PDA

View Full Version : Gurtogg Bloodboil OT

Magnuss
07-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Last night we did our 3rd Gurtogg kill with the guild. We have so far been able to kill him every week since we first downed him and are ready to put him on farm. The only problem is that he is still a challenging fight that we almost have to re-learn each time we go since our group comp is NEVER the same. We always seem to have different tanks, different healers, and different dps in some order or fashion each time we have gone so it has been tricky getting him consistantly.

I wanted to make a thread on here to throw out a few tips that i found helpful for our tanks/offtanks during this fight in hopes of helping some people out.

Last night's group comp had 3 tanks. 1 Druid, 1 Prot warrior (me), and 1 Prot paladin. Now since its somewhat of a dps race to kill him before your healers get overwhelmed or before the enrage timer (which is long but still there) you want to make sure that your dps can still attack Gurtogg during phase one without overcoming your lowest tank in threat. This is very tricky because only one tank is generating decent threat at a time especially during the start. Here is a few tips that i have picked up to help with this issue.

1) Paladins if you have one should get the misdirect first and tank him first. Their threat is reflective based on how much damage is done to them and garbage otherwise. We had our paladin try to be an offtank initially the first time and he couldnt even keep up past some of the druid healing aggro.

2) Protection warriors have a very hard time with rage on this fight until they start getting attacked or get a debuff stack on them. In order to combat this on a regular basis i tried a few different methods. One is a rage potion which i would use as often as i could manage to get it up. The problem with this is that it eats a potion cooldown in a fight where you may very well need that potion at some point.

Another method for getting enough rage to stay on the top lists is to do your best until the first Fel-Enrage period and then move up behind Gurtogg when is attacking the Fel-Enraged raider. Equip 2 weapons and use your auto attack against him. Only use rage when you absolutely need to (such as with a thunderclap or demo shout) and build up as much as you can. Then when he is about to come back to the main tank, throw your shield back on and let loose with your 100 rage. This should be more than enough to tide you over. If it isnt, then there shouldnt be too much of a problem equipping your 2 swords again while in phase one and using your Heroic Strike/Devastate combo as fast as you can. The threat this generates without salv really can be substantial. Just be sure you are fast on the quick swap for when the MT gets stunned or knocked back and he turns to you. It would suck to be caught with your pants down and no shield.

3) The last bit of tanking technique that I have used effectively on this boss is only used for situations where your threat is good, but you are becoming rage starved. This is somewhere between half and 3/4 through the fight if you havent been picked up as maintank at all. Using the other methods i described can mostly keep your head above water but wont last you the whole fight. If you can afford to generate zero threat for about 10-15 seconds in order to get some serious rage then you can stand in front of Gurtogg with your back turned to him. This will make it so that you dont accidentally cause him to parry and hurt the MT that is tanking but will allow you to absorb a debuff or two and therefore get a real solid amount of constant rage for 1 minute. I only had to use this method one time because i had alot of dps that were creeping up on me in threat and no hope of me getting the main aggro any time soon.

Anyways, I hope some of the methods prove useful in the tanking aspect of a healing intensive fight. If you have any other tricks that have helped you with this boss, feel free to share.

Worldie
07-01-2008, 02:48 PM
I'd disagree with the prot paladin starting out, there's the risk of him building too much aggro. In my opinion it's warriors who should start since they are who have more troubles with building offaggro.
As paladin you have a very little portion of threat which is reactive (less than 10% in BT level), you can keep up threat rotation for a minute or two without getting damage, and eventually get a mana pot or just eat a cleave or two.

Elson
07-09-2008, 04:40 AM
/agree worldie. Kinda surprised to still see so many people saying we have a hard time with off tank threat.

Only tried this guy once so far, but we had the warrior start first and sure enough the first switch he was on me as usual any time I am in an OT situation. maintaining secondary aggro is more then possible on this fight if your tankadin doesn't start first.

Only reason I might recommend putting the pally up first is the ability to bubble out of a stack of debuffs.

Armstrong
07-09-2008, 06:05 AM
We used our newer pally tank on Bloodboil for the first time last night and he had no problem with threat even if he wasn't the first to tank. No mana issues either, was able to stay in the rotation the whole time.

Also, what you call "technique #3" (purposfully taking a DoT for rage generation) is something we do during the whole fight. It's barely a burden for the healers and gives you all the rage you need to stay on top of threat.

Grakzul Slaughtbringer
07-10-2008, 12:25 AM
We never killed him, just did a raid on him last week. We were 3 tanks, 2 prot warriors and and a Druid. We put him at 25%.

We did not dps him hard in phase 1, because of his random abilities like disorient or knock back. Everyone was slow dps-ing, wand and white damage. And even like that, healing threat was not so far from the 3rd tank.
Something that worked fine for us: the 3 tanks went in a separate channel in Teamspeak (or ventrilo, as you wish) so that we were able to communicate how many debuffs we had, how many threat etc...and this helped us a lot.
We decided to tank without any misdirection on pull because it gave the 1st tank too much threat, we keep them for the tanks who have been knocked back, provided they don't have too much dots.

I was wondering, do Intervene work on the guy who is focused? If yes, would it help to keep him alive? I ask this question because I think that our tank team is pretty used to this fight, we don't do amny errors, and most wipes are due to the deaths of focused players (although we had 9 healers or so)

Worldie
07-10-2008, 04:34 AM
Intervene works... but... you are likely going to get a 10-15k hit in your face, so must be careful.

Magnuss
07-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Yeah intervene is a really nice ability to use during the Fel Enrage but you have to be careful. you still have an okay chance to dodge or parry his swing that you take for the Fel-Enraged individual but chances are you are going to eat a big hit. This can most definately save the raid by giving the healers the quarter second needed to survive but you want to make sure that you dont have any stacking debuffs on you. If you do have debuffs on you and its not very many then you should be alright but also be sure to check where your health is sitting at as well. If the healers are too busy focusing on the Fel Enrage and you are half health, intervene is a sure way to kill yourself.

Grakzul Slaughtbringer
07-12-2008, 01:31 AM
Ok thanks guys, we will try to use this ability wisely. Everything that can decrease the damage output, or increase the healing, must be done, and I think this is a point where we failed. As you said, a simple Intervene can (and obviously will) give our healers the quarter second they need to keep the focused player alive.