PDA

View Full Version : Anetharon Infernal tanking

Luke
06-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Hey, I have a quick question about how to tank the infernals as a warrior. I know its optimal to have a pally do it, but our guilds pally tanks either don't have fire resist or there are other problems...heh.

But anyways, I'm usually the MT for our guild and I'm usually the one tanking Anetharon, but last night I had to tank the infernals. I used an intervene macro to get to whoever was being targeted and was there usually before it spawned. My problem is coming from a few things I think.

1. Our dps/whoever is not running towards me when they get targeted. Meaning I have to run half way across the map just to pick up the damn thing and by that time it's has already killed a few people due to the aura. I know this isn't really my fault, but how do ya'll deal with people not helping the tanks out?

2. I don't know if this was bad luck or not, but whenever an infernal would spawn, I'd get instantly sleeped. I had this happen for the first 3-4 (can't remember) infernals, resulting in an unlikely death. Is this common for other infernal tanks or is it just pure chance that I'd get slept?

3. The stun. Do I have to be a certain distance away from the infernal once it spawns to not get stunned? Sometimes I'd intervene and just get instantly stunned allowing the infernal to run away a little before I could pick him back up. Is this due to the intervene mechanic or because I'm standing to close to whoever was being targeted?

So with this, I'm out of the fight for a good 6-10 secs, depending on how fast the sleep lasted resulting in losing dps/healers. Can any warrior who has done this please give a little guidence on this?

Thanks,
Lukien.

Tedd
06-30-2008, 02:05 PM
1. Our dps/whoever is not running towards me when they get targeted. Meaning I have to run half way across the map just to pick up the damn thing and by that time it's has already killed a few people due to the aura. I know this isn't really my fault, but how do ya'll deal with people not helping the tanks out?
Have someone with an authoritative voice yell at the people to run to the north (whichever way is not through the MT) so you can pick the infernal up a good ways away from the rest of the group. Then bring it back to Jaina.

2. I don't know if this was bad luck or not, but whenever an infernal would spawn, I'd get instantly sleeped. I had this happen for the first 3-4 (can't remember) infernals, resulting in an unlikely death. Is this common for other infernal tanks or is it just pure chance that I'd get slept?
Bad luck. If this keeps happening, put our PVP trinket back on

3. The stun. Do I have to be a certain distance away from the infernal once it spawns to not get stunned? Sometimes I'd intervene and just get instantly stunned allowing the infernal to run away a little before I could pick him back up. Is this due to the intervene mechanic or because I'm standing to close to whoever was being targeted?
The infernals have a 10yard (I believe) stun when they spawn. Treat it like you did Alar and you should be fine. And yes, they will run directly for your healers no matter who they landed on, so have a hunter misdirect to help out. If they refuse, get better hunters.

So with this, I'm out of the fight for a good 6-10 secs, depending on how fast the sleep lasted resulting in losing dps/healers. Can any warrior who has done this please give a little guidence on this?
Ok you just re-asked the same question. Intercept+autoblocker+shield slam macro will probably help you out a lot here, however, its mostly just about your own reaction time and positioning when the thing hits the ground.

Its not hard once you get it down, really.

Luke
06-30-2008, 04:00 PM
ok, thanks. I know it isn't very hard just we had a new tank tanking anetheran so i was basically watching him so my reaction was prob a lil slow.

as for the hunters...they dont MD infernals at all...but that's a different story.

thanks for the help. will see how it goes tonight.

Tedd
06-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Actually, with good hunters, you don't really have to go anywhere.

Just sayin`

Shortypop
07-01-2008, 12:44 AM
We actually have both a prot warrior and prot pally on infernals, just means we have double the chance of getting them to stick on us. We fight Ane in the middle and infernals by Jaina. People moving very promptly when targeted by infernals is vital as is having some sort of passage through from the melee to the infernal tanks clear of people, to limit the aoe damage being done. Putting raid targets above the infernal tanks heads can help people know where they are as well.

Our biggest problem is that sometimes if they kill a quishy an npc attacks them and getting them off the npc can be a real pain.

Morgo
07-01-2008, 04:01 AM
Yeah, I usually tank the infernals as a warrior tank, and I find it paramount to have people run towards Jaina, this way I'm close enough to intercept and grap the infernal, before it reaches the healers. I prefer intercept to Intervene, because this way I don't get hit by the landing stun. But I play with 1/3 Tactical Mastery, so I have less rage issues. Intervene is great for Azgalor's doomed targets.

Luke
07-01-2008, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the input. I was actually thinking of using 2 tanks to pick up the infernals, on diff sides of the raid. But we ended up going to BT instead of hyjal yesterday so wasn't able to try it out. Next time I'll try the different method with intercept, and hopefully get this down. Now it's just getting people to actually listen to me and start running...

Danielmi
07-07-2008, 10:12 PM
I've got a question along the lines of the OP.
Essentially I'm atm the third wheel when it comes to anthaeron, I exorcise the infernal pull it to the inferno tank and he picks it up.
My first attempt I had no FR.
I however presume that I'm gonna be expected to start tanking the infernals solo, with that in mind, does the inferno tank need 490 def, as currently getting 490 will be a challenge while trying to cap FR.

Shortypop
07-08-2008, 12:32 AM
Tbh no point in capping fire resistance for even solo tanking infernals, assuming your dps is actually going to kill most of them and not expect you to tank the whole lot until the end (we usually leave the tanks tanking any from 20% onwards on Ane, just to speed up the kill a little).

I'd aim for about 200-250 fire resistance (including aura), although even this isn't necessary it will help your healer. As for crit immunity I'd guess they aren't boss level, so assume you can drop it a little but I actually can't remember.

Danielmi
07-08-2008, 12:53 AM
Yeah, see thats what I was thinking as well, but being that I'm new to the whole high end tanking think I'd pefer to check prior to doing it and getting it right the first time, instead of trial and error and costing the raid gold and time.

Kamani
07-08-2008, 12:13 PM

Shit like that pisses me off.

Solution:

(Push to talk key)
(Say) (guy's name who got infernal and didn't move to you), YOU ARE A FUCKING IDIOT
/gremove (guy's name who got infernal and didn't move to you)

Ran a last minute hyjal run last night and we didn't even kill Azgalore b/c of people doing stupid shit like that. Drives me crazy that I have to bust my ass on every wave as a tank while healers/dps think it's okay to afk and not pay attention.

/rantover

Luke
07-08-2008, 01:34 PM
ya it's pretty annoying when i explain the fight to the new people and even the ones who been there before, and they still don't run to me. as for the venting on vent (lol)...our guild has a no swearing policy so that'd get me instantly gkicked. but next time we go there i'll deff start calling people out and be like, you do this again, you lose your raid spot or something along those lines.

idk if i was disappointed in my raid or just pissed off when i told them about "target of target" unit frame (which i thought would have been given for a raid in t6...). half of them didnt even know what it was, let alone how to turn it on.

but anwyays, ya, i dont really run full fire res b/c they dont hit real hard and the dps (should) just nukes it down pretty quick so i'm not getting hit for very much. and i've switched to intercepting instead of intervene which seems to be working better. thanks for that.