PDA

View Full Version : Mother Shahraz off tank

Kakuzuu
07-12-2008, 12:47 PM
will i need shadow resist gear?

Rak
07-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Nope. Make sure people with fatal attraction don't run into the tanks.

Worldie
07-12-2008, 06:57 PM
You can either use it or not.

It's like asking if the infernal tank needs FR on Anetheron

Satrina
07-12-2008, 07:30 PM
The real decision you face as a Mother offtank is what you are going to do for the next few minutes of your life to keep from falling asleep. One of ours often goes to make toast; I usually write addon code on the other monitor.

Loon
07-12-2008, 07:50 PM
normaly having ~330 SR buffed and having a little competition with the other OT, who can do most dmg with TC :P

we must be rather unlucky with FA, since basicly on every kill we get someone ported into the melee grp, so the SR have saved my as* on more then one accasion.

Huckle
07-14-2008, 10:44 AM
My guild is gearing up for the Mother Shaz fight and I will be one of the OTs. From what I've found I should be stacking as much stam and shadow resist, but I haven't seen anything on what my tanking stats need to be at.

I'm wondering if I need to keep my def up at 490 or worry about any sort of avoidance. I think that one of the sites also said that AC is a factor so that means all plate, but anything else I'm not sure about.

Kakuzuu
07-14-2008, 10:52 AM
well my GM told me i won't be needing the SR so i guess that takes care of that.

Nez
07-14-2008, 11:35 AM
I never wore any tanking or off-tanking her.

Rak
07-14-2008, 12:59 PM
I don't even own a SR set and I OT her every week. I just put on every avoidance piece I have and go read forums during the fight.

Sair
07-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Avoidance is key here. Dodging saber lashes is pretty important on a fight where your healers don't have the depth of a mana pool due to SR gear. You usually get reactive healing and not proactive healing due to the time in between sabre lashes (like every five seconds or so... not really that bad). The more you avoid, the better you'll be.

There's always minor beam damage you'll take every 10 seconds or so, but lifeblooms rolling on you tends to negate that. Maybe the neck and cloak would be a good idea, but no more is necessary.

If there's a bad port on top of the tanks, use last stand, shield wall, or even avoidance trinkets (so you can dodge the next saber lash, and don't get gibbed due to fatal bonds + saberlash combo).

The hardest part of the fight is finding something good on TV. If you have two monitors you'll be golden.

clavarnway
07-14-2008, 02:26 PM
It was my understanding that if you dodge the SL (Saber Lash) it only splits the damage 2x, to the other 2 tanks, in effect adding the damage that the MT takes. Is that not true? Does it count the damage first then if you dodge it you only dodge your part of the damage?

Worldie
07-14-2008, 08:34 PM
That's not true, else the main tank would be oneshotted if it misses (= nothing you can do) both tanks, same counts for all the other cleaves like that (Kazrogal, Nalorakk, Halazzi).

If you dodge/parry or it misses, the damage is still split properly. There will be 1/3 less damage to heal, so stacking avoidance is good.

I also remind that due to a lack of tanks some time ago, we ended up with a DPS warrior as offtank, which had barely T4, thus 12k buffed HP. If that was true, any hit me (who was tanking) or the bear (other saber lasher) dodged, he would have been oneshotted since he'd have taken 15k damage.

Sair
07-14-2008, 09:19 PM
The only reason there's such a bad connotation with dodging sabre lashes is due to Mother's previous forms. If a sabrelash didn't hit you back in the day, you didn't gain immunity to fatal attraction or certain beams, which basically lead to chaos as offtanks were ported and tossed in the air and your main tank got raped.

Nowadays, avoiding sabrelashes is good! You can gear how you want, but avoidance will always play a bigger part in that fight than effective health as far as offtanking goes.