PDA

View Full Version : Resistance for Hydross

breaklance
06-22-2008, 08:07 PM
ok so me and a couple people decided to rebuild our once dead guild, tons of fun right? nontheless im most geared, and dedicated MT though I've never been to t5(which makes me cry inside).

other officers have the experience, but i have a few questions pertaining to the resistance sets since the other officers and i have taken it upon ourselves to farm the mats for several sets of both nature/frost resist, while we try to quickly gear our healers and other tanks. we know we are still atleast 2months away from

Now for some reason i thought the nature resist cap was 150 and i need to balance that with staying above 490. But a quick read through of a SSC guide here said just go for 300 resistance.

Do i need to be defence capped at all for the fight if im one of the MT's? Just how much resistance do i and the other tank need? If it is the 300 can someone suggest other items craftable/attainable to reach that mark.

Do we need to find those random greens with +50 resistance, and then just not care about the armor class?

Armstrong
06-22-2008, 09:19 PM
At level 70, the resistance cap against a raid boss is 365. Every additional point of resist up to 365 will reduce spike damage and decrease the chance of tank death.

Hydross has a standard 5.6% chance to crit versus 350 Defense. His attacks cannot be blocked, so you can't reduce your chance of being crit using the Shield Block ability. You can lower your chance of being crit using both Defense and Resilience. The two stack together, so with enough Resilience you can make yourself immune to crit with less than 490 Defense. Resilience rating reduces your chance of being crit at a higher rate than Defense rating does. Defense rating however increases your avoidance.

Tanks have beat Hydross while being crittable, and others have beat Hydross with less than maximum resistance. Some probably did with both.

That being said, reaching max resisance AND crit immunity is definitely achievable, so it's up to you how much effort you want to put into making your resist set as good as it can be.

You can find some guidelines here:

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/gear-lists-rankings/37128-resistance-gear-lists-mechanics.html

The exact gear and enchant that you should use can vary depending on what you already own and what random greens you can get your hands on. Armor value has no effect on Hydross' damage, so cloth, leather or mail are just as good as plate.

Hope this helps, good luck with SSC.

Dany
06-24-2008, 08:14 AM
The ideal is 295 resist + a 70 aura (shaman totem, pally aura, or hunt nature aura) and -5.6% to be crit (def and/or resilience).

For resistance: You have epic plate crafts really efficient for both frost and nature, a ring, and a neck. Consider leatherwork patch 8 resistance.

For def/resi, consider the arena shield, really efficient, the shadowlab trinket 32 def, there's a good blue ring with 20ish resilience too but can't remember where :o.
Enchant/gem your resistance gear with def if you miss some and then stam.
ho, and don't forget the 20 resistance enchant on helm

Orenus
07-14-2008, 01:46 PM
There's also a 35 resist all flask that stacks w/ auras or totems. That brings the resist target down to 260. 260 resist + 490 defense is quite achievable with the 3 piece resist plate and the jewelcrafting neck and ring.

Elyvern
07-15-2008, 02:42 AM
I'm the frost tank in my guild, my nature tank is a....druid in green gear. Yep, you heard it right, green AH gear. He's a tauren so he gets an inherent +10 to nature resist. He wears a few pieces of high def/res items to reach uncrittable, but the point is his resist gear is entirely from farming the AH, while I spent 2+ weeks grinding 100+ primals, ore, leather for my plate set. On our 1st hydross attempt, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop cos c'mon, green AH gear to meet the requirements? There must be a catch, but we 1-shot him. :P

Also, you can use broiled bloodfin to add another +8 resist to all schools of magic.

Shadevarr
07-15-2008, 11:37 AM
our druid nature tank is geared the same and we've had the same results. The advantage to the warrior gear is much higher stam values on said items and having to use less of them. When we go in, the warrior actually has more health than the druid so they do pay a price for the greenies.

Also, our prot warriors dual wield on hydross since you cannot shield block him so might as well get the extra threat.

Guardian81683
07-16-2008, 04:57 PM
In my setup you don't need any trash greens from the ah.

Broiled Bloodfin - 8 resist *cooking
Wildguard Helm - 50 resist *blacksmithing
Wildguard Leggings - 60 resist *blacksmithing
Wildguard Breastplate - 60 resist *blacksmithing
The Natural Ward - 35 resist *jewelcrafting
Pendant of Withering - 30 resist *jewelcrafting
Nature Resistance - 10 resist
Totem/Paura/Haura - 70 resist
Nature Armor Kit - 8 resist *leatherworking (put on chest)
Flask of Chromatic Wonder - 35 resist *alchemy

This will top you off at 366 Nature Resist. If you are not a Tauren, then my suggestion is to not enchant your helm with 16def/17dod or your leggings with Nethercleft and substitute for a Nature armor kit for an additional 8 which will put you at 364 resist. Personally you might be better off sacrificing the Nethercleft even though you lose hp, this is because you will need the extra def on the helm enchant to become uncritable.

phaze
07-16-2008, 08:01 PM
not enchant your helm with 16def/17dod or your leggings with Nethercleft and substitute for a Nature armor kit for an additional 8 which will put you at 364 resist. Personally you might be better off sacrificing the Nethercleft even though you lose hp, this is because you will need the extra def on the helm enchant to become uncritable.
I prefer the Glyph (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29194) from Cen Exp rep, for the helm enchant.

breaklance
08-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Hydross has a standard 5.6% chance to crit versus 350 Defense.

You sure about this? Cause I've managed just to keep 5.66% decreased chance to be crit, my pvp gear is laughable other than my 2 vindicators peices.

phaze
08-11-2008, 06:08 AM
You sure about this?

That's why it's called 'standard.' ;)

breaklance
08-16-2008, 07:57 AM
ya i realized that 5.6% is equal to 490 def when i logged in and started messin around with my gear again. for somereason i thought 490 put you at 6% not to be crit