PDA

View Full Version : Can't seem to get geared enough

Maydawn
07-07-2008, 07:37 AM
hi

I'm a prot warrior, and I followed the pre-kara guide quite thoroughly, but I can't get to good enough stats for heroics / kara with only 12k HP, and 12.3k armor, I was told by most groups that I can't tank heroics yet.

I doubt skills are a problem for me, because holding aggro is not the problem, it's the staying alive while getting hit by 2/3 mobs in Heroic Slave Pens for example. Even with shield block always active, demo shout and thunder clap on mobs, healers still have problem keeping me alive.

So I ask of you to point me out where can I improve my gear.
I was told I should not pass the 490 defense, and now I need more stamina armor and shield block, I'd like your opinion if that's true

here is my armor profile.
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bronze+Dragonflight&n=Maydawn)

thanks alot in advance

bludwork
07-07-2008, 08:01 AM
play as dps and collect tanking gear

dlongest
07-07-2008, 08:12 AM
1. Grind KoT rep, get Timewarden's Leggings, gem all stamina. These are the highest stam leggings for that "tier", no reason to not have them.
2. Get some better rings.
3. Build one of the +51 stam Darkmoon card decks.
4. Grind SSO rep and buy the Dawnforged Defender (shield) and the neckpiece.
5. Get Khorium Destroyer crafted, top stamina weapon and will last you almost forever, no reason to not have it.

Daniel

Maydawn
07-07-2008, 09:38 AM
thanks alot for the comment.
I could grind KoT rep and get the leggings, but then I won't have 490 defense, and I was told that it's the most basic stat to start heroics with, and getting the darkmoon fair cards is a little bit expensive. Any other suggestions except that ?

dlongest
07-07-2008, 11:10 AM
You only need 485 defense to start heroics. 490 is to maintain uncrittability for level 73 mobs. Nothing in a heroic is level 73, 72 is the highest. If you're that worried about it, grind BGs for the S2 Shield Wall. The resilience contributes to making you uncrittable, and it is the highest armor and stam you can get from a shield for quite a while. This isn't a perfect solution since you sacrifice some defense numbers, but it serves a great purpose of jacking your armor and stamina in the short term while keeping you uncrittable for forays into Kara. I actually used mine until I got the SSO shield, passing up Shield of Impenetrable Darkness a few times in the process. YMMV.

Daniel

Barlic
07-07-2008, 12:00 PM
If you do eventually max out blacksmithing (see you are 155/255 atm) you could then be able to make red boots of havok (plans are 1K+ gold) or a blazefury as a tanking sword, though that is an expensive route, so a bit hard if you don't have an alt to slowly bankroll the process.

Other option is see if you can find a group willing to take you into kara as an offtank and you might get lucky with some drops, plus the badges are nice.

Dreysida
07-07-2008, 04:25 PM
There are still alot of upgrades for you outside of heroics. Warchief's Mantle - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29316) a quest reward for saving Thrall in Durnholde keep. there is also Adamantine Figurine - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27891)
from the 2nd boss in Shadowlabs. Dabiri's Enigma - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30300) is another great trinket for staying uncrittable. it's a quest reward for a 5-man quest in Netherstorm. Protector's Mark of the Redemption - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31078) is a SMV quest reward. And ofcourse if you are really desperate for a better trinket there is the often forgotten Stormpike Insignia Rank 6 - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=17904) from Alterac Valley.

annerajb
07-07-2008, 05:20 PM
also remeber one important thing gear is not everything i did old hilsbrad on crap gear and by careful planning we beat the place. skill > than gear ( except on mobs that hit VERY hard wich all the skill in the world will get you dead :'() so get those upgrades and dont get turn down when people say you are not gear enought it also depends on a person taste on how good is enought. some people dont know and think good tanks == 16k of health and full epics

Raize
07-07-2008, 05:39 PM
It is most definately harder for newer players to get geared than it used to be. Part of this is due to the fact a lot of people simply don't want to run 5 man instances (or PUG) any more due to being 'burnt out' on them.
The downside to this is these people will actually run them but only if they can speed through them and this is where the more undergeared folks lose out.

Without a helpful guild or friends your best bet is to rep grind. That is the balancing part of the equation if you can't get groups.

Armstrong
07-07-2008, 05:48 PM
hi

(...) 12k HP, and 12.3k armor, I was told by most groups that I can't tank heroics yet.

(...) Even with shield block always active, demo shout and thunder clap on mobs, healers still have problem keeping me alive.

(...) I was told I should not pass the 490 defense, and now I need more stamina armor and shield block, I'd like your opinion if that's true

(...)

Your gear is perfectly fine for Heroics. You're clearly running with healers who are used to doing heroics with an overgeared tank, and are either being lazy or plain bad. It's called "Heroic" for a reason. You're not expected to have any epics when you first walk into the place where you can get your first epics... For what it's worth, your gear looks almost exactly the same as what I started Karazhan with when people started to hit level 70 over a year ago.

