PDA

View Full Version : New boss in H SP - anyone have tanking tips?

Prof
06-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Midsummer fest has provided us with a new tanking challenge in heroic Slave Pens. Has anyone successfully tanked the new boss and adds? How did you do it? Everytime I attacked the boss directly I just got a "pocket full of snow." I Never made it past phase 3 in 6 attempts. Thanks for your input.

Morgo
06-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Lord Ahune - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft (http://www.wowwiki.com/Ahune)

Phase One: Just tank the big add, have one ranged assist you killing it. the other two dps should be hunting small adds.

Phase two: equip your Fists of Brutality or whatever you use for dps, go nuts for 30 sec.

reequip sword and board, rinse and repeat.

nobel
06-21-2008, 10:18 PM
bring dps that is speced right.. i ran today with a mutilate rogue and a undergeared druid.. it was painfull ><.. really the adds can be one to two shotted by half decent dps.. all you should have to do is tank the elite..

Creampuf
06-22-2008, 04:27 AM
Everything is frost immune. If you bring a mage, make sure they're fire or arcane spec'ed, or willing to respec if frost.

clavarnway
06-22-2008, 05:47 AM
As far as tanking goes, it's incredibly easy. Drag the big Earth Elemental away from everybody else (it has a melee-wide AOE that stacks), have a ranged person help you kill it while the other 2 dps kill the little elementals (you don't tank the little ones). Once the big Earth Elemental is dead, go help with the little ones while getting a big fat Rage bar (be sure to switch to Zerker before you start building Rage). When Ahune is weakened, rip into him (be sure to put your offhand weapon on) as much as you can. Eventually he will go back into phase 1. Rinse, repeat.

Oh, and if you see frost start to sparkle at your feet, move, there is a spike that does about 2k damage and tosses you around.

Raize
06-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Like they say, theres no actual boss to tank, just an elite on the first phase. The challenge to the encounter is dealing with the adds.
On heroic difficulty, this fight seems a little overpowered.

Barlic
06-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Also I found when I tanked it, alot of my damage taken was frost damage from the elites stacking AoE aura.

Raize
06-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Yeah, the elite stacks an aura that once fully stacked does 3000 damage every 3 seconds. This DoT also stacks on anyone else near it so its important that the elite is kept away from others.
Melee are better off killing the adds rather than the elite for this reason.

annerajb
06-23-2008, 07:17 AM
i was the first people on my server to try it. and best way to deal with adds is a elemental shaman to do chain ligthing they have 2k of health so they will get one shooted. apart from that not slipping on ice.

Shadevarr
06-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Downed him a few times, failed miserably others. As far as tanking goes, all we get is an elite that isn't that bad.

Everyone needs to watch for the ground spikes, they are avoidable and can launch you in the water (happened to me while tanking). Warlocks do pretty well with the adds using seed of corruption. Mages will OOM before it is time to dps boss. Melee DPS cannot be on the elite due to the 3000 frost damage every 3 seconds. Tank it in EH gear, frost res gear made it worse on the elite.

This seems to be a situational awareness fight since the frost spikes seem to have been where the majority of my issues have been.

clavarnway
06-23-2008, 11:04 AM
What kinda worked for us when we had 0 ranged dps was having 1 melee on the elite, wait until their stack hit 10, then they switch out with another melee. Doing this cycle meant there was never a melee dps with a 10 stack for long, which made healing easier. If you do it this way though you need high melee dps as you won't have alot of dps on the adds, and the adds are what killed us when we did it this way, not the elite not dying.

kawika
06-23-2008, 02:00 PM
is there a reason to wanting to do the event on heroic (other than the challenge and badge of course)? afaik the sought after items (enchant, pet, and staff) drop from both normal and heroic. heroic mode drops epic necks i believe versus the capes on normal.

edit: just saw the epic tank neck hailstone pendant. i guess that's why you'd want to do it on heroic? how does it measure up against the brooch from the boj vendor or the sso neck?

Spiriel
06-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Phase 1: Tank elite. Have warlock spam seed on elite.
Phase 2: DPS

Collect phat lewts after 2-4 cycles.

Thist
06-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Weak healer? Wear hydross resist set :-)