PDA

View Full Version : Prioritizing Prot DPS Gear...

Sickman
06-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Hi, I have a question. First off here is my Armory Link. Hopefully I am wearing DPS gear when people check it.:P

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Stormrage&n=Sickman)

Ok now on to my question. Since S2 stuff will be purchasable with Honor soon, I had decided to get 2 of the Merciless Gladiator's Slicer. I have the honor and the EotS tokens I need already. But I have also collected almost 200 Badges of Justice. I have all of the tanking gear I can get from badges except for Fire Resist gear and it is not even on my mind at this point. So should I use my badges to get the Fist Weapons: Vanir's Right Fist of Brutality and Vanir's Left Fist of Brutality?

I am pretty sure these would be more DPS than 2 S2 swords. If not then by all means correct me.:P But if I were to spend badges on weapons, what should i spend my honor and tokens on? I'd like to get a nicer DPS going for when I grind and for certain boss fights. But I'm not sure how to go about using my currency to maximize it. Any thoughts?

Currently I have 188 BoJ's, about 38k honor, 40 EotS tokens, and 20 or so AB tokens. I don't mind gathering tokens. Some people in my guild love BG's and frequently win so i can tag along with them.

If you had my currency, (or thereabouts) how would you go about maximizing your DPS set? Any help is appreciated. I know it's kind of a broad question but I'm just curious of others' opinions.

.Sick

Kazeyonoma
06-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Moved to DPS forum.

Tatt
06-19-2008, 03:48 PM
If you are not respeccing to fury then you want to get as much strength and AP as possible for prot dps. I would personally go both slow badge fists and pick up bloodlust brooch, should be 186 badges total, badge fists out dps S2 fists and the AP on the trinket will help you more than the skyguard cross.

Sickman
06-21-2008, 12:23 AM
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the info. What do you think about the S2 Shoulders? Do you think they would be worth it if I used my badges for the weapons? Also, how do the badge reward leggings stack up? Are they worth the badges? (Either pair) Thanks in advance.

.Sick

Tatt
06-21-2008, 08:12 AM
I am not a fan of either set of badge pants, personally I would hold out for S3 or S4 legs, the rating requirement is very low, I believe 1550 for S4 and 1500 for S3 after Tuesday. Merciless shoulders would be a crit upgrade for you, not a strength one. Ragesteel actually has 3 more strength than either one of those, but honestly your shoulders are fine for the moment. Save your honor for new boots or ring if you can get the rating for it.

Brucimus
06-21-2008, 10:33 AM
I find that High Armor Penetration is really nice for Prot DPS because you are devastating all the time

I happend to logout in my DPS gear with like 700 Armor Pen

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kirin+Tor&n=Brucimus)

Crimsonstorm
06-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Stack Str and Armor Pen. You have 10% Str boost from vitality, and Executioner on your MH will be up often with the devastate spam.
Its something like: (With Str being equal to 1)
7Arp = 1
2AP = .9
Crit = .7-.8
Haste = .6-.7
Hit = .5-.6
Agi = .5-.6
Haste is poor for prot dps, since so little of your dps is from autoattacks, and hit is even worse. Get to the hit cap of 142, but you dont want to go much over that at all.

Note that the best spec for Prot dps is 17/3/41:
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LA0czhbZcZbytoI0zzxst)

Impale means that heroic strike and devastate (and execute) crits do 20% more. You basically change the standard 12/5/44 build with:
+3 Deep Wounds
+2 Impale
-2 Cruelty
-1 Anticipation
-2 Shield Mastery

WIth about 33% buffed crit with feral, and 70% yellow damage (which is what happens with decent heroic strike spam), each Impale point is +2.3% dps vs +1 for Cruelty. Deep wounds also adds about 2% dps for the 3 pts, for a net change of 4-5% dps increase. You lose 20% block value and 4 defense, so you give up a little tanking effectiveness for this 4-5% dps.

In this build, crit is stronger, more like .8-.9 Str, because you have the impale.