PDA

View Full Version : Off Tank Hydross/Lurker Questions

Lodron
07-11-2008, 08:10 AM
I'm having trouble with the adds on the lurker and hydross fights.

Hydross
We went in there last night with four tanks. 2 resist tanks and 2 off tanks. On the add spawn:

The "Off" resist tank would pick up an add.
The other OT would pick up the other add.
I would pick up 2 adds.

I had a MD on me when the add spawned some of the time. I'd taunt the non-MD'ed mob, SS, turn around to stun the other mob and either:

1. The MD'ed mob would never make it to me and I'd have to run far away from the first add to try to pull it in..leading to chaos.

2. Or I'd actually get a stun off on the 2nd mob a SS, then turn around back to the first mob and he'd already be running free...leading to chaos.

I'd also do variations of the above. 1st mob - Taunt 2nd mob - Stun 1st mob SS 2nd mob devestate. etc.

Occassionally, I could hold both if I got them close together. It was getting them together at the very start that was giving me problems. Any thoughts? I feel like I should be able to hold two adds against me pretty easily. They aren't really hurting me and during Mark 4 i've been holding off on doing anything but auto attacking Hydross to build rage. What am I doing wrong?

Lurker

Does anyone have any hints to help prevent the adds from teleporting. I stand right where the adds stops and I have enough rage to throw a devestate or a shield slam. Sometimes before I even hit him he just teleports out. Anyone have any tips here to help pick him up faster? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance...and sorry this is so long.

hbombs
07-11-2008, 08:21 AM
I am not really sure why your add is teleporting. You know at this point where it is going to come out. Just remember that you wont be able to hit it for a good second or two once it gets to its spot on the center ring. So dont waste a shield slam or a global cool down until its active. As soon as it moves hit it with a SS. maybe your timing is just off. Once you hit it lay down as much threat as possible in case your casters on the island are stupid and nuke to fast.

hmm dealing with hydross.. we always have two tanks pick up one each then put a short and long banish on the other two. works well for us.

If you have to pick up two adds though I would again like you already know have plenty of rage going into the transition. As soon as the adds spawn a TC should grab one I don't think both will be in range. tag the first one with a dev then intervene/taunt the other.

phaze
07-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Hydross
I would pick up 2 adds.

Occassionally, I could hold both if I got them close together. It was getting them together at the very start that was giving me problems.

The best answer is to have your DPS not be so trigger happy, to allow you 2-3 GCDs to lock down your adds.

Keep in mind that the adds are stunnable; you can usually just let your melee squad stunlock the first one down, leaving one add for each tank to pick up.

Lurker
I stand right where the adds stops and I have enough rage to throw a devestate or a shield slam. Sometimes before I even hit him he just teleports out. Anyone have any tips here to help pick him up faster? What am I doing wrong?

Inform your healers to watch their threat for the first few seconds, to prevent the melee adds from instantly aggroing on them.

Shortypop
07-11-2008, 10:04 AM
The teleport-lurker-add-thingy seems kinda random tbh, I've yet to find any rhyme or reason why they sometimes do it, someone suggested it happens if someone is in the water (due to single target knockback) but I've never confirmed this.

As far as Hydross goes. For the poison adds ask your mages to set up an initial frost nova rotation to help keep them in place. If one of your tanks is a pally a consecrate can help keep them close together and everyone can pick off their assigned adds after that. Depends a bit, them aggroing on healers is hard to decrease, but the dps must wait until the tanks are happy before getting trigger happy :)

Derrick
07-11-2008, 11:23 AM
you would probably find it simpler to single target dps down the ones that have dedicated tanks and rank 1 banish the others

chun
07-11-2008, 03:13 PM
We faced the "teleporting adds" problem as well.

Our solution.
1) make sure that ALL healers are on the inner ring, not on one
of the outer islands.
2) make sure that no one on an outer island does anything to generate
threat before the adds are firmly picked up. This includes things like
bandaging, using potions, or using healthstones.

Once those two things were done, we've never seen the adds teleport.
It may take a few seconds for you to really build proper threat on the
adds, even after they are out of the water.

good luck!

hvidgaard
07-12-2008, 05:28 AM
As far as I've read, if you use any consumables/bandages ect you will generate alittle threat and make the mobs teleport to you. Haven't experienced it myself as the raid more or less never do anything untill the adds are loose.

glinn
07-12-2008, 06:47 AM
I used to have problems with teleporting. I have an older PC which causes a little latency on my side.

Blood rage as the add hits the platform and spamming taunt works 100% of the time for me. If I try starting off with SS or devesate I will loose the add on occasion.

Lodron
07-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the advice all. I'll give these a shot and see if it helps. It sucks when one person's mistakes wipe the raid. It sucks even more to be that person.

Shadevarr
09-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Hydross, we just have a pally tank pick up 3 and the OT help keep them under control from the crazy dps.

Lurker, we spam taunt while waiting for the guardians to be targettable. This guarantees initial aggro and enough time to get a few GCDs worth of threat in. They will only teleport if someone on the platform gains aggro (we assign a hunter and warlock to each platform to DPS/CC the ambushers).

Beatzz
09-05-2008, 12:05 PM
The adds sometimes gain healing aggro and teleport instantly, even after SS its teleported on me. This happens, just deal with the problem and sort it out. Usually a SS or Dev will snap them on you..