PDA

View Full Version : Questions about gear, specc and hitrating

Scarro
07-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi everybody,

I have some questions I've been running around with for a few months, questions I've been unsuccessful in answering through looking up info on ex. WowWiki. So - i was hoping that maybe you could help me answer some of these things once and for all.
Just to clarify - all questions is first and foremost in relation to PvE/Raiding.

I know that warriors can be really wicket DPS, I've seen it with my own eyes. Of course specc's plays a vital part as well as the gear but I have some questions as to how and what is the better choice?
a) What is the better choice - PvP or PvE (equal level) gear? And why? Can you clarify for the dis/advantages?
b) How much hit rating does each specc require for a solid performance? D/W Fury? MS?
c) For a DPS Warrior, what is the min. sustained DPS for instances like Gruuls/Mag/ZA/SSC/TK --> ?
d) What is the recommended rotations for a D/W Fury Warrior? MS Warrior?
Anyway, I hope that some of you out there is able to answer my questions. It would fill out quite a few gaps in my current understanding of the class.

Thanks for your time ;)

Armstrong
07-13-2008, 11:19 AM
I know that warriors can be really wicket DPS

I'll let someone more knowledgeable about DPS answer your questions, but in the meantime here's some wicket DPS (http://www.cswu.cz/ewoks/images/wicket.jpg).

Kazeyonoma
07-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Don't mind Armstrong he's being goofy, welcome to the site.

I'm gonna move this to the DPS forum Where you'll get better responses, and I'd like to suggest you read both the PVE MS guide (1st Edition) by Meeks, and read the DW Fury Guide by Corbusier (5th Edition) for more info. I'm sure all of the information you'll need is there.

As for your immediate questions:

a)PVE gear in general, will be better than pvp gear because of how itemization costs work. PVP gear has to spend more itemization points on resilience and stamina then say a regular pve piece of gear would have. HOWEVER, blizzard makes better pieces of gear the more stats a piece gives. For example, the PVP legs Brutal Gladiator's Plate Legplates Give a ton of stats, an equal item-level PVE piece that only gives say... 2 stats would actually have a total less itemization points. Maxdps.com and numerous spreadsheets that exist online are the best way to see which items fit where best depending on your current setup. But the general rule of thumb is if there are 3 dps stats on an item it's gonna be good, regardless if it's pvp or pve based.

b)95 hit for DW if you have 3/3 precision to get 9% hit, in which your yellow attacks will no longer miss. White attacks while dual wielding have a 24% miss chance, but for warriors striving anything past say 150 hit is a waste of hit rating at the expense of important other stats. The hit cap (both white and yellow) for MS dps is 142 hit.

c) there is no real min dps level, it really depends on the gear you have and your latency and your skill. I'd say at post t4 beginning t5 level a fury dps warrior should at least put out 750 dps, and an equal level geared MS pve dps warrior around 700 dps.

d) DW rotation: keep Bloodthirst and Whirlwind on cooldown at all times (basically hit it the moment the cd ends) while hitting heroic strike whenever you have enough rage to not hinder the BT/WW rotations.
MS Slam Rotation: White hit -> White hit -> slam immediately after white hit -> MS -> white hit -> slam immediately after white hit -> ww -> white hit -> slam -> MS -> white hit -> slam -> WW

basically keeping that kinda rotation, and if you somehow find yourself at over 70 rage you might be able to slip in a heroic strike now and then in the place of a white hit.

Hope this helped!

~KZ

Scarro
07-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks very much, that cleared up alot of things :)

fastidius
07-14-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm Wearing Badge gear primarily and the odd T4/T5 item. Fury, Foolsbane mainhand and badger fist offy 44/17 spec

In kara i do over 900-1K dps on most bosses. Aran and illhoof are well in excess of 1K depending on if theres a pally tank for illhoof.

2K AP unbuffed/ 28% crit ish unbuffed, 148 Hit rating, 20 odd expertise

Aldragoriad
07-15-2008, 06:14 AM
Not to hijack this thread too bad, but since it kind of touches on some of it, specifically the dps side, I'll ask. I don't get a ton of time to DPS because I'm busy tanking most everything, but I'm guessing my fury gear level is about where Kazy is talking about 750ish DPS. I'm curious to know if its my lack of time dpsing that has me a lower than that, or just not enough buffs. Last Kara I got to dps I was around 715, but that was bloated by almost 1200 on Illhoof, I was around 660-680 aside from that. My buffs were Kings, druid buffs, and battle shout.

Armory for reference: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Feathermoon&n=Aldragoriad)

Edit: picked up the Pendant in SSC last night, was running Traitors Noose before that.

Arrivan
07-15-2008, 07:16 AM
Damage meters are notoriously inaccurate for recording your DPS since they can't measure your time on target. They only divide the damage you did by the time the meter was recording. Any time you spend off target is still counted by the meters for your DPS. That would explain your 660-680 reading overall. A WWS report is more accurate in that regard. Your DPS will be significantly lower if you don't have a Windfury totem as well.