PDA

View Full Version : Help me increase dps for Aran

SionaAmanThul
06-17-2008, 05:21 AM
I would appreciate some recommendations on weps to increase my dps for the Shade of Aran fight. I've been using Khorium Champion and it's too slow. Any weps for dual wielding that you would recommend?

jlafleur
06-17-2008, 05:43 AM
It would be helpful to know what your class and spec are before making recommendations. In any event, baring that information the following site should give you some ideas as to what weapon will increase your dps with whatever spec and class.

MaxDPS.com - World of Warcraft Gear Rankings - News (http://www.maxdps.com)

SionaAmanThul
06-17-2008, 06:58 AM
Sorry, don't know why my signature isn't showing.

I'm prot, MT. Thanks for the link.

Sprot
06-17-2008, 07:01 AM
Sorry, don't know why my signature isn't showing.

I'm prot, MT. Thanks for the link.

Fury Gear, Dual-wield devastate spam in zerker stance, whirlwind when possible, heroic strike if excess rage.

-sprot

Hollowskin
06-17-2008, 07:02 AM
I usually rock 1100+DPS with WF as prot on Aran.

Just toss on a DPS set:
1700+AP
25+crit

Try to get enchants/gems.

Oh.. and never try to DPS with a 2h if you're not specd for MS.

Devistate is a 1h ability. Dual wield!

Use Whirlwind, then Devistate every GCD. Interrupt (pummel) the frostbolts/fireballs.

hbombs
06-17-2008, 07:17 AM
my guild pulled aran on purpose when i wasn't in the room.. it was a fun kara run especially because I haven't been there in a long time :) the rogue who pulled got to be in group 3 by himself for prince.

Leytur
06-17-2008, 07:25 AM
I actually employ a different strategy on Aran--interrupt as much as possible. Shield bash, concussive blow, war stomp, and pummel. If you DW'ing just for DPS you can't shield bash. If I'm REALLY looking to do my best I will switch out my shield when SB is on CD. But that's kind of a pain when Aran is on farm. Basically I've found we run into more problems when healers are taking frostbolts and fireballs to the face then when I'm not doing enough DPS.

Sprot
06-17-2008, 07:43 AM
I actually employ a different strategy on Aran--interrupt as much as possible. Shield bash, concussive blow, war stomp, and pummel. If you DW'ing just for DPS you can't shield bash. If I'm REALLY looking to do my best I will switch out my shield when SB is on CD. But that's kind of a pain when Aran is on farm. Basically I've found we run into more problems when healers are taking frostbolts and fireballs to the face then when I'm not doing enough DPS.

Shield bash & pummel share their cooldown, unless i'm totally mistaken, and Aran is immune to both War stomp & concussive blow. I don't see a reason not to be in zerker, unless you need to tank an elemental or two.

phaze
06-17-2008, 11:19 AM
I don't see a reason not to be in zerker, unless you need to tank an elemental or two.
I agree. If you're spec'd for Prot, then swapping to DW Fury-style gear and staying with Berserker Stance is the way to go. 5/5 1H Weapon Specialization + cheap Devastates + no threat concerns = happy Prot DPS. ;)

You'll lose a bit of damage from prioritizing Pummel for interrupts, but that's just part of the fight.

If you're in charge of picking up an elemental, I still wouldn't bother changing stance/gear; Intercept + Concussion Blow takes them out of the fight for almost their entire health duration. Use Pummel to interrupt Aran, then go destroy an elemental while you wait on Pummel's cooldown. ;)

Barlic
06-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Since no one has mentioned getting both your weapons sharpened/weighted with adament stones also helps increase your dps. Also once he gets under 20% go to town with execute spam, using a rage pot is kind of fun at that point.

Thist
06-17-2008, 11:40 AM
I out-dps most people on aran. I put on my dps gear (mostly vengeful glad) and my Rage and Fury (from ZA - but any 2-one handers with a low speed, preferably both the same speed, are fine). I whirl when its up, dev when not, heroic strike with excess, pummel when needed. Don't forget that you can blow your fear on elementals. Also - recklessness + execute will really help you top the dps charts! If you're at the point where "every little bit helps" then don't forget to thunderclap while running out and shoot him while you wait to intercept back in.

SionaAmanThul
06-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Hey, thanks everyone! I'm going to strap on two one handers, sharpen them and go to town on him in zerker stance. Will let you know how it goes.

Krigermannen
06-18-2008, 07:51 AM
I out-dps most people on aran. I put on my dps gear (mostly vengeful glad) and my Rage and Fury (from ZA - but any 2-one handers with a low speed, preferably both the same speed, are fine). I whirl when its up, dev when not, heroic strike with excess, pummel when needed. Don't forget that you can blow your fear on elementals. Also - recklessness + execute will really help you top the dps charts! If you're at the point where "every little bit helps" then don't forget to thunderclap while running out and shoot him while you wait to intercept back in.

There is no reason to take two fast weapons, and no reason to take two weapons at the same speed either, since there is no flurry when you're prot...

Two slow or Slow/Fast weapons is still better because of Devestate doing more damage with a slow MH and because of more damage from WW with a slow OH.

Edit: Oh, and yeah. I out-DPS nearly everyone on aran too ^^
But that's mainly because my guild's not very far in kara ( just took prince for the 3rd time or summat ) and their DPSers kinda... Suck ;)

SionaAmanThul
06-24-2008, 03:46 AM
We finally downed Aran. Thanks for your help. In the end, it had more to do with people learning not to blow it on the fire wreaths and running away during the arcane blasts.

Leytur
06-24-2008, 05:14 AM
Shield bash & pummel share their cooldown, unless i'm totally mistaken, and Aran is immune to both War stomp & concussive blow. I don't see a reason not to be in zerker, unless you need to tank an elemental or two.

Yea I did it last night DW/Zerker and the interrupts were identical. My bad. I DID have to tank an elemental which didn't work too well without a shield.

rustyboy
06-24-2008, 08:53 PM
When I topped the meter in Aran most people in the group were like WTF. But to tell you the truth Aran is probably the friendliest prot DPS boss.

Max out AP
Max out Armour Penetration
Cap hit for specials (142 )
Dual Wield your 2 best 1 handed Weapons (I use Dragonstrike with Executioner & Heartless or Fury with Mongoose

I have found that spamming dev and hs more effective for maximum damage. 15 hits of Whirlwind was about 12.4k damage and 19 hits of Heroic Strike was about 47k damage. Maybe just unlucky.Don't forget save some rage just before flame wreath and then hit beserker and go for it. Once he's down to 20% spam execute.

It's better for the tank to be able to do a heap of damage than just be an interrupt machine, then you don't have to worry at all about the poly. Last time I did it his mana was like at 50% when we killed him. I only interrupt when I can, remember there are a ton load of classes that can interrupt and its not just up to the melee to do it. Its actually easier for casters to interrupt because they can use stop casting macros, where once a melee is on GCD we have to wait before we can interrupt.

Leytur
06-25-2008, 04:20 AM
The point of interrupting is more to take a load off the healers than to prevent a polymorph. In 4 months of Aran fights we've only seen one polymorph. But we have wiped several times to Aran's eye locking onto a squishy and bashing their face in. Interrupts help reduce that chance.