PDA

View Full Version : How much magic dmg is too much (MGT)

Raize
06-11-2008, 04:14 PM
I've been tanking MGT more often of late and have had comments from a healer that i am harder to keep up from the amount of magic damage that i am receiving than other tanks.

I usually have spell reflect up each time i can but these guys do seem to bounce my health a fair bit and have killed me a few times. I generally have anywhere between 17-19k buffed.

I generally do not cc the casters over other mobs (i.e mage guards) and take them out first (better me getting hit than the healer right?).

I don't use Improved Defensive Stance as i generally do not tank a lot in raids (other than kara and za occasionally) and favour Anger Management and Improved Heroic Strike in my build.

Does anyone think that it is actually necessary for IDS to lessen this type of damage? Other than that i can't see why i would be any more difficult to heal than anyone else.

Any comments/suggestions would be welcome.

dlongest
06-12-2008, 08:11 AM
I tank H MgT just fine with 0 points in IDS. I have about the same amount of HP that you do.

It depends on what CC is available, but I normally try to take physicians and warlocks out of play as long as possible through CC and kill Blood Knights first.

Remember to Bash the spellcasters some and Conc Blow is always an option as well. One thing you can also try, depending on the healer and group competence, is don't even bother to tank one of the spellcasters, just have the DPS pile on that mob first. Other classes and you will take about the same amount of damage from most spell casters anyway. If the healer is competent, that takes some of the magic load off of you and gives you time to corral the other mobs.

Daniel

clavarnway
06-12-2008, 08:28 AM
Here is my tips on the casters. Do what dlongest said and be sure to use Shield Bash alot (along with well timed Conc Blow). If you are tauren use War Stomp and try to interrupt a couple of casters.

Spell Reflect on cooldown when facing a Warlock + Magister is guaranteed to hit something.

If you have a Warlock, have him/her put Curse of Tongues on all the casters. This reduces their DPS by an astounding 60%. This is the reason I would rather bring a Warlock then a Mage to Heroic Magisters, given the choice.

Failing that, having a Rogue Shiv Mind-Numbing Poison onto the casters is a very good idea.

(Any kind of casting reduction effects trivializes casters)

Make sure your groupmates are using their abilities to the fullest. This is 5 person group, every member needs to use their abilities. This includes Holy Pallies, they have a 6 second stun, good ones USE IT!!

Ret Pallies have 2 stuns, Shamans have Shocks for interrupts, Rogues have multiple stuns + interrupt , Fury/Arms warriors have interrupts, Feral Druids have a interrupt in Cat form, some Hunters have Silencing Shot (forgot which spec).

PS: If you have Spriest, let them have time of their lives MC'ing some of the casters in this place - ridiculously good CC.

uglybbtoo
06-17-2008, 08:02 PM
I generally do not cc the casters over other mobs (i.e mage guards) and take them out first (better me getting hit than the healer right?).
Any comments/suggestions would be welcome.

Seriously you cc the mage guards? They represent the least threat IMO.

My threat order.

1. Warlock ... always cc it .. can cast thru walls very hard to pull and takes 15% HP per cast

2. Magister always marked as first to kill its ice bolts are lethal and come at 1s intervals with haste.

3. Sister ... its seduce on your or healer can be fatal if I have a lock enslave it else its always second to die and keep interrupts on it.

Middle tier threat witches, 2 healer classes, warrior guy with arcane aoe.
Nothing exciting here they heal and do damage but nothing vital your healer will easily keep you up against a piles of these.

Lowest threat mage guards they do the stupid bubble and melee you.

Generally if I have 2 healers types in a mob and a spare cc it goes on one of the healers.

clavarnway
06-18-2008, 06:09 AM
Seriously you cc the mage guards? They represent the least threat IMO.

I cc them first every time...they have an conal stun that does high damage. This is pretty friggin nasty in this place, but if you get him Glaive Throwing you at the pull, that removes you (the tank) from the fight and you are going to have every mob in the pull going every which way, and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. IMO they are the most threatening because they can throw a haywire into your whole plan. No other mob in that place can really do that except for perhaps the Succubus.

