PDA

View Full Version : Kara - Does Shade of Aran require a tank?

Hyelrazur
06-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Does Shade of Aran require a tank?

My grouping for Kara runs has been lacking on DPS. I am trying to help get our dps geared for 25-man content. I am wondering if it's possible to just pull MT and OT out just for him?

Thanks in advance.

Armstrong
06-30-2008, 01:01 PM
You certainly don't need a tank on Aran himself. That said unless you have two warlocks or really good healing, having one or two people who can keep the elementals busy can help quite a bit if your group isn't overgeared for the encounter.

Tatt
06-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Agree w/armstrong, the only people really worth subbing out for the tanks are 2 good locks or 2 good rogues....as long as you have enough people to interrupt Aran's spells is the important thing. Most tanks like to just throw on some dps gear and go to town on him, pummel to interrupt.

suesse_llane
06-30-2008, 01:50 PM
I don't know if he's changed over the last year or so, but it at least used to be pretty useful to have him aggroed on a melee. He usually doesn't melee, but from time-to-time he will, and it's very nice to not have him running after some caster. The goal isn't damage reduction, but you want to keep him still. Therefore, melee shaman, cat, warrior dpsing, or rogue all work pretty well.

Also, I'd suggest keeping the prot warrior around if you have several physical damage characters in your raid. Keeping up sunder stacks is very easy when prot dpsing, and sunder is a huge dps boost. Also, prot warriors are great interrupts.

dlongest
06-30-2008, 02:15 PM
He'll go melee if he's locked out of all 3 spell schools simultaneously.

Daniel

fastidius
06-30-2008, 03:03 PM
OK so i had some experience with this last night......no he doesnt need a tank but the first person to engage may get a frostbolt and firebolt all at once....i took 3.5K then 5.5K and got owned. so send in a bear in cat gear who will swap back to dps or at least wear a sheild and spell reflect on engage hopefully it works on aran to some extent.

rustyboy
06-30-2008, 07:11 PM
1. You can't spell reflect Aran

2. If your tank is a warrior, get him to get into his fury gear and spam devstate, heroic strike, whirlwind while interrupting frost bolts and fire blasts. If he has 1700+ AP, 25+ crit, decent amount of hit and armour penetration he will most likely out dps everyone in your group. Something which I have done in my last 2 kara's doing over 1,000 dps in full prot spec. This is the most friendly warrior fight around with low armour on the boss, a target that doesn't move and regular incoming rage for extra damage.

3. Do not interrupt Arcane Missiles so that he stays in the middle for the whole fight. If you interrupt all schools of magic he will melee the person highest on his unofficial aggro list.

4. 2 warlocks help but are not essential

5. The more melee the easier the fight

6. Remember to take off salvation and put on something to help out with the dps.

gravelayer
07-14-2008, 09:00 AM
We have trouble on him as we are caster heavy. Sometimes no melee except for two tanks.
How important is keeping 490 defense up? I could really get my AP up if I was sure I didn't need to keep 490 defense.

Shadevarr
07-14-2008, 09:12 AM
no need to keep defense at all. Aran is a tankless fight. As stated previously throw on your DPS gear and cut loose.

Elyvern
07-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Like the other posters say, this is actually 1 raid fight where prot warrior can top the dps meters. Melee shines in this fight. Just go all out, stay in berserker stance and pummel the frostbolts and fireballs. When the elementals appear, concussive blow them, intimidating shout, it'll keep them off your squishies for a while.

jlafleur
07-14-2008, 10:38 AM
PVE spells don't crit hence no need to be uncrittable. 490 defense worthless against Shade unless you somehow get him to melee you. DPS gear for tanks. I can churn out 900+ dps on him dual-wield devastate spamming.

uglybbtoo
07-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Who cares if you get crit he melee's for peanuts and only when locked out of casting ... he is by nature a caster.

You do have to have some melee else he will walk around room when he is locked out which can make for horrid positioning problems. When he decides to melee if someone is within melee range it will be them and he wont move.

As for the one who starts the fight getting pwned sack your mage(s) because he should be counterspelled to stop the fireball .. we actually usually open with the mage letting go a pyro and if he lingers on him counterspell him ... but usually by then the melee types have charged in and got on interrupting him.

It's usually mage start pyro wait 2 seconds everybody charges in.

jfalcon
07-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Does Shade of Aran require a tank?

My grouping for Kara runs has been lacking on DPS. I am trying to help get our dps geared for 25-man content. I am wondering if it's possible to just pull MT and OT out just for him?

Thanks in advance.

This is one of the biggests misconceptions that i get from players... we don't have enough dps for shade.... Trust me, if you have killed curator you have enough dps.

Shade is not a DPS fight. It is a control fight. Having more DPS can acutally hurt you.

Here is how you can do shade effectively every single time...

1) DPS shade down to 48% carry over dots will bring him down to 45%. Kick or stop arcane missles then either fire or frost... don't stop all three schools.
2) Wait for him to sheep you... Locks can drain mana but hunters should not as they will do damage as well... and we don't want him summoning adds yet..
3) As soon as he pyro blasts... EVERYONE takes a cookie or a pot.
4) heal the Raid back to full prior to starting DPS
5) bring him below 40%, fear/banish/tank the 4 adds.
6) finish killing shade.

Most groups I have been a part of die becuase healers get caught in blizzard or someone moving through a flame wreath.

again your goal shouldn't be to blow shade away... control him and he will go the way of all your other bosses.

