PDA

View Full Version : Question about Brutallus.



Kahmal
06-19-2008, 11:26 PM
I doubt I'll ever even get to go toe to toe with this brute but one thing that has been boggling my mind for quite awhile is this fight is the pinnacle of a DPS race right? So a class will be pushing to most DPS he/she ever has on this fight then? So doesn't that mean the tank needs to gear for threat?

But on the other hand I hear this guys damage out put is exstreme so you have to gear to the point that you can survive such punishment. So I'm going to guess that tanks some what mix survival with threat stats then.

But if thats so and the tank isn't at the pinnacle of the threat he could be doing, how is the DPS even able to push the needed amount of DPS without pulling aggro and since the boss has been downed by many guilds its just got me thinking....if such an encounter exist WTF are we working so hard to make such beast mode threat sets if people can reach there max DPS in your all purpose set!?

Indris
06-20-2008, 01:53 AM
Considering Brutallus' damage, you have literally unlimited rage. You don't need a whole lot of threatgear to maintain a decent level of threat while having heroic strike on every single swing.

Threat sets are usually suited for trash or content you outgear, where rage can be an issue; wherever tank survival is a problem, incoming damage usually ensures you've got enough rage to maintain solid threat in whatever gear.

Nickolaas
06-20-2008, 03:40 AM
Indeed, infinite rage is the answer.
Forget threatgear in this fight, I still got oneshot in the best tankinggear I could possibly have at that time.
I and really mean I have every item from hyjal/BT and even the T6 bracers from kalec.

Threat was never an issue, not even on our kill.
Ofc there are the shatter and feign death resists but you cant blame the tanks threat for that.

Splug
06-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Yeah - a small amount of expertise is enough for threat generation here; and you can probably get that off a fairly decent tanking piece anyway. The fact that every attack is a heroic strike and you'll never run out of rage for your rotation is enough to mean threat-stat gear is just going to get you killed, and you're far more likely to wipe to a tank dieing than the enrage if your dps is all riding the threat cap.

Now, if 80% of your damage isn't reaching the threat cap, and you're reliant on the other 20% to pull enough numbers... that's a different problem.

-Splug

Xav
06-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Pretty much already been said, but yes. Infinite rage = success. I use my executioner weapon for the first transition or two that I'm tanking him on, just for a bigger threat boost, then swap over to my mongoose for the rest. Depending on how stacked your group is, you may not even need to do that.

Dragaan
06-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Tanked him for my first time last night. Only had about 70hit, 21 expertise, and prolly about 400ish block (+240 armor on gloves instead of 2% threat). Rest was pure armor/avoidance/stam. I was considering using the kalec sword with executioner at first, but right away i realized I wouldnt need it and I swapped in the UBW with goose. Even with over 31dodge 21parry and 530ish defense, I still had totally unlimited rage while tanking him. If you have an enhance shaman in your group, you'd probably be fine with much lower hit/expertise.

ttocs
06-26-2008, 11:11 AM
I've tanked him with 52 hit, 6 expertise (just from defiance), in a purely survival set. You will have casters riding ~125% threat on this, but it's doable, pre-enrage (though, by a hair) too. I also didn't have the +2% threat enchant in this set. I almost never get goa (which I'd rather have on this fight, but we're a little short on shaman), and I sometimes get a feral.

Just make sure you stick to your rotation though. The only thing you need to watch out for is stomp to use a cooldown (when tanking - dont miss your time to taunt!), other than that, keep on top of your rotation.

But, like what's been said.. you have to have a good raid to sustain that. You can't have 3-4 people carrying your DPS.