PDA

View Full Version : Pwned in Reg Ramps A 60 complaining

CyCy
07-19-2008, 09:41 AM
This is a do not do guide to tanking Ramps for the up and coming tank.

Last nite was my first PuG into ramps......
1st mistake PuG an instance I never tanked before

The grp was already together THEY HAD A 70 ret/holy hybrid pally healing
2nd mistake 5k heals are next to impossible to hold aggro against 3-4 man mobs at 60

There was a 58 fury warrior in mail using a 3.6 2H
3rd mistake one crit hit and she wiped

I let the pally mark assuming he knew the instance
4th mistake in 5man always mark yourself

62 firemage hurled fireballs at X everytime on opening pull
5th mistake trying to get the aggro back from X and skull went everywhere

I would try to LOS the casters and the hunters and people wouldn't get back far enough and wait for mob to get to me
6th mistake not screaming into the mike. My kids were sleeping

I couldn't hold aggro cause the pally decided to dps help. TPS wasn't even registering on omen.
7th mistake same as 4th always be in control

After 4 wipes early on the rogue ...forgot to mention earlier logged and brought there 70 warrior to help out.
8th mistake I took responsibilty for the wipes

Even after adding the mean all in green warrior, dpser's were wiping every fight
9th mistake I tried to OT and found out the pally wasn't healing in rotation anymore.

I quit after the first boss feeling like absolute shit.
10th mistake I let them crawl inside my head I've only ever had 2 full party wipes before and that was Stocks

The moral to this rant.....and I apologize if it should be somewhere else, is .....last nite I was ready to give up the dream of Uber Tank. I let obviously unskilled in there class people, destroy my ego and make me feel responsible. Wiping with two 70's in ramps? That for sure ain't my fault.

I am gonna run it again tonite I won't make the same mistakes again. I am sure I will make some new ones. However I plan to run it til I know it like the back of my hand before I move on.

Brutally
07-19-2008, 10:16 AM
I don't mean to come off as an ass, but that's what your friends list and your guild are for. Running an instance with a PuG is like playing the lottery. The least you deserve is 4 other people who know what they're doing :P

Alent
07-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Imo, no more than 3 people in a pug should actually be pugs... Before beginning or joining any pug you should be aware of the healer, tank and CC's familiarity with each other.

All my pugs are Myself + One healer friend + any DPS I can lay hands on, guilded, friends list or pure pug. You can mitigate the risk of a heroic just by controlling those two aspects.

I will join pugs as a tank if I look over the healer and he SEEMS competant, and I'm not above intentionally wiping on an early pull just to see what our limits. If a guy with a PVP healer setup can't perform well in the chaos of a bad pull (and in turn, the chaos of an arena battle...) you probably need to replace him.

Muffin Man
07-21-2008, 02:19 AM
The moral to this rant.....and I apologize if it should be somewhere else, is .....last nite I was ready to give up the dream of Uber Tank. I let obviously unskilled in there class people, destroy my ego and make me feel responsible. Wiping with two 70's in ramps? That for sure ain't my fault.

I am gonna run it again tonite I won't make the same mistakes again. I am sure I will make some new ones. However I plan to run it til I know it like the back of my hand before I move on.

I feel your pain. I ran my first heroic today: Slabs. I'd never tanked it, and only finished it once as melee dps. Luckily the group was cool and someone else marked out all the pulls for me lol. But I felt absolutely awful about my abilities as a tank afterwards.

Later on though, I ran a two more instances to 'practice' and found that I'm not so bad. Ignoring the fact that they were normal difficulty (Crypts and Setthek), it was still quite a confidence boost. Plus tanking an instance where a mistake by me wasn't a wipe was nice (oops mindflay just face melted the boomkin while i was stuck behind a bench out of taunt range :().

Anyways, I guess like you I'm learning that you can't let a bad run get you down. Tomorrow, I'll try some of the 'easier' heroics and see how much more practice I need in normal mode.

Creampuf
07-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Holy Pally should have KNOWN to use lower ranked heals. If he was hitting you with his big bombs he deserved to get smacked around. That is precisely why [rank] is a macro option.