PDA

View Full Version : Sunwell Radiance - Gearing strategies for Sunwell

bruttall
06-23-2008, 05:04 AM
Last night was our first night of attempts on Kalegcos. We had several of our main healers out for the evening, but wanted to at least get some attempts in and hopefully pickup some trash epics.

Although I had read about the Sunwell Radiance aura before it amazed me how much damage I took -- Both from the robots and Kalegcos. Did any of you change your gear/gear sets/stat focus to increase survivability in Sunwell?

I've got every tanking piece from BT and most everything from Hyjal. My unbuffed stats for our attempts last night were:

18134 HP
19000 Armor
28% Dodge
22% Parry
100 Hit Rating
11 Expertise Rating

Most of my gear is gemmed straight stam. I did try one attempt on Kalegcos wearing my avoidance gear which drops about 1k unbuffed hp but pushes dodge to 34%.

My gut tells me that we just needed or core badass healers and possibly an extra healer (we ran 8...9 might have been better).

Almost all attempts on Kalegcos ended up with one of the tanks dying. My role in the fight was as 'the third tank' who tanks the dragon form until the 4th portal and takes the 5th portal.

Thanks.

Worldie
06-23-2008, 05:17 AM
Do exactly like you do for every other fight, first meet the EH requirements, then stack avoidance.

Indris
06-23-2008, 06:08 AM
Would suggest 10 healers for learning Kalecgos, maybe even 11 if your gear isn't that great. We've been in Sunwell for quite a while now and still find it rather challenging with 8, I would NOT want to do it without 10 w/o having at least some Sunwell gear.

Your stats look ok, really shouldn't be a reason for your wipes if healing is fine - although you really need to chaindrink ironshield there if you weren't, and be ready to use your cooldowns and stuff like nightmare seed during critical moments, scrolls of agi/armor never hurt anyone, either.

ttocs
06-25-2008, 09:55 AM
We started out this fight stacking healers. We had 10 for our first kill. That's going to be key for this fight.

If you're used to a DPS warrior keeping up demo shout, you should also get in the habit of doing that yourself. Make sure the mob is TC/DS'd all the time.

We also favored prot warriors over ferals for this fight, since -10%/-16% magic damage tends to help a lot here. Our ferals seemed more squishy than the warriors here, especially on the demon (corrupting strike).

Xav
06-25-2008, 11:21 PM
Full survival spec as a warrior on this. Max imp demo and imp TC, and all the rest of the survival/mitigation talents. Max stamina.

Before you taunt the demon, make sure Demo + TC are up (apply them yourself!), and taunt. That way you're taking the least amount of damage possible. Also, never tank the demon without an Ironshield up while learning.

I'd wager 98% of the wipes guilds experience while learning will be from a tank dying while tanking the demon.

Dragaan
06-26-2008, 05:39 AM
I went for imp demo and imp taunt (can be very helpful on that fight) for this fight. One thing a lot of tanks who are brand new to sunwell are doing, which I don't necessarily agree with, is regemming and stacking up as much avoidance as they can because of the aura. If you are still in mostly hyjal/bt gear, it's my opinion that you should not gem for avoidance over stamina yet. Especially for the kalecgos encounter, effective health is extremely important. Yes your avoidance is lower in sunwell, but during that encounter most of the burst damage the tank takes is when corrupting strike hits and you can't avoid anyway. Plus, there is quite a bit of collateral damage being thrown around throughout the encounter that is not avoidable. Wear armor with avoidance on it, but gem for stam. I also found 2 stam trinkets more useful than a stam+avoidance trinket for that fight. Chug ironshields and make sure your debuffs are up and you should be in good shape.

EDIT: Oh, and remember -- The human CAN tank the demon from time to time. If you aren't getting the heals needed to survive down there, let him tank for a few and wait for more healers to arrive or just let him tank until he gets striked and taunt off him (but let him have it back until next strike). Just don't let him tank half the encounter, heh.

Xav
06-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Yeah, pretty much. I put avoidance in my extra armor set, and went for avoidance first in my Sunwell pieces, now putting stamina in my 2nd pieces of the Sunwell items. You want the stamina for Kalecgos (and Felmyst and Twins and M'uru..), so you're just gimping yourself if you put avoidance in your main (and only) set of tanking gear. Wait till you have extra.

I always wear a clicky avoidance trinket though, it's so invaluable (except on Twins, cause I'm using a pvp trinket + commendation there for raw stamina).

Good mention on imp. taunt, I forgot we picked that up too for Kalecgos. (We were respeccing for like every boss fight for min/maxing, so eh)

ttocs
06-26-2008, 11:00 AM
I've pretty much followed the same philosophy. All I had was hyjal/BT gear (I tanked our first kalec kill with 2 pieces of T6, some T5 because that's all I had).

Some of the new sunwell pieces I gemmed for avoidance, some for stamina. Being that we have 3 prot warriors on a rotation, items don't come as quickly for me. I just now got the last two pieces of T6 (bracers/belt), and we've been farming the first 3 bosses for a good 2 or so months now.

When the time comes, I might get other gear and gem it for stam, but for now, I seem to be able to mix and match OK.

However, I still don't have Moroes' Lucky Pocket Watch. I've been using Shadowmoon Insignia and the Commendation to cover up for it. I've seen it 4 times when I go on my rogue, but when I bring my warrior to tank moroes, it doesn't drop. Go figure.

Dragaan
06-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Pocketwatch is amazing for stomps on brutallus. Sry for goin offtopic, heh. :P

Dragaan
06-27-2008, 12:07 AM
Oh...and to the OP -- I just looked over your stats again that you said youve been tanking Kalec in. Those stats (if unbuffed) are absolutely great for tanking that fight. You must be much better geared than I was for our first kill. You could lose 1000 health, 5% avoidance and 1000 armor and STILL be fine, lol.

Kamani
06-29-2008, 04:56 PM
I suggest using free action potions instead of ironshield. Chugging an armor pot yields 2500 armor, chugging a free action yields 65% avoidance instead of being stunned.

Xav
06-30-2008, 01:01 AM
The fault with free action is it lasts for a fraction of the duration you're tanking. You will definitely be tanking the demon for more than twice as long as the duration of the FAP, plus, Ironshield carries over to reduce the damage the dragon deals, which can be huge during enrage (same goes for demon).

It's best you get used to chain-chugging Ironshields early in Sunwell, since you'll be doing it all the way through M'uru.