PDA

View Full Version : When did WSG go bad?

Tatt
06-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Has anyone else noticed that WSG is taking longer and longer to win..or lose? I have been grinding tokens for the upcoming S2 downgrade, and it is the most painful thing on the planet to spend an hour in WSG because everyone is just fighting in the middle. Both sides always have the flag, both flag carriers are hiding on the roof, and no one is trying to win! Is this just my battlegroup, or has everyone forgotten how to win WSG?

Creampuf
06-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Since I'm relatively new to the game, what you describe has been my only experience in WSG. I've just assumed it was a horrible design choice.

kawika
06-20-2008, 07:56 PM
i never really like wsg..but i did a few preforms back in the day and controlling the middle was a strat employed at times. either just for harrassment purposes or delibriately cutting off offense reinforcements for the opposing side while allowing defense support for your side's flag carrier.

outside of "preforms"...my theory has always been that some just farm honor via kills in BGs...hence the hanging out in the middle. whether or not this is "time efficient" can vary on an individual basis. i always figured AV to be better for that. sometimes.

maybe it's related to queue wait times? if there's a long wait time...ppl are more apt to farming honor in BGs. too bad you dont have any badge farm groups ....queue up and let the other side win so you can loose quickly to get your badges. i've heard of a number of groups do this. never seen one myself however...heh.

Tatt
06-21-2008, 08:00 AM
Lol never thought of that, group up to fail....sounds like most people's idea of arena :) Just seems so damn simple, kill them, get the flag to a pally or a druid, kill some more, get tokens, go home. No wonder everyone jsut plays zerg in AV instead.

Kazeyonoma
06-21-2008, 10:38 PM
WSG has gone back to the old way of "no diminishing returns on honor" since that patch.
I think that's part of the reason it's taking so long. get a premade going and go to town. I think when me and my friends team up we win in under 10 minutes, but it balances out because we have to wait 16 minutes to get into a game =(

cael
06-22-2008, 08:15 PM
W. I think when me and my friends team up we win in under 10 minutes, but it balances out because we have to wait 16 minutes to get into a game =(

God I hate that change!....With my new guild on a new server when leveling we would stop at every bracket and pvp as a group. It was so much fun. Now we are considered a "pre-made" and have to wait a half hour? I really hope they change it back. If I ever face a premade it doesnt ruin the bg for me just makes beating them so much more sweet!

PS It feels like alliance win 98% of all the av on my battle group ruin. Is this anyone elses experience?

Daavos
06-23-2008, 10:09 AM
God I hate that change!....With my new guild on a new server when leveling we would stop at every bracket and pvp as a group. It was so much fun. Now we are considered a "pre-made" and have to wait a half hour? I really hope they change it back. If I ever face a premade it doesnt ruin the bg for me just makes beating them so much more sweet!

PS It feels like alliance win 98% of all the av on my battle group ruin. Is this anyone elses experience?

I'm Stormstrike for the alliance, and I agree with the OP. WSG is horrible. I'm not sure if it's a game design or because my faction fails at it.
Once in blue moon there seem to be players who are activily trying to win. But most to the time it's random pvper's trying to solo pvp in a group situation. Or simply they become target focused and will chase down some half dead mage across the entire map while the flag carrier is dying. If the enemy retreats from the field it's a victory for your side because you've a remove a player from the ongoing battle. If you chase after the near dead enemy it's a victory for the opposing faction because they've removed you from battle too.
IMO, most alliance players on my server give up once the other faction caps the first flag and it turns into kill everything in the middle, lets just hurry up and lose this match, give me my free honor.

I think the BG's also to a less extent suffer from lack of healers. It's near impossible to run the flag without a healer

I've had 1 hour matches and I've been in ten minute games. What I find worst is you don't get any silverwing rep unless your side caps a flag. The rep grind for WSG and AB are super slow.

