PDA

View Full Version : Essential Macros and Actionbar setup

choicecutnub
07-01-2008, 04:43 AM
Just starting to pvp with my warrior and I was after a little guidance on the best abilities to have on my action bar. Just wondering how the more successful pvp'ers have their action bar set up and with what macros etc.

Also, I currently have my stances key bound to F1-F3 respectively. This has been working ok but I've found that in the heat of battle sometimes I'm hitting F2 (def stance) rather than F3, losing precious time, missing a pummel etc - how do the rest of you switch stances?

cheers

Bloodwraith
07-01-2008, 05:25 AM
Would probably be a good idea to bind them closer to WASD on your keyboard. Maybe use SHIFT+ one of your current binds if need be.

In terms of spells you'll need:

Attack
Charge
Intercept
Hamstring
intimidating shout
Berserker rage
Spell reflect (macro)
deathwish
heroic strike
mortal strike
whirlwind
execute
Your pvp trinket
bloodrage
disarm macro
intervene macro
sunder armor
challenging shout
commanding shout
battle shout
overpower
pummel/shield bash macro
victory rush
piercing howl
sweeping strikes
cleave
Demoralizing shout
your battlemaster's/dps trinket
throw
rend
recklessness
taunt
mocking blow
thunderclap
shield block

those are what I have on my bars, in no particular order.

for macro's I use:

Disarm

#showtooltip Disarm
/cast [stance:2] Disarm; [stance:1,3] Defensive Stance

Pummel/Shield Bash

/cast [equipped:Shields, stance:1/2] Shield Bash; [noequipped:Shields, stance:1/2] Berserker Stance; [stance: 3] Pummel

Spell Reflect

/cast [stance:1/2,equipped:Shields] Spell Reflection; [stance:3] Defensive Stance
/equip [modifier:ctrl] Gladiator's Bonegrinder
/stopmacro [equipped: Shields]
/equip Gladiator's Shield Wall
/equipslot 16 Merciless Gladiator's Pummeler

Intervene

#showtooltip Intervene
/cast defensive stance
/cast [target=focus] Intervene

If you don't use focus target, the intervene one won't be of any use to you, change the weapon names in the spell reflect macro to your weapon names.

Here is a picture of my UI:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/bloodwraith816/WoWScrnShot_061108_220307.jpg

I had jsut made the UI, and I hadn't added keybinds yet. This is running the test function of the addons so you can see where everything would be in an arena situation.

for info on building a pvp UI go to this thread:

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/pvp-discussion-movies/37742-building-your-pvp-ui.html

Hope this helps ya =D

choicecutnub
07-01-2008, 05:48 AM
Holy crap - you listed like 30 abilities! I'm talking keys 1-10 . . . most important in your opinion - also switching stances - how do you do it? Have a mate who has his bound to the mouse wheel . . . couldn't get used to it :/ - thanks for your help Blood

Bloodwraith
07-01-2008, 05:55 AM
Holy crap - you listed like 30 abilities! I'm talking keys 1-10 . . . most important in your opinion - also switching stances - how do you do it? Have a mate who has his bound to the mouse wheel . . . couldn't get used to it :/ - thanks for your help Blood

Meh idk It's been ages since I used original blizzard UI, I guess you'll have to split it up according to stance, maybe add a bar above your action bars. I'd really suggest getting Bartender3 though.

Lately I've been testing out different keybinds, right now they're bound to SHIFT+1 and 2 and 3

Keybinds vary between what each person is comfortable with, but this is basically what the general idea is:

W is forward
A is strafe Left
S is backwards
D is strafe right

For things used in combat make them close the WASD
Instant and while moving, even closer to WASD
Not so critical spells can be farther away
common keys are 1-5 QER`F and then branch out from those
Use shift/control/Alt as modifiers for keybinds to keep them near your movement base
Leave nothing as a clicking ability

I personally wouldn't use mouse wheel, seems like you might accidently go the the wrong stance and there goes your rage =\

Clyde
07-01-2008, 06:21 AM
For myself, I handle all stance changes with macros tied to the abilities in question. My Overpower is actually a macro that swaps me to Battle if I'm not there and casts, my Interruption macro will use Shield Bash or Pummel and stance dance for me accordingly, etc. This means I have about 20 or so macros set up for abilities.

I've also set up so that I'm mouse moving and I have set up the left side of my keyboard to act as function keys.... so my fingers are on the "natural" home keys of ASDF. My highest priority skills are there, or on the QWERTY and ZXCVB keys. This gives me a few more easy to reach buttons.

