PDA

View Full Version : Pally talent points...

Grewe02
06-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Noob here. First char, only been playing for a year. Right now I am holy (because it's easier) until I can accumulate some decent tanking gear.

My question is, do you put talent points into Anticipation, or not? A 5 / 5 Anticipation gives you 20 defense. Would you rather let your gear do the work or would you rather let the talent points bump you to 490?

Only reason I ask is I know spell damage is such a huge factor for us, I figure the talent points could be well spent somewhere else maybe.

Just a thought, flame me for it if you like.

Alent
06-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Take the points, you need the avoidance towards uncrush.

Sarimus
06-29-2008, 05:07 PM
A good spell dmg sword/mace (Crystalforged, Continuum Blade (Keepers of Time Revered)) with spell damage enchant will get you fine for spell damage to start. Focus on 485/490 defense first (490 for raids, 485 works for heroics), then your magic 102.4 dodge+block+parry+miss.

Klimpen
06-29-2008, 11:42 PM
Personally, at this point I would reccomend the S2 Gavel over most nearly anything as a starter weapon. S2 shield for that matter too.

Anticipation is a good amount of avoidance and there isn't anything worth replacing it with anyway.

Grewe02
07-02-2008, 03:24 AM
A good spell dmg sword/mace (Crystalforged, Continuum Blade (Keepers of Time Revered)) with spell damage enchant will get you fine for spell damage to start. Focus on 485/490 defense first (490 for raids, 485 works for heroics), then your magic 102.4 dodge+block+parry+miss.
I'm going to guess the answer to this question is no, but figured it can't hurt to ask,

Do I calculate all of that while I have a Redoubt proc and Holy Shield active?

Shortypop
07-02-2008, 03:26 AM
Redoubt = no, holy shield = yes (if thats your skill that increases block chance for 8 seconds). Remember also it includes base miss of mobs.

Grewe02
07-15-2008, 09:59 PM
New question,

Should I put points in Reckoning or Deflection(5% Parry)? I would imagine Reckoning but could see where Deflection could come in use later on down the road in Raiding. But for every day Heroic dungeons I think Reckoning would be better for holding aggro.

Thoughts?

Honorshammer
07-16-2008, 06:51 AM
Redoubt = no, holy shield = yes (if thats your skill that increases block chance for 8 seconds). Remember also it includes base miss of mobs.

Uncrushability Test
Code:
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(string.format("Need 102.4 avoidance. Currently: %s",floor((GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParry Chance()+5+(GetCombatRatingBonus(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL) +UnitDefense("Player")-5*UnitLevel("Player"))*0.04)*100)/100))

Test if your uncrushable, need 102.4% with holy shield up!

Go to the Maintankadin system (Maintankadin :: Index (http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/index.php)).

There you will learn from Lore, Dorvan, Psiven, Fridmarr, Wordlie and the other masters who instructed me.

Honorshammer
07-16-2008, 06:52 AM
New question,

Should I put points in Reckoning or Deflection(5% Parry)? I would imagine Reckoning but could see where Deflection could come in use later on down the road in Raiding. But for every day Heroic dungeons I think Reckoning would be better for holding aggro.

Thoughts?

1 or 2 points in Reckoning will get you decent uptime on it. You want full Deflection and is gives you 5% full avoidance and it will help you moving towards uncrushable.

Honorshammer
07-16-2008, 06:56 AM
Right now I am holy (because it's easier) until I can accumulate some decent tanking gear.

This isn't intended as a flame, so I hope you won't take it as such. I feel like this is a poor choice on your part. If you want to be a tank, be a tank.

There are a myriad of little skills you need to practice for tanking. Contrary to popular belief, there is more to Paladin tanking than standing there and hitting your Consecration button.

You need to throw your shield a couple of hundread time to learn how it bounces. You need to develop muscle memory on your Seal + Judge + Seal combo. You need to reflexively by able to taunt or throw a BoP on someone. You can tank Heroics in all blues (crafted, and reputation for the most part). I did. You might need a little more CC at first, but you can do it.

Nothing builds skill at tanking like tanking. You just can't learn that healing.