PDA

View Full Version : Painful Kara run

York
06-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Last night we had a 5hr 15 min kara run without even dropping prince/netherspite.

Being the type to try and find the issue so I don't fall into the same pitfalls, I was running WWS and wanted to see if anyone sees anything out of place.

We are pretty over geared for Kara and I wanted to eat my keyboard. Our MT and raid leader Earthrager visits tankspot and was trying to keep us at a good clip. It just didn't work out as planned.

(I'm Mef btw, yes I'm a rogue, but tankspot has good info for everyone)

Here's the WWS:

http://wowwebstats.com/x1atx3zkgvc2e;jsessionid=EE327FFDD69443AB3206A63C1 9AAEE43.sv2 (http://wowwebstats.com/x1atx3zkgvc2e;jsessionid=EE327FFDD69443AB3206A63C1 9AAEE43.sv2)

Any criticism or advice is welcomed, I have thick skin.

Kerchunk
06-12-2008, 11:44 AM
99 times out of 100 if you're overgeared and wiping, it's because people think gear plays the game for them and get lazy.

Pay attention, stay focused and don't fuck up. That's about it. Nothing out of the ordinary on WWS.

Danach
06-12-2008, 12:56 PM
DPS overall does look to be a little low. It's certainly fine for clearing kara but I wouldn't say it's at a 3 hour clear level yet. I also noticed switching people in and out throughout the night, this does certainly take time and each time you stop for it, can add 15 minutes to the clear time. Even for us now, around 4-4 1/2 hours is pretty typical, and we normally bring 6 dps, each putting out 900+. We also take a good number of smoke/bathroom breaks after bosses :)

Thist
06-12-2008, 02:22 PM
This reminds me of an agonizing run where I tanked for 9 people when their usual prot pally was away. Yes, you can do it faster with a tier6 prot pally. No, I am not one, I'm a tier5 warrior. The deaths, whining about me wanting to pull (no hunter), etc made for a very and unpleasant run, and when their usual prot pally came on I told I hated him (for fun, he got a laugh out of it).

Another thing I have learnt from kara runs with overgeared people are that you don't have to be draconic about sticking to strats that you did when you started kara - let the rogue offtank if he wants, let the crazy shammy tank casters, etc. Either they will die a few times and give up or you'll be surprised at how good your rogue offtank is, or how the shammys add is dead before everyone gets to it. If you keep insisting things are done EXACTLY as you have always done them it can drag on longer and everyone is more likely to get bored. You can also generally skip all explanations, just decide on some symbols in advance and mark them up quick when needed.

Letting everyone know there will be 3 min afks after each boss or second boss helps cut down afks. Subbing in alts for specific bosses can be limited to chars logged out at kara so people don't have to wait too long.

Sprot
06-13-2008, 06:53 AM
if everyone was overgeared, then every DPS but you & the hunter blew. The mages & the warlock sucked and at least one of the warriors (Zigmaz) sucked. Esp. Aran is a good benchmark for the melee types, no aggro and close to no armor = massive melee dps on Aran, and Zigmaz managed a whopping 400 dps where a competent overgeared (T4/T5/Badges) off warrior should easily reach 1000 - hell, somewhat overgeared prot warriors in fury gear push 800 dps on Aran...

-Sprot

hbombs
06-13-2008, 07:46 AM
lol sprot is right. Some of your dps is just to low. That dps warr needs to be directed to this site asap.

dlongest
06-13-2008, 09:20 AM
if everyone was overgeared, then every DPS but you & the hunter blew. The mages & the warlock sucked and at least one of the warriors (Zigmaz) sucked. Esp. Aran is a good benchmark for the melee types, no aggro and close to no armor = massive melee dps on Aran, and Zigmaz managed a whopping 400 dps where a competent overgeared (T4/T5/Badges) off warrior should easily reach 1000 - hell, somewhat overgeared prot warriors in fury gear push 800 dps on Aran...

-Sprot

This is one of the best and most hilariously phrased analyses I have ever read. Kudos Sprot.

Daniel

Barlic
06-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Well some observations I can make on the warlock assuming I got the right guys armory profile from the US server.

His spell damage and crit are not bad , his spell hit is a bit low at 82 especially if he is going the destruction route, ya having to get 202 hit rating if you want to be hit capped. (Destro has no hit talents so you do need a good amount of hit, even affliction locks need it since shadowbolts are still a sizable chunk of damage.)

2nd his build is 21/0/40 which is unusual since most destro locks go for demonic sac for either the imp or succubus 15% damage buffs. This is of course assuming he wants to focus on destro.

Raize
06-16-2008, 03:24 PM

-Sprot

Hell, even i've done over 600 dps as prot with maybe 4-5 pieces of dps gear. Going to love it when i eventually have a full set.

Kharn
06-16-2008, 06:22 PM
well 4 healers if u say u are overgeared, take 2 ;) and maybe 1 tank so u have 7 dd left. And if u compare the healers Illyandar did 50% of they heal rest 3 share the rest 50%. Ok didnīt checked changes. If u had 2 healers and just changed the setup it is fine.
The one tank story, is about how overgeared are u?
A few days a go we did a rnd run and it took 3 hours, thought we could do it in 2, but dmg was little low, but some of your dds realy need an upgrade in how to dps ;)

Dunmail
06-17-2008, 03:21 AM
I started dropping the shield on trash and just dev/hs spam the shit out of them. Seemed to work fine on the first half, pumps up threat nicely and even with piddly 11k armour survive fine, even with the casters. Not sure I'm confident enough to try it on some bosses, or some of the later trash just yet though.