My threat order.

1. Warlock ... always cc it .. can cast thru walls very hard to pull and takes 15% HP per cast

2. Magister always marked as first to kill its ice bolts are lethal and come at 1s intervals with haste.

3. Sister ... its seduce on your or healer can be fatal if I have a lock enslave it else its always second to die and keep interrupts on it.

Middle tier threat witches, 2 healer classes, warrior guy with arcane aoe.
Nothing exciting here they heal and do damage but nothing vital your healer will easily keep you up against a piles of these.

Lowest threat mage guards they do the stupid bubble and melee you.

Generally if I have 2 healers types in a mob and a spare cc it goes on one of the healers.

Generally I value Magisters as more dangerous than Warlocks, because if you let a Magister live long enough, his haste buff will stack so high he will be casting high damage bolts every second. At least with the Warlock it's a consistent (if high) amount of damage. So I try to burn Magisters near the beginning of the pull, usually before Blood Knights (I set Blood Knight as my focus though so I can interrupt it).

The Physician, though it doesn't seem it, can really make a pull more difficult than it should be. They do a powerful Prayer of Mending that can bounce for a long time and really increase the time you have to do on a pull, and if you have a Rogue, this can really weaken the power of Sap since you may not even kill a mob (due to the PoM bouncing) before the Sap ends.

Sirq
06-18-2008, 07:13 AM
Generally I value Magisters as more dangerous than Warlocks, because if you let a Magister live long enough, his haste buff will stack so high he will be casting high damage bolts every second.
Although standing far away I've gotten 3 frostbolt reflected off 1 spellreflect - cus he casts so fast, which is quite cool, but you need a pro healer for it, cus after that he'll pwn you in the face :P

clavarnway
06-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Although standing far away I've gotten 3 frostbolt reflected off 1 spellreflect - cus he casts so fast, which is quite cool, but you need a pro healer for it, cus after that he'll pwn you in the face :P
Haha I should try that one day...but only when it's the last mob left...so the healer can spam heal me.

But I would never do actually plan to do that with a regular pull...one Spell Reflect is enough to hold aggro on one of those casters until all the DPS moves onto it, and even then you get a ton of threat from Spell Reflecting their spells.

Barlic
06-18-2008, 09:12 AM
If you have a Warlock, have him/her put Curse of Tongues on all the casters. This reduces their DPS by an astounding 60%. This is the reason I would rather bring a Warlock then a Mage to Heroic Magisters, given the choice.

Even more on the Magisters since it slows down the rate at which their cast increase buff stacks. This being true for any CC or temp stuns on him.

mkramer
06-29-2008, 03:00 PM
CC priority for humanoids on the 5 packs depends on your group composition. If you can't CC the succubus you kill her first. If you can CC the succubus then you do that and this is the cc priority:

#1 physicians because they cast instant heals
#2 ethereum smugglers because they teleport / aoe

If you have a physician and a bloodknight in the group, and can't CC both because there is also an ethereum smuggler, then you cc the physician and kill the bloodknight first, interrupting the heal. If you don't have both healers, or you can CC both, let the mage be the first target because they die so fast. They practically can't live through a concussion blow. If necessary you can let a dps tank the mage (but say you're going to do that first).

Same thing for locks don't CC locks because you can easily tank them with spell reflect and they die fast. You spell reflect 2 incinerates while the mage is going down and the lock is at 75% life.

Mage guards are not necessary to CC because they are one class that you can neutralize by wearing armor and tanking it. You just face them away from the group so no one gets glaived. Coilskar witches are also weak and you can just tank them.

The important ones to CC are the succubi, the healers, and the ethereum smugglers, because those are the ones with abilities that can wipe the group even if they are being tanked. The ones to kill first are the mages and warlocks because they die really fast and hit hard.

edit: BTW I have never had a problem LOS pulling the lock. They can't cast through walls. Try it again man, they really can't.