PDA

View Full Version : VR Taunt mechanic

Gehn
06-23-2008, 08:29 AM
Our guild has recently killed Void Reaver for the first time (Hurrah!). It took us two tries to do it, but once the DPS/Healers understood where to look to find the orbs, it was smooth sailing.

We ran w/ 4 tanks, though only three actually tanked VR.

On our first attempt (http://wowwebstats.com/omej53l5k6uzk?s=89928-94507&m), our 4th tank (Xavot) was able to keep up and, at times, surpass me when I glanced at Omen.

On our second attempt (http://wowwebstats.com/omej53l5k6uzk?m&s=95558-118464), he never came close when I glanced at Omen.

I have asked him what he was doing differently on the two attempts and the only thing he stated was that he was using Taunt liberally on the first attempt and sporadically on the second attempt.

I know that VR is immune to taunt. But, instead of being immune to all effects of the taunt, could it mean that VR is only immune to the effect that makes the mob attack you? This would still be able to give the taunting tank threat equal to the highest on the table.

I am extremely suspect of this possibility. But it is something that I have not seen examined anywhere.

Does anyone know how I would test this out other than screenshoting my omen before using taunt and then again directly after?

Honorshammer
06-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Our guild has recently killed Void Reaver for the first time (Hurrah!). It took us two tries to do it, but once the DPS/Healers understood where to look to find the orbs, it was smooth sailing.

We ran w/ 4 tanks, though only three actually tanked VR.

On our first attempt (http://wowwebstats.com/omej53l5k6uzk?s=89928-94507&m), our 4th tank (Xavot) was able to keep up and, at times, surpass me when I glanced at Omen.

On our second attempt (http://wowwebstats.com/omej53l5k6uzk?m&s=95558-118464), he never came close when I glanced at Omen.

I have asked him what he was doing differently on the two attempts and the only thing he stated was that he was using Taunt liberally on the first attempt and sporadically on the second attempt.

I know that VR is immune to taunt. But, instead of being immune to all effects of the taunt, could it mean that VR is only immune to the effect that makes the mob attack you? This would still be able to give the taunting tank threat equal to the highest on the table.

I am extremely suspect of this possibility. But it is something that I have not seen examined anywhere.

Does anyone know how I would test this out other than screenshoting my omen before using taunt and then again directly after?

What we found was that Omen was showing the threat gains but VR himself was not. It lead to us thinking we were well ahead of the DPS, until one of our 20/41 Locks pulled and the melee group got Orbed right after a pounding.

Our next attempt we didn't taunt.

Shadevarr
06-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Same thing happened to me on Gruul. Have not noticed this behavior in the current version of omen though.

Krashtork
06-24-2008, 09:53 AM
I am not sure about the taunt mechanic on void reaver, but honestly it is possible to crank out enough threat that you only need 1 tank, 2 for safety. Last night my guild finally downed VR for the 1st time. I was the MT with a druid off tank, and i was generating enough TPS to hold onto him all but 2 times. I imagine with better gear you could do this with 1 tank if they crank enough TPS. Originally i had assumed that his knockback wipes your aggro completely, but as i found out, it only dumps a large portion of it.So if you can keep enough of a lead over the next tank, he'll kick you back, and then keep beating on you. I was able to hold him through about 5 knockbacks in a row with an average of 1.1k TPS.

Throng
06-26-2008, 05:08 AM
We've found that - fantastic though it is - Omen is unreliable on VR and a taunt will mess it up on Gruul, too.

Jodatee
07-01-2008, 05:03 AM
ya, I've noticed omen doing this on other untauntables before :(. Its just something that omen needs to fix. Whats happening is that omen is registering the amount of threat that the taunt should have provided but the threat gain really isnt taking place :(
Oneday some magical person somewher will make a glitch-free threat meter... i just know it....

Doc309
07-01-2008, 08:56 AM
problem is i don't think there's an "immune to taunt" in the combat log for omen to parse.

Homunkulus
07-16-2008, 04:54 AM
Why on earth are you taunting immune mobs anyway?

uglybbtoo
07-17-2008, 01:21 AM
It happens to all bosses in hijal as well. They are all taunt immune and as someone pointed out omen has no way to parse it as no resist shows in your combat log it would have to probably be adjusted to know what you have set as target.

Yes it is giving you the threat as if the taunt landed where infact the threat does not exist.