PDA

View Full Version : Quick aggro generation

Patchi
07-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Dear Tankspotters,
I spent quite a long time browsing and reading forum posts concerning aggro generation.
I feel I have spent a lot of time and efforts in upgrading my gear in order to gain aggro very quickly ; so my dps guildies would unleash hell as soon as possible.
My tankbuddy is a bear druid, with similar gear (starting T5/ZA recently cleared), and I noticed he could generate aggro much quicker than I.

Here are my two questions/concerns

-Today the only T4 piece I have are gloves; so I dont have the 2 set bonus which used to be great. Should I pick up the Bonefist Gauntlets ? IOW Would it help me to generate aggro quicker ?(less tankpoints than T4)

-I would be happy if somebody could comment on my armory profile as no one in my guild manage to know enough regarding tanking as a warrior.

Thank you for your time

P

clavarnway
07-07-2008, 07:18 AM
Do you have the Jungle Stompers from Nalorakk? They are much better for threat than your current Boots of Elusion? They also have more armor and stamina, just less avoidance. If you get Jungle Stompers I would use them over Boots of Elusion in nearly all situations. (The Elusion have significant avoidance which you may want for some fights)

Yes, Bonefist Gauntlets would be better than Warbringer Handguards for threat. They also have more armor and stamina. They only have less avoidance. If you get Bonefist I would use them over t4 in nearly all situations.

Are you interested in high threat for bosses...trash..? And are DPS'ers getting threat capped with you tanking? If not don't worry about it...Ferals can put out some nasty TPS...don't feel inadequate compared to them, they can't do some things we can (heh...like anything involving a Shield).

Patchi
07-07-2008, 07:40 AM
First of all, Hi and thank you for your feedback,
I guess I have the curse of boots, I kept my Flesh Beast's Metal Greaves to tank Gruul many times, never managed to get anything better than the Karazhan trash drop :(

Since we started ZA (a while ago), no Jungle Stompers

Are you interested in high threat for bosses...trash..? And are DPS'ers getting threat capped with you tanking? If not don't worry about it...Ferals can put out some nasty TPS...don't feel inadequate compared to them, they can't do some things we can (heh...like anything involving a Shield).Well the thing is whenever I'm tanking (raid bosses or heroic bosses), the druid tank clearly outtps me by a lot ; example : when doing Void Reaver, I start tanking it, then Im getting slowly pushed back, my aggro is reduced, so bear is taking over.
Even though he also receives the aggro push back I never manage to outTPS him to get aggro back...
So I tank it 2-3mn, he takes over for the remaining 7-8 ; it does feel a bit weird.

Its a kind of friendly competition (which I often lose), on the other hand, the bear sometimes gets one shotted by Void Reaver trash sentinels which I guess justifies me being in the raid.

clavarnway
07-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Well how about your rotation?

How much do you Heroic Strike?

What kind of group comp are you getting?

Patchi
07-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Normaly for Void Reaver, I start by using shield slam /revenge/devastate *2
and try not to use shield block too much at the start of the fight to build up some rage (before first pounding)

Once Im around 30-40 rage I use heroic strike.

The problem lies when Im being pushed away by his aggro wiping ability, I generate less threat (no one is hitting me), I rely on bloodrage/occasionnal pounding to get extra rage, and do not manage to pass above the second tank despite him being pushed.
We have 2 hunters running around doing some orb kiting and misdirecting the offtank whenever the cd is up.

Edit* we normaly have one melee DPS group (eh shaman/2 rogues/fury warrior/bm hunter) 7-8 healers (3resto shamans)
my typical tank group is : prot warrior (me)/feral druid /warlock/protadin/resto druid in tree form
the rest is mixed range dps unable to perform well since we all are "under" Void Reaver.

I will follow your suggestion as I have 60 badges left to buy the gloves.

knagh
07-09-2008, 11:50 AM
we generally run two prot warriors and one feral druid on Void Reaver, the other prot warrior starts off as the main tank. after a single knockback the feral druid will take over. from that point on, its a pretty close fight between the three of us for aggro. its typically something like feral druid - me - feral druid - other warrior -...

as an off-tank my cycle is simply shield slam - dev - dev - dev. i will heroic strike only when i'm sure i can keep that cycle going full time between poundings. one trick that is helpful is to stance dance right before a pounding and pop beserker, you'll get more rage from the pounding damage allowing you to mix in a few more heroic strikes.

its definetly a fun game to try and hold aggro across a knockback, so far i've only done it without the feral druid as an off-tank (3 warriors).