PDA

View Full Version : HI, and some of your advice would be appreciated.

2drunk2funk
07-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Firsty Hi, I recently found a link to the site and what a wonderful place it is. I have been reading up so much and gained alot from the experts here.

My Warrior The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Zenedar&n=Funkitank) is the MT for our Guild.

This is probably a similar story to many here, but I would like response in context of my gear and position if possible.

We farm kara, getting to a position where 25 geared players are available.
We have cleared ZA with help from some friends in other higher progression guilds on the server.
We have done Gruul a few time but not always managing to take him down due to members.

We want to move onto SSC/ TK etc asap

I have two particular issues I would like help with, and one question on a new weapon.

Issues
1. I am getting rage starvation.
When I open, usually with a couple devastates, SS, Revenge, DS, DS, SB I have plenty of threat and rage, I then try to keep my rotation with SS, REV, DS, DS, SB. with some TC and DS thrown in. If SB, SS or Rev are off CD they are hit.
I keyslam HS when I do get high rage bar but tend to stop when getting to around 40 rage. I still get occasions on trash where I cannot build rage at all and the DPS start pulling mobs.
Bosses are usually ok for rage.

2. My TPS is sometimes low.
When fighting bosses that is where my TPS issue is, when on my rotation it is anywhere between 600-900, I am being asked for over 1k-1-2k at least at the moment. My DPS, specially in places like ZA where we have had higher geared players helping, are crying for me to do more TPS, they are having to throttle their DPS alot :(
I am using the rotation described in issue 1.

Can I ask my gear is checked and any pointers that may help?
I tend to use the same set of gear, i have kept other items from drops and have the SE, KD and recently Cleaver of the unforgiving (How you do links to items in this forum????)

I still get some rage starvation on bosses, it someone pinches agro, building it back is sometimes a struggle, specially when some of the dps dont throttle themselves!

Question.
I just got Cleaver of the unforgiving from ZA. I currently use KD with mongoose and have the SE with mongoose.
Looking at the cleaver, and my current low Hit points I am asking if this would be a better option with a +10hit gem and Executioner enchant?

I would them use this weapon as my main choice on trash and most bosses where TPS is an issue? I have enough expertise atm, so what do you think? The extra hit and DPS of this weapon with said upgrades an improvement?

(At time of post I logged out with cleaver equipped un gemmed for the armoury link)

Thanks for your time and any critique.

mkramer
07-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Aldori Legacy Defender (I think ZA shield is also better threat)
Shard of Contempt
Tankatronic Goggles
Bonefist Gauntlets
Eternal Earthstorm Diamond

are more threat than the pieces you are wearing. You are not capping out parry on bosses you have still got another 4-5% to go before you are capping parry, so expertise is still straight up as good as hit for you. Shard will parry cap you and add a straight up 4.5% threat - that's 4.5% more dps for every capped raider.

Replace that bad adamantite figurine with a real tanking item, the Shard of Contempt. If you need more defense, take off the terribad armor enchant from your cloak and make it steelweave.

Basically though your gear is pretty good for threat.

I think you really need to be looking at your rotation. I know you *think* you are keeping them on CD, but you need wow web stats to give you an objective picture of your rotation. The ratios of Devastate:Shieldslam and Devastate:Revenge should be a little bit less than 2:1, in other words, you should be dropping devastate GCDS to re-app your buffs.

If you look at your wws and you have 83 devastates, 30 shield slams, 29 revenges, then you know that you can tighten up your rotation for a huge gain in tps. Read more about this in the library.

2drunk2funk
07-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the reply. Checking what you say though for some items seems contrary to what I have seen and read;

The shield, just has not dropped for me yet, hence my current shield.
The goggles, I am not an engineer so cannot get them.
I already am using the Eternal Earthstorm Diamond.
I read the Bonefist Gauntlets are good but not as good as the 2 set bonus from T4 which I have?

I do need a better trinket than my blue, maybe running some more MGT heroics is a good idea if I can convince some guildies (most hate the place).

I have now got WWS client and found the sites that parse it, so next raid I will hopefully get a log and import it :)

You mention my parry problem, the question was for using Cleaver of the unforgiving which has parry on it, will this, slotted with a +10 hit gem and executioner enchant help my TPS as well over KD with mongoose?

Thanks for your time.

clavarnway
07-19-2008, 10:42 AM
He meant that you can still use Expertise to reduce the amount of Parries you receive from bosses. The Parry rating on the Cleaver isn't worth really noting as a threat increase - it's there for avoidance.

And the Cleaver is a much better weapon overall than the King's Defender - a little less Hit Rating but you get a much higher DPS, and a socket. I would use the Cleaver over the KD is almost all situations. I don't know how much avoidance the +13 to Defense Rating from KD equals to. If it's less than the .85% from Cleaver, I don't expect you would ever use KD over Cleaver.

2drunk2funk
07-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks, I will +10 Hit the cleaver.
I am leaning towards Executioner enchant on it rather than Mongoose at them moment.

I will also look to increase my expertise and make the shard a target :)

Bogota
07-19-2008, 04:09 PM
I'd say put the executioner enchant on Cleaver of the Unforgiving (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33476) and keep mongoose on King's Defender (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28749). I'd agree with the previous poster that the cleaver can be your main tanking weapon and save KD for survival fights.

Also, that T4 bonus is just a bonus. I don't think it rates over the threat pluses of the Bonefist Gauntlets (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33517) . Save Warbringer Handguards (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29017) for fights where you need avoidance over threat.

mkramer
07-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the reply. Checking what you say though for some items seems contrary to what I have seen and read;

The shield, just has not dropped for me yet, hence my current shield.
The goggles, I am not an engineer so cannot get them.
I already am using the Eternal Earthstorm Diamond.
I read the Bonefist Gauntlets are good but not as good as the 2 set bonus from T4 which I have?

I do need a better trinket than my blue, maybe running some more MGT heroics is a good idea if I can convince some guildies (most hate the place).

I noticed you're only 90 blacksmithing, I'd personally drop it and spent my next 2000 powerleveling engineering. Not only do you get some great tank goggles with an upgrade path down the road, but you also some great DPS goggles, the ability to extract motes from gas clouds, and a ROFLCOPTER.

Meta gem: Ahh, I must have gotten your armory confused with another i was looking at at that time.

Bonefist: I didn't say they would be better in every situation than the warbringer. I said they would be better threat. You asked for how to improve your threat.

By now, everyone should understand without anyone having to say it, that gear is situational and you use the piece based on your situation. If you throttling DPS with your threat, that is a threat situation.

2drunk2funk
07-20-2008, 04:05 PM
My rogue is 375 engineering and that was a complete headache to level. Doing it again on the tank for a couple of helms takes all my breath away just thinking about it.
I still use the rogue for PVP and mining/mote extracting.

I will look at what helm options I will get in the near future and call it I guess, I was kinda holding fire on the profession on my tank to see what WoLK brings to the table.

I appreciate all the input and advise from this site and forum, it is good to find a site with such dedicated and learned contributors :)

clavarnway
07-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Well you would only need to get to 350 to wear the goggles, the brunt of leveling Engy to 375 is 350-375 so it would actually be pretty cheap.