Since getting used to this setup, I've been very pleased. Seems to improve my response time a bit, both for PvP and tanking.

Kazeyonoma
07-01-2008, 09:52 AM
I personally don't like relying on macros too much in pvp because in arenas especially, you find that automating anything will hurt you in the long run. Sometimes you simply want to switch to def stance and not put on your shield, or any of the other multitudes.

The only macros I have are
1) Equip sword and board, switch to def stance, try to cast shield reflect

This one is a life saver because normally by the time I need to pull this one out, I need it done within seconds, it's life or death, or sometimes a reflected polymorph can break a game

2) Target healer, def stance, intervene
My intervene button is #0, so It's tough for me to change and hit it as fast as I need to, AND the targetting of my healer, this one just makes it easier for me to escape or to get to my healer in a rescue.

Everything else I bind to just plain hotkeys and work it from there.

mastersam562
07-15-2008, 05:15 AM
Well I'm a newly 70 warrior, but I have enough experience with other classes like mage to know the important of macros and keybindings.

You can get some great macros here from the wiki

Useful macros for warriors - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft (http://www.wowwiki.com/Useful_macros_for_warriors)

The way I setup my binds is to keep everything close to my movement buttons (WASD), so the keys like 1-4, QEZXCR are all very easy to reach. I try to keep my macros hotbuttons hidden so they're all binded to keys mentioned, nothing is automated.

Couple of examples:
Keys 1-4 usually tend to be situational skills such as Sweeping Strikes, Death Wish, Blood Rage, Berserker Rage.

Keys ZXC are defensive skills macros Spell Reflect, Disarm, Thunder Clap

Keys QE are used for offensive Mortal Strike, Whirlwind, Slam, Victory Rush, Sunder

I used modifier on my macros so I have fit 3 skills/macros into one button
Example:
/cast [nomodifier] Mortal Strike
/cast [modifier:shift] Whirlwind
/cast [modifier:ctrl] Slam

3 skills all in one button close to my movement keys. You can bind pretty much all your skills onto those buttons. You can also set the keybindings to different hotkeys with SHIFT and CTRL.

Edited: For switching stance I have macro to do those for me which will be the automated part I guess :}

ebs2002
07-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Holy crap - you listed like 30 abilities! I'm talking keys 1-10 . . . most important in your opinion
If you had to do most important, and you didn't want to macro things, I'd say:
Charge, Hamstring, MS, WW, Pummel, Piercing Howl, Overpower, Intercept, Berserker Rage, Trinket.

But if you're limiting yourself to 10 keys, then you're gimping yourself horribly. You want to be able to demo/battle/commanding shout, you want to be able to disarm rogues and warriors, and thunderclap melee and intervene healers, you want to be able to spell reflect mages, to change your stances, to equip your sword/board or your 2h, you want to be able to rend rogues and sunder armor your target, you want to be able to sweeping strikes and deathwish.

Raskal
07-19-2008, 07:40 AM
When in battle stance i have beserker stance on key 3 so that when it enters zerker i can pop off a whirlwind quickly. Then while in zerker, key 4 is battle stance and it changes so i can get to overpower fast. I have Battle/defensive/zerker bound to F1/F2/F3 also just in case.

Heres my set up which i shamelessly stole off someone else because i was too lazy to try my own out haha, works a charm so far.

wasd - a and d are bound to strafe.

f1 - battle
f2 - defensive
f3 - berserker

battle/defensive/berserker:

` - tclap/tclap/berserker rage
1 - charge/intervene/intercept
2 - ms/heroic/ms
3 - berserker/sunder/ww
4 - op/revenge/battle
5 - heroic/taunt/heroic
e - execute/shield block/execute
q - hamstring/disarm/hamstring
r - shield bash/shield bash/pummel
f - shield reflect macro/shield reflect macro/shield reflect macro
shift g - retal/shieldwall/reck
shift 2 - sunder/ms/sunder

shift e - death wish
shift q - Racial ability (Stoneform for me)
shift r - sweeping strikes
t - cleave
shift 5 - rend
g - victory rush
shift t - slam
shift 3 - mocking blow
shift f - 2h/sword and shield weapon swap

z - commanding
x - battle
c - piercing howl
v - demoralizing

shift 1 - intimidating
shift 4 - challenging
f4 - shoot/throw macro

shift tab - bandage
shift space - mount
alt space - flying mount

y - pot

tab - trinket1
capslock - trinket2

shift ` - bloodrage

The only pain in the ass is occasionally hitting f and swapping into defensive to spell reflect when i go to hit g for victory rush :S, gotta think how to change that.

Sorry for the spam haha.