PDA

View Full Version : Dhawk Positioning

Staypuft
07-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Just wondering if there is an optimal position to tank him on the platform. I've read several different approaches to it. We had our first attempt this past weekend with decent results, didn't down him but we expect to next try.

I tanked him in the back right corner.

Is that the optimal positioning for him? Or should I be tanking him on the opposite side of the platform from where the hatcher's are?

Thanks

Turmoil
07-07-2008, 05:21 PM
I always prefer to tank him directly in the centre. That way, the group can spread out and take minimal damage from his flame breaths.

I was on my healer in a ZA pug the other day, and the tank started tanking him in the back left corner. I have to say I almost shit my pants when 6 people got nuked on one flame breath, and promptly asked the tank to move to the centre. He jumps back there when he throws bombs out anyway, so in my opinion it's best to keep him stationary so it's easier for dps to keep him in range..

Apparently tanking him in the corner is a strategy that a few people use and prefer, since the tank for that run said he'd been told to tank in the corner previously. I can't quite see an upside for it, I don't think you can really outrange the flame breaths. I could be wrong though?

Raize
07-07-2008, 05:31 PM
I believe his flame breath has a 40 yard range. If he was tanked on the egg platforms then i think it can be out-ranged.

Freight
07-08-2008, 12:28 AM
I will usually pull and tank the boss on the opposite egg platform from the one we are popping (we pop and entire side each time). This means the only ones taking flame breath while killing dhawks is myself, a single healer (unless he can LOS) and maybe a hunter if we keep a dps on the boss but usually hunter can outrange it.

Staypuft
07-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the replies. Talking with the rest of the guild, I think we're gonna try the 'opposite platform' tactic first and see how that works out.

Appreciate the input.

Seradwyn
07-23-2008, 12:40 PM
./facepalm
why did i never think of that! DHawk seems to be our biggest issue in getting to a bear mount with my guild.
So the idea is keep him on the opposite platform, with pretty much all the DPS focusing on the birds and one healer with you? During the bombs he summons you to him still in the center right? Then you just reposition him again?