PDA

View Full Version : Jan'Alai approach with warr/druid tanks needed

psinister
06-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi all,

I'm looking to do the Jan'Alai encounter with 3 healers plus dual warrior tanks and warrior+druid tanks. These are two separate raids. Anyone have strats or advice for those setups with 3 healers specific to the Jan'Alai encounter? Would T-clap and demo shout spam be enough for AoEing the dragon hawk hatchlings?

If there is a post / existing strat please reply with the URL. Thanks in advance.

dlongest
06-13-2008, 11:52 AM
So far in my attempts, TClap/Demo Shout has not been enough to handle any sizeable number of dragonhawks. You may have more luck. Get a mage and hunter to freezing trap/frost nova to slow them down and give the OT max time to put out threat and for the DPS to nuke.

Daniel

hbombs
06-13-2008, 12:01 PM
A druid Can Aoe Tank the birds just fine if your AOE is good and give the druid a little time the birds will be dead before they cause to much trouble.

A warrior should not be tanking the birds at all. but if you have to with a skilled raid group you can single target down the birds as they come out as the warrior does his best to control as many as possible. He will blow his AOE taunt at the right perferebly on the second side of eggs you guys could get through it. Its not a strat I would be willing to try though :)

with a druid tanking I dont believe you release the whole side at once like you would with a pally. maybe 5 eggs first phase then the rest. then 5 eggs on the other side then the rest. same would go for warrior.

Tatt
06-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Saw a warrior aoe tank all the bids once but very unconventionally....lightning food, the engineer's lightning zapper shield, darkmoon card vengeance, shield spike, all kinds of specialized equipment, but it worked and he held the whole side.

hbombs
06-13-2008, 12:43 PM
rofl nice

Tatt
06-13-2008, 12:49 PM
It was Nuberino, I have not seen him on recently but if you catch him you can ask him the details.

Alent
06-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Petrified Lichen Guard is more reliable than Force reactive disk...

Tatt
06-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Yes but lichen guard only affects mobs that hit you, the reactive disk attacks everything in area.

kawika
06-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Saw a warrior aoe tank all the bids once but very unconventionally....lightning food, the engineer's lightning zapper shield, darkmoon card vengeance, shield spike, all kinds of specialized equipment, but it worked and he held the whole side.

my raid group tank set up is druid / warrior. tried it both ways. finally successful with me (war) on the birds.

having a shaman and a hunter spec'd for entrapment helped tremendously. cant emphasize that enough. earthbind + slow and root from the frost traps was essential to me retaininig agro.

set up similar to what was mentioned above.
druid thorns buff
stormchops
petrified lichen guard with felsteel shield spike
darkmoon card: vengeance

i've experimented with going with FR gear and my tank gear and while the mitigation from the flame buffets was nice...going tank gear felt better for the spikes in damage. difference of about 2k HP unbuffed between the 2.

Also when we finally downed him....i had a major fire protection cauldron up. While it may not be that essential for the rest of the raid to have it....i found it extremely useful for myself. Mitigation of damage from flame buffets and from the boss's flame cone if i happen to get caught in it (my focus is on the birds so awareness of where the flame cone is can be challenging).

Downed one before the pull so i could place one in my inventory immediately to start. Would take them as cooldown was available and run to the cauldron to get another pot when i wasnt tanking birds.

i picked up figurine of the colossus recently, so i plan to see how that plays in retaining agro (figure the healing from blocks would add to threat generation).

Honorshammer
06-16-2008, 11:20 AM
You stated you had 3 healers. I assume one of those is a Holy Paladin.

Have your Holy Paladin put on some PVP gear for increased stamina. The healing on Jan is not too bad (provided the birds are under control and people watch the bombs), so you one healer on the MT and on the Holy Paladin.

Have your Holy Paladin activate Righteous Fury and Consecrate to pick up the Birds. If he is spec'ed into Spiritual Focus and Improved Concentration Aura he can even get some heals off, but that shouldn't be nessessary.

With the spell dmg/healing conversion he'll have enough spell damage in Holy gear to hold aggro. He'll be harder to keep up than a Prot Paladin would be,
but I bet it could work.

In between heals, try to Cleanse the Fire Debuff. That thing can get to insane levels.

The tricky part will be when Jan releases all the Eggs and enrages. Your healing resources are really going to be stretched until the birds are down.

All that said, Tankadins FTW!

Alkahn
06-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Holy pali is definitely a good way to go; even throwing up righteous fury and healing (to out-aggro the other healers) is a safe way to "back up" a warrior tank.

We did it last reset with me as the warrior offtank, and I managed to hold aggro on 14 or so at a time using the Force Reactive Disk, Figurine of the Collosus, and Dabiri's Enigma (with thorns, etc).

Basically get a hunter or shaman help snare them, demo shout, tclap, whirlwind (3/3 TM helps here) and once the wave of 4 spawns I throw down a bomb. The nice thing is that once you have 10 birds hitting you w/ that shield, the blocks create an AOE field that more or less gathers the last of the birds for you. We were able to take out the hawks in 2 waves (one each side) this way. The first wave I used the figurine for added healing threat, the 2nd wave I used challenge shout and shield wall.

I'm also wearing 4 pieces of FR (2 epic, 2 blue crafted) and had about 250 FR for the fight, which lessens damage quite a significant amount.

Druids have nice AOE tanking options but warriors (engineers at least) can use a lot of 'tricks' to get the job done.

Best of luck!

jlafleur
06-17-2008, 05:37 AM
I haven't tanked the birds on Jan'Alai but I do solo tank the worms in heroic MrT as a warrior using pretty much everything you see plus one more thing:

Petrified Lichen Guard with Felsteel Shield Spike
Figurine of the Colossus
Dabiri's Enigma

plus

Fel Iron Bombs

then just cleave/devastate plus thunderclap. Windfury would be helpful too. Figurine of the Colossus certainly does help with agro since you get that threat plus you don't need as much healing.