PDA

View Full Version : Arms warrior seeking some advice

Psysica
07-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Hi there

I have recently stepped down from tanking and now trying to become an good and worthy arms warrior in my guild. To boost our raiding further into T6. Atm MH 3/5 and BT still to get our first real attempts in there.

I think I have my rotation as it should be, using a Swingtimer and the white - slam - MS, white - slam - Whirl way. I was hoping for a few pointers on how to become better, as im sure I have alot more to learn. I know a shaman's WF totem would help, but its rarely I have one avaible for me in raids. (Our shaman aint very active.. :( )

This is my armory profile, in the gear I use for most raids. The World of Warcraft Armory (http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Trollbane&n=Psysica)

Here is a WWS from tonights raid in SSC - Wow Web Stats (http://wowwebstats.com/sj6bo34l1eg6k)

I have a further question regarding my current weapon. Lionheart Executioner. Would there be any other avaible weapons for me which would improve my dps. I have been thinking Stormherald, Jin'rock (Still to get the drop) or any else hiding around ?

Hope to get some good pointers from some of the more experinced players. If you have any questions which would help me get more help, plz shoot em out.

Tnx for your time, Psy.

Kazeyonoma
07-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Uhh, for your level of content here's what you have available to you:

Stormherald is not a good option, don't bother.

Lionheart ->>> Jin'rohk ~= Blade of Harbingers ->>>> Cataclysm's Edge.

from a strickly pve aspect of course. If you've got a decent pvp team, and can break 1800 the s3 sword is right below cataclysm's edge.

don't bother with stormherald, maces are terrible for pve dps. swords or axes only.

The blade of harbingers is a great item, very well itemized, and it's a guaranteed drop (that is you buy it from badges =P). If you don't wanna wait for jin'rohk and have 135 badges or whatever laying around, i'd grab that and watch your dps soar.

As for any other pointers, as long as you keep your rotation tight, there isn't much else you can do, toss in a heroic strike if you somehow reach over 70 rage to not waste rage, gearwise i haven't looked at your armory (at work) but make sure you push for as much AP as possible (through STR gems or gear).

Check out the post at the top of this forum called 2handed PvE dps or something by Meeks. It'll help you out the most. Check through the thread if you've got time, I think discussions about weapon upgrades are probably well discussed there too if I recall.

Hope this helped! ;]
~Kz

Crimsonstorm
07-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Watch your cast bar and try to hit slam just as your autoattack hits, but not before.
You should pretty much always slam after every white hit, though if you for some reason miss the start of the attack and would be doing it like a second or more after your white hit, then just MS or WW instead and time the next one correctly.

Rotation is:
White/Slam - MS - White/Slam - WW - White/Slam - MS - White/Slam - X - Repeat.

X is refreshing battle shout, demo shout (if they make you do it), using Drums of Battle, Death Wish, etc.

Ideally you want your weapon speed close to 2.5 after haste effects, because then after you white+slam, and MS, your cooldown will be up just as your autoattack comes, meaning you can mash the slam button at that point and the GCD will end at the correct time for oyu to slam right after your autoattack. Actually, a hasted speed of 2.5sec+your latency might be more accurate target. So 2.6-2.7.

If your rotation of two autoattack/slams and a MS/WW takes much longer that 6 seconds, then your MS cooldown will go off slower than 6 seconds and you lose a lot of dps. Thus haste is great until you reach this level of speed, after that it doesnt really help.

Thats with flurry up of course. You want flurry to be basically always up, so high crit is important (obviously dont do stupid stuff to get it though). If flurry goes down it messes up your timing.

Dont heroic strike until you have the Slam timing intermixed with MS/WW learned cold. Once you are very good at the timing of the rotation, begin adding a heroic strike when your rage bar caps. If you do it with much less than 100 though, youll find yourself running out of rage and you'll miss an attack in the rotation, costing far more dps than the heroic gave. The rotation is important, the HS is not, its a very minor boost. Also at lower gear levels you might not get the rage to support the HS at all.

Remember to use death wish multiple times on long fights. Use it the first time once the tank's aggro is solid. Make sure that its up for execute phase.

For weapon, maces suck, axes and swords are fine (sword is barely better I think). Cataclysm's Edge is your goal, once youre killing Archi. Until then, get the highest dps weapon you can, and optimal speed is probably around 3.4-3.5. Your slams and MSes and WWs are a bit smaller than with a 3.7-3.8 weapon, however your slam rotation times itself much better to your MS cooldown coming up, and thus the roation moves faster giving you more attacks.

Make sure you are given windfury. It helps your rage generation as well.

Psysica
07-17-2008, 02:13 AM
Tnx for the responses so far. Im gonna pick up either jin or badge axe as soon as it drops or I get enough badges then. And then yes the cataclysm is my goal... :)

A few more questions a bit more stat wise. As I can figure out the hit cap for me is 142 hit. Is that also when I as human uses swords ?
Asking as I got the bow of Zuljin last night and got the dps ring from 3rd chest as well. Both which I cant equip, as they both lower my hit... :) 136 hit atm.

And one more, Haste. How much haste can I stack before it hurts my rotation. Meaning how much haste = 1 sec of my auto attack time ?

Tnx, Psy.

Gorgrim Warcry
07-17-2008, 02:45 AM
Don't try to stack haste, if you get some on a good piece of gear fine but don't seek it out. There really isnt any worthy haste gear until sunwell the rest of it is itemized so badly.

Use hit food if you have to equip your new bow and ring they are pieces that will last you for a long time.

Kazeyonoma
07-17-2008, 08:50 AM
being human with swords gives you expertise, this has nothing to do with hits.

Hit rating reduces your chance to 'miss'.
Expertise rating reduces your chance to be dodged or parried.

Psysica
07-17-2008, 02:35 PM
being human with swords gives you expertise, this has nothing to do with hits.

Hit rating reduces your chance to 'miss'.
Expertise rating reduces your chance to be dodged or parried.

Tnx for clearing that out kaze. That means that 2/2 weapon mastery dosent count on hit as well right.
So no matter what, you always have the cap at 142 hit ? (Unless you have precision ofc, but not many arms have that.. :) )

Kazeyonoma
07-17-2008, 02:49 PM
yes, 142 hit is the hit cap for arms warriors barring any other hit talents like precision or draenei warriors with 1% hit aura.

Tatt
07-17-2008, 04:56 PM
I think I read somewhere that you do not want to get below 3.0 weapon speed with haste because it will screw up your slam timer, but I would double check that, not sure I am correct.

ebs2002
07-18-2008, 10:04 AM
It's 2.5 swing speed.

You slam, triggering the global cooldown. Your swing timer starts after slam hits, and there's still 1sec on the global cooldown. Then you MS, triggering 1.5sec global cooldown. The next time you can slam is 2.5secs after your weapon swing timer started, and you don't want to miss a slam. So if you had a 2.4spd swing, you wouldn't be able to start your slam until 0.1secs after you swing, and then your timer gets reset after that slam anyway, and you lost that 0.1spd (effectively getting rid of that 0.1spd of haste).

It doesn't mean that you never ever want to drop your timer below 2.5speed based on haste, just that anything beyond 2.5speed winds up getting set at 2.5, and you're wasting itemization points.