PDA

View Full Version : Shield spec/improved block pre-raid

Gintar
07-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Sorry for what may well be a newb question, but I haven't seen this addressed with search except for a reference in the second post of this thread: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/5-mans-heroics/36045-60-70-dps-tank-spec.html

which inspired the question. In 5-mans and heroics, where you don't face crushing blows, is it worth freeing up 6 talent points by skipping shield spec and improved block? This would let you run a 12-5-44 but really load up on the "utility" type talents in the protection tree like improved taunt and shield bash.

Considering the amount of shield block available pre-raid, is double the blocks per shield block and +5% chance to block (and +1 rage per block) worth 6 points. (I know it's a no-brainer once you add crushing blows to the mix).

Llyrian
09-08-2008, 11:17 AM
I would lean towards no. The extra shield specialization also gives you rage on block, and in heroics and five mans you could find yourself amazingly low on that particular commodity.

Additionally, while there might be no crushes, or few, it always helps to push some of that damage off rather than pushing your healer harder. Our job is to mitigate as well as hold threat. Also with more blocks, you have a higher chance of getting revenges out without having to spam shield block every time it's up to proc a revenge. This uses more rage again, and is something that talent is set up nicely to provide for you. It is a fair bit of points being freed up, but given your other choices to push down the tree, I don't think there would be anything that would provide a higher benefit to you.

So while I enjoy people looking for alternatives to the currently accepted builds, and applaud you for thinking outside the box, I don't think this particular tact would provide you any real benefit.

marklar
09-08-2008, 12:08 PM
i think it's worth it just for the rage generation. anything that keeps my red bar filling up is a win to me.