PDA

View Full Version : VR - tankadin gear

dawnrose
07-17-2008, 08:24 AM
I was wondering, if you gear for avoidance(give or take 50%) so you also avoid 50% of his knockbacks aka avoid 50% of his aggro reductions, does this make you able to make more threat than gearing for less avoidance(you take more dmg so you get more healing etc) but having to use more spells to uphold that threat?

Bogota
07-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Threat is the name of the game with VR. The higher the threat you can generate, the harder your dps can go to beat the timer. Gear, eat, and pot for threat and you will stay on top of the aggro reductions.

dawnrose
07-18-2008, 01:46 AM
You are not responding to my question...
My question is how do I generate the most threat? By gearing to avoid the knockbacks or to take more damage, require more healing, get more mana back and be able to cast more spells BUT avoid less knockbacks aka LOSE threat which equals in wasted mana. So which gearing tactic is better? THAT was my question.

Bogota
07-18-2008, 07:46 AM
If you get high enough threat the knockback's threat reduction will not cause you to loose aggro. I would not gear for avoidance. VR doesn't hit hard or fast and you will need the mana for spell damage. I believe you will generate the most threat by gearing in a high spell damage threat tanking set and taking the damage to convert to mana. Our paladin gets so high on the threat meter, she rarely looses VR at all, and that's how she gears. I beg for MD's the whole fight!

Personally I only use avoidance sets for fast attacking/dual wielding bosses like Prince or Jan'alai.

Spelltank
09-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Agreed, gear for threat. Sure, you can avoid the knockbacks, but avoiding them wont help you much if you're mana starved since VR hit for basically nothing. Furthermore, its a lot easier to gear for significantly more threat through trinkets and such than it is to gear for much more avoidance than a normal set

Kaioken
09-14-2008, 12:51 AM
I'm not a Paladin tank, but I do notice that once the Pally has lost agro on VR, it's really hard to catch back up without a lot of Misdirects; I guess because a Pally's threat is more reactive to damage taken than having a full rage bar unloading everything.

A Paladin tank should always start the VR fight for the threat. Gogo threat! VR's damage is fairly predictable, so worry not about getting roflstomped :)

Fayre
09-14-2008, 05:38 AM
Gear for threat, definitely (i.e. spell damage). Avoidance is all very well, but the nature of it is that you'll avoid the knockbacks one fight and the next you'll eat loads and really struggle to get him back - its random. The most consistant way of getting through the fight is to build high threat throughout.