I also find players on both side don't understand the importance of self sacrifice in the BGs. I admire the rogue/warrior/lock who stands in the middle of mounted players in AV trying to slow and stun few income players to slow their progression down the field. Sure enough 12 player dismount and kill the player, but your sides progression has been slowed dramaticly. In AB I've watched a warrior ride through the BS flag, stop, and run away, while 3 of the other faction chase after him and kill'em. Only to lose the flag because the 1 or 2 players following behind and caping the unguarded flag.

Kazeyonoma
06-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Whenever I have my druid in WSG, we either triple flag cap between the 2 of us for really fast wins, or we let someone else do it and i charge up the cliff into alliance gy and druid just keeps me alive while i rack up 30+ kb's =x

Clyde
06-24-2008, 10:49 AM

According to Warcraft Realms, in AV Alliance is winning 62% of the time. This is much higher than I see where I play, Whirlwind, where Horde wins over half. Interesting.

In your BG (Ruin) it looks like Horde has a strong edge in the other three BGs, winning 66% of AB, for example.

So, no, it just varies.

Edgar
06-24-2008, 02:35 PM
The thing with WSG is that it doesn't have a timed end. Arathi Basin eventually will end by itself, resources are always coming. EotS will eventually end, the points just keep coming.

WSG transformed into let's keep the flag in our base and camp it for ~30 minutes.

There's this debuff now but it still takes forever for that to apply. WSG is just long and dull, i get my marks and gtf-out.

Brucimus
06-24-2008, 02:54 PM
WSG is still the same as It always has been.

I don't claim to be an expert in BG's but I do have two toons that are exalted with the Silverwing Sentinels. I base most of the complaints on the fact that we live in an instant gratification world.

I also think many pvpers are not mentally tough enough to overcome any kind of obstacle or adversity. Most would prefer to quit, afk or qq in a corner rather than to put in an effort to win

Ukyo
06-24-2008, 05:33 PM
I also think many pvpers are not mentally tough enough to overcome any kind of obstacle or adversity. Most would prefer to quit, afk or qq in a corner rather than to put in an effort to win

QFT, i totally agree :D

Arrivan
06-24-2008, 09:37 PM
I also find players on both side don't understand the importance of self sacrifice in the BGs. I admire the rogue/warrior/lock who stands in the middle of mounted players in AV trying to slow and stun few income players to slow their progression down the field. Sure enough 12 player dismount and kill the player, but your sides progression has been slowed dramaticly. In AB I've watched a warrior ride through the BS flag, stop, and run away, while 3 of the other faction chase after him and kill'em. Only to lose the flag because the 1 or 2 players following behind and caping the unguarded flag.

This is often the only thing I do in BGs :P Since I very rarely get healed by anyone because I always solo queue I try to be the biggest distraction possible and to do as much damage as I can before dying. However, when a healer decides to follow me it's clobbering time :)

Muffin Man
06-28-2008, 03:09 PM

This is all the more frustrating because WSG is probably the easiest battleground to get a come from behind win in. But no one wants to try once the other side gets 2 caps. Maybe it's time to play premades, I dunno.

And the point about self sacrifice, I think all warriors have learned that role by default.... at least when there are no healers around. Then the healers learn that role when the warriors forget to intervene :p.

I'm not sure why, but everyone seems to target me first, so I'm pretty used to dying for the team. Case in point, me and a rogue cleared the enemy flag room. He asked if I wanted to run it (dunno why). I told him to take it. As we came out of the tunnel the entire other side started pounding on me, by the time I was dead the Rogue was halfway across the field ready to be greeted by the rest of our team. Yeah for being a punching bag.

Tatt
06-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Anyone ever do like me and charge into a crowd to get 1 fear off before you died, just to screw up their coordination?

Ukyo
06-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Anyone ever do like me and charge into a crowd to get 1 fear off before you died, just to screw up their coordination?

i usually do that, and then i get like 3 healers on my back, and i end up screwing up their entire group xD...

Though... i usually end up dead without heals, but i always try to take down as many as i can with me >=D