GL.

automatics
07-16-2008, 11:28 AM
I usualy throw on my dps gear for this fight and get out my offhand weapon. I do keep some EH tanking gear on to soak up spell dmg with.You will want to be in beserker stance anyway since pummel is on a shorter cd.

Work out a rotation for the interrupts so that one person trys to interrupt the fire, another the frost etc... We generally ignore the arcane missiles.

Staying on-top of the interrupt's will reduce the healers workload tremendously.

When he is at 20% spam execute and even pop recklessness for some leet prot warrior dps.

Reod
07-16-2008, 01:08 PM
1) DPS shade down to 48% carry over dots will bring him down to 45%. Kick or stop arcane missles then either fire or frost... don't stop all three schools.

I'm assuming your kicking arcane missile because you want him to use mana quicker?

He's never been to terribly hard to get down before he polys. Just DON'T kick any arcane missiles and make sure you kick the other two. Everytime you kick a AM you take him that much closer to sheeping you. Let him cast those long fire/ice spells and kick those at the last .5 second. He's already spent the mana you might as well let him keeping casting for the rest of the AM.

Tatt
07-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah, the point of kicking is to keep his mana above his health, arcane missiles are instant cast, so whether you interrupt them or not the mana is spent.

uglybbtoo
07-17-2008, 01:13 AM
A big reminder as of 2.2 the pyro cast itself is interruptable when you pop from sheep all melee that are close and can interrupt should try and stop the pyro.

jfalcon
07-17-2008, 08:53 AM
I'm assuming your kicking arcane missile because you want him to use mana quicker?

He's never been to terribly hard to get down before he polys. Just DON'T kick any arcane missiles and make sure you kick the other two. Everytime you kick a AM you take him that much closer to sheeping you. Let him cast those long fire/ice spells and kick those at the last .5 second. He's already spent the mana you might as well let him keeping casting for the rest of the AM.

Arcane Missles do more damage faster than either frostbolts or fireballs. By kicking them we limit the healing that is need to be done right this second allowing healers more time to avoid blizzards. You are also asusming that the raid has two "kicks" available. I learned to do this fight with two pally tanks and one rogue, becuase of this we were required to think outside of the box.

While I do not deny that some raids are more than capable of pulling off the kick strat... others just will not be able to do for any number of reasons. I am just offering another concept that may help those whos raid makeups and/or other factors make this strat difficult. Every raid can implement a control strat on this boss.

It also helps teach your raid discipline something that will come in very very handy as you progress from kara into tougher fights.

phaze
07-17-2008, 11:50 AM
You are also asusming that the raid has two "kicks" available. I learned to do this fight with two pally tanks and one rogue, becuase of this we were required to think outside of the box.

Don't forget other classes. From WowWiki (http://www.wowwiki.com/Shade_of_Aran):

The following abilities interrupt a Shade of Aran cast:
* Rogues' Kick
* Warriors' Pummel and Shield Bash
* Shamans' Earth Shock
* Druids' Feral Charge
* Mages' Counterspell
* Warlocks' Spell Lock

That's 6 out of 10 classes. Discounting the Warlock (requires Felhunter to be active) and Druid (not all are spec'd for Feral Charge), that's 4 out of 10 classes with an interrupt of some sort.

nosebone
07-17-2008, 12:24 PM
This is one of the biggests misconceptions that i get from players... we don't have enough dps for shade.... Trust me, if you have killed curator you have enough dps.

Shade is not a DPS fight. It is a control fight. Having more DPS can acutally hurt you.

Here is how you can do shade effectively every single time...

2) Wait for him to sheep you... Locks can drain mana but hunters should not as they will do damage as well... and we don't want him summoning adds yet..
3) As soon as he pyro blasts... EVERYONE takes a cookie or a pot.
4) heal the Raid back to full prior to starting DPS
5) bring him below 40%, fear/banish/tank the 4 adds.
6) finish killing shade.

Most groups I have been a part of die becuase healers get caught in blizzard or someone moving through a flame wreath.

again your goal shouldn't be to blow shade away... control him and he will go the way of all your other bosses.

GL.

we resorted to this tactic a few times when we were low on interupts and use it all the time now. just interupting the arcane missles (my job to pummel) and backing off dps a bit till he runs out of mana at 48-49%, sheep, heal, chain fear adds, and unleash hell on shade the rest of the fight. works every time and seems easier this way now not worrying about frost & fire.

and your right the only time we have failed is because of the blizzard or someone moving in flame wreath.

dlongest
07-17-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm sure the strats posted work great, but I've never run it where we got to the sheep/pyro portion of the event. I usually PUG it so I simplifed it to: kick frost/fire, DPS him as hard as you can; warlock banish/fear 2 elementals, I'll kill the other 2. I always single tank it so we have an extra DPS and his HP is so far below his mana, the timing is never an issue.

Daniel

jfalcon
07-21-2008, 07:06 AM
we resorted to this tactic a few times when we were low on interupts and use it all the time now. just interupting the arcane missles (my job to pummel) and backing off dps a bit till he runs out of mana at 48-49%, sheep, heal, chain fear adds, and unleash hell on shade the rest of the fight. works every time and seems easier this way now not worrying about frost & fire.

and your right the only time we have failed is because of the blizzard or someone moving in flame wreath.

I am glad to hear that it works well for you. I think this strat is much easier for groups who are appropriatly geared for kara, rather than over geared.

So many groups that go into kara these days have badge gear and everything else which they can flat out do more dps. This strat, my kara group used back when we were running kara, prior to badge gear being availible and before the attunments had been lifted.