490 Defense is a minimum, not a cap, that you need to reach to make yourself immune to crits (485 for heroics actually). More Defense is good, especially if you are taking too much damage. You generally don't need to go out of your way to gem and enchant for Defense, but it's not a bad thing to do so either, especially if it will get you a good socket bonus. Every point of Defense above crit immunity is as beneficial as the last (I'm at 592 Defense in my avoidance set).

What in the world are you doing without Last Stand?

Punchingbag
07-07-2008, 09:57 PM
hi

I'm a prot warrior, and I followed the pre-kara guide quite thoroughly, but I can't get to good enough stats for heroics / kara with only 12k HP, and 12.3k armor, I was told by most groups that I can't tank heroics yet.

I doubt skills are a problem for me, because holding aggro is not the problem, it's the staying alive while getting hit by 2/3 mobs in Heroic Slave Pens for example. Even with shield block always active, demo shout and thunder clap on mobs, healers still have problem keeping me alive.

So I ask of you to point me out where can I improve my gear.
I was told I should not pass the 490 defense, and now I need more stamina armor and shield block, I'd like your opinion if that's true

here is my armor profile.
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bronze+Dragonflight&n=Maydawn)

thanks alot in advance

I am a little bit in the same boat in regards to the higher Heroics but feel pretty good about the lower ones (Mech, UB, and SP).

Gear wise, I started with a lot of pieces similar to yours but ended up trying to gear to this list for most things:

The New Level 70 Tanking Gear Guide - Warriors - TankingTips.com (http://www.tankingtips.com/2008/01/20/the-i-just-hit-70-tanking-gear-guide/)

I was a 375 JC and actually dropped it after making this piece:

Figurine - Empyrean Tortoise - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=35693)

which I get to keep without a JC requirement. It replaced my Regal Protectorate. You can do the group quest in NS to get Dabiri's Enigma.

I then power leveled Engineering up to craft Tankatronic Goggles to replace the Felsteel Helm.

I ran the SSO dailies until exalted to pick up Shattered Sun Pendant of Resolve and Dawnforged Defender. This replaced my Mark of the Ravenguard neck.

I painfully did BGs for a day and a half to get the Merciless Plate PVP shoulders.

Picked up Cloak of Eternity from the AH (lot of them always up) and put +12 defense enchant on it. (for now)

Have the same chest, gloves, boots, and belt as you but did the SL quest to get the Sha'tari bracers.

Farmed primals for the Gyro Khorium gun.

Path of Conquest quest series can be done in an hour or so with a good DPSer and will yield you Protector’s Mark of the Redemption.

Finally, Black Morass is probably the best instance a tank could ask for and is big time fun IMO. You basically have to tank 1 MOB 18 times. You can get to Revered in a couple of days if you can run it like 3 times a day or so. This will give you the Timewarden's Leggings and the Andormu's Tear ring from the quest reward.

I'm pretty much out of quest reward options so I am looking towards Heroic drops and badge gear to progress.

You can check out my armory, but I wound up with 531 Defense, 20% Dodge, 17% Parry, and 22% Block. Sitting at 12.6k health unbuffed. When I was stacked with a lot of AH greens (of Stamina) gear I had more health but went down a lot faster. Need to have avoidance too I have found. 20K health and no avoidance and you take full brunt of everything. (thanks to advice here)

As always, I am open to suggestions from anyone as well.

Punchingbag
07-07-2008, 10:02 PM
It is most definately harder for newer players to get geared than it used to be. Part of this is due to the fact a lot of people simply don't want to run 5 man instances (or PUG) any more due to being 'burnt out' on them.
The downside to this is these people will actually run them but only if they can speed through them and this is where the more undergeared folks lose out.

Without a helpful guild or friends your best bet is to rep grind. That is the balancing part of the equation if you can't get groups.

/agree

Without guildies or friends you wind up with:

1. People who want to speed run

2. Incompetent DPSers

3. Undergeared Healers

All of which are bad for the noob tank like me. :(

Muffin Man
07-21-2008, 02:13 AM
Finally, Black Morass is probably the best instance a tank could ask for and is big time fun IMO. You basically have to tank 1 MOB 18 times. You can get to Revered in a couple of days if you can run it like 3 times a day or so. This will give you the Timewarden's Leggings and the Andormu's Tear ring from the quest reward.

I love BM. I think my record on that instance is 26 minutes. I remember because my well fed buff hadn't run out yet :). Went so well, we ran it twice. There are some nice items that drop there, plus it's so quick that you could probably get a group to run it 2 or 3 times in a row. Let's see Burnoose of Shifting Ages for tanks, Hourglass of the Unraveller for physical dps, Scarab of Infinite Cycle of healers, Latro's Shifting Sword for rogues, ect.

Also, you forgot: Glyph of the Defender is also available at revered, same as Timewarden's. Which is quite a nice tanking boost.