiest way to handle spout is to ignore it completely and tank the whole fight in the water - keep tanking him through spout (you can keep doing damage to him). As he always starts spout at the tank this saves any bad hiccups in connection causing a wipe and has the added advantage that when he whirls you'll get hit back a bit, but will still be in melee range so won't need an off tank. Just make sure you swim back about halfway to the way to the centre of the "pond" each time to tank, ask for underwater breathing (just in case) and you're golden.

If you look at some maps you'll see a spot where the central pond "leaks" out into the surrounding water - enter the "pond" there (so your back is to the "river"). One add will spawn near the "lamppsot" just on your left. That should be your tank target as well and should get burned by the melee first, so you have lots of time to get back into the pond before lurker appears, thereby ensuring he attacks you first and doesn't one shot a squishy.

Get your healers to check los both when they are out on the edge and in (for spout) before you start. You'll take damage from the water, but one resto druid HoTs are more than sufficient to counteract that.

zaxxor
07-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks Shorty... I have been thinking that staying in the water the entire fight would be the best strat even throughn the spout

TomBrokeOff
07-20-2008, 01:50 PM
No.

invest in DBM. this is a long fight,

the Effective health gear....is a definate.

but getting DBM's advanced notice to a spout and then stepping just into the water then....is ideal for not only taking less of the 500 dmg tick...but placement...

not getting IN prior to a spout puts you out of melee range when he knocks you back...this is a bad bad idea as he'll pickup your next highest melee threat,.,

just pop forward into the water 5 or 6 seconds before he spouts...when he does hell knock you back onto the platform...

remember ranged DPS cant pull this one...so have them go INSANE from the get go...

I kept a prot pally in the front lake area with me....he just mirrored me...

and a resto drood in back...he hotted when i got up, and i got the single target heals on the way down...

worked insanely well.

Shortypop
07-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Spout doesnt knock you out of melee range - it kills you - thats his 360degree instant dead clothy attack. His whirl is what hits all melee out of melee range doing a couple of k damage if I remember correctly (if you start near the outside of his hit box). I know from OT'ing and trying to avoid damage from whirl that DBM and other mods only tell you the whirl cd - so you might well be swimming for a while before it hits. Personally I prefer steady damage that my healers can get used to, than jumping in and out of water. Personal choice and I know either have been used :) If one doesn't work try the other.

PS. The only way to avoid the spout is to be in the water (except mages who can ib), as he starts the 360degree at the tank, you will have to enter the water early or risk getting hit. Traditionally tanks tank him with their backs to the "river" as there is a pipe behind you that you will hit if you get knocked back by spout, but I still prefer the stay in water tactic.

Bogota
07-20-2008, 05:02 PM
We put both the MT and OT in the water the whole fight as insurance for if the MT gets whirlwinded out of melee range. His will target the highest threat in range and one shot non-tanks. By staying in the water the MT and OT never have to worry about spouts.

I was under the impression his whirlwinds and spouts were not caused by actions of raiders, but just whatever the script called for.

phaze
07-21-2008, 05:59 AM
I was under the impression his whirlwinds and spouts were not caused by actions of raiders, but just whatever the script called for.
Yep, they're on timers. Whirl occurs on a hard timer, while Spout is a cooldown ability (Lurker has to choose to use it once the cooldown is up).

There's also a random-targetted Water Spit that knocks back the target and anyone standing near them. We have the MT stay in the water just in case Lurker decides to Water Spit right before a Whirl or Spout. Healing the Scalding Water damage on the MT is trivial.

Shadevarr
09-04-2008, 11:05 AM
I try to make this fight as challenging for me as possible. I do stand in the river, but this is so that the healers can stay out of geyser range on me and KNOW where I will be. Each whirl all the tanks go forward into the water and get bounced back onto the platform, when he emotes "lurker takes a deep breath" the whole raid goes underwater and I stay there until I get a whirl to throw me back up.

Really, it is the adds that make or break lurker attempts.

Heavyfeet
09-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Our guild has been trying to take down Lurker for a few weeks now - the only successful attempt has been with a T6 geared tank.
For the other attempts I have been the MT and have been having a miserable time trying to get in and out of the water quickly. I'll jump in just before the spout but then occassionally have troubles getting OUT of the water and back onto the platform - so much so that its beginning to p*ss me off. I strongly suspected that by simply staying IN the water it would make for MUCH easier time and, from what I've read here, is a great idea.

One question... is it sufficient to just jump in the water and be bobbing on the surface to avoid the spout or do you have to be completely submerged ?? I suspect the answer is submerged but can someone chime in on this, thanks.

Heavyfeet
Dark Elites, Drenden

Wartank
09-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Anyone who goes into the water near lurker can have their head out of the water. (however i believe those on the outside should have their heads submerged) If u go under when getting in, just make sure u dont jump up into the spout. The easiest way to get out imo is just let Lurker do it for you. Once the emote comes up on screen i walk in, then as spout is finishing i get in closer to him and the whirl which always follows a spout will knock u back and up onto the platform.

Shadevarr
09-24-2008, 12:00 PM
don't really need boss mods for lurker just the ability to pay attention. When he takes a deep breath walk forward into the water and hit x. keep tanking until he whirls and tosses you out. when he spins, just walk forward into the water and he tosses you right back out. Rinse, lather, repeat. As long as you have 15k health raid buffed your geared enough for lurker, you definitely do not need T6 gear for a starting T5 boss!