PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Sentinel Void on Muru.

Facesmasher
06-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Well I have the pleasure of tanking the Void Sentinels on the Muru encounter for mye guild. But it seems like I am taking a bit to much damage. I am reflecting the void blast and trying to stay out of shadowbolt volley range as much as I can. So I was thinking that I might have to change around on some gear maybe.

Armory (http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Emeriss&n=Hoell)

Is there anything I should change?

Ive tried using a flask + 30 sta food and Major defense/Major Agi pot + 30 sta food. Chugging Ironshields as much as I can.

Any pointers on what to do different in the tanking ?

Tharr
06-10-2008, 03:41 PM
For Sentinels I try stacking as much avoidance as possible, while keep some expertise and hit because u need to build threat fast. Demo Shout and Thunderclap helps alot to. U will take enough magical dmg to not get rage starved. And make sure u reflect the big bursts from the sentinels, those give you huge threat boosts.

I try to tank the sentinel so our paladin don't get hit by the shadow nova and when sentinel is below ~40% I move it ontop of the paladin so he's ready to pickup new spawns. U will take some shadowbolts if u stay that close but with enough avoidance and thunderclap/demo shout up u should not take to much dmg.

Indris
06-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Your avoidance is way low, would suggest using MH trash cloak / moroes trinket / T6 gloves & leggings, and whatever other pieces you might be able to get w/o nerfing your stam too much to improve it.

Also, if your survival is really a big issue, an amazing big part of incoming damage there is shadow damage; swapping your neck / cloak for the shadowres pieces may be an option too. (our last M'uru raid about 70% of my incoming damage was shadow damage, although my avoidance is way higher than yours so that plays a factor in it I'd imagine)

Your gear generally seems a bit off, if what you have on armory is your 'best' stuff, are you your guild's OT or something? Because if you have a better geared tank at one of the entrances on humanoids, it might be a good idea to have him tank sentinels instead and you go for humanoids - their damage is much less bursty and generally less dangerous, or so we've found.

Facesmasher
06-10-2008, 06:26 PM
We dont run with MT/OT thingy but I am the third prot warrior and like fifth tank or something but the problem is we are having some connection issue on our other tanks so it has become my task to tank the sentinels. I changed around a bit on the gear to the best avoidance I can get now without getting too low on HP. I should probably pick up the 45 sta/1,4% dodge ring from badges and Ill probably get the t6 bracers next reset.

Xav
06-12-2008, 09:49 AM
I use ~150 buffed SR to reduce volley damage from the nearby spawns. Chain ironshield. Always demo + thunderclap them. Spec into some improved demo to help out since it's just you debuffing them. I don't wear anything special avoidance-wise and prefer high stamina pieces, because stamina makes more sense vs slow attacking mobs but for extremely high hits, and elemental damage. (All of which this role deals with)

I use a chromatic flask, neck, and cloak, of shadow resistance, and then the rest is just good tank pieces. I also tank entropius in phase 2 with the same gearset, obviously, only swapping weapon+shield to threat ones for Entropius.

NinJOu
08-01-2008, 07:19 AM
Hey Xav,

With this stuff, how much TPS do you make on Entropius ? Do you get a WF ? How long do you take him down ?

Xav
08-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Hey Xav,

With this stuff, how much TPS do you make on Entropius ? Do you get a WF ? How long do you take him down ?

I don't know, enough to hold off our casters anyway. I swap to my executioner weapon + kazrogal shield with +10 hit if that wasn't clear. Probably ~1500 TPS, our most recent kill I didn't get WF, but I did get a heroism. I generally get swapped into a group and get WF + a hero. I turn my back whenever rage dries up to keep the threat level needed. We kill him in like a minute.

Only people who may pull will be hunters who don't feign, or Warlocks who don't shatter/run into melee range, and mages who get in melee range, or don't ice block.

I also get 2-3 misdirects to start, depending on how many hunters are in the raid.

NinJOu
08-01-2008, 04:46 PM
I turn my back whenever rage dries up to keep the threat level needed.

Aww, on purpose ? You never got insta killed ? So daring but effective.

I watched your locks vid, i could see omen and your TPS level. Pretty decent, even on the Voids.

Xav
08-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Aww, on purpose ? You never got insta killed ? So daring but effective.

I watched your locks vid, i could see omen and your TPS level. Pretty decent, even on the Voids.

Turning your back just causes you to take a melee hit, Entropius doesn't crush, and you don't get crit unless you sit down. So it's just a near-guaranteed way to fill up your rage (mobs can still miss you when you turn your back, but yea).

NinJOu
08-03-2008, 03:50 AM
Okay, thanks for the info.

Do you have a WWS somewhere to see how much damage you get from shadow spells coming from the Void Sent and the void spawns ?

Xav
08-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Wow Web Stats (http://wowwebstats.com/5urxkgdw6iama?s=337280-371362&a=x194bdf8)

The shadow nova from the sentinel isn't resistable, but the volley from the spawns is.

Wow Web Stats (http://wowwebstats.com/5urxkgdw6iama?s=337280-371362&a=Gxf1300064e0001822)

there you can see the average volley damage (it mainly hits the prot paladin, me, and random stray people who fail)

Tizack
08-04-2008, 05:29 AM
when i have been tanking the voids i wear straight up avoidance but keep good health. i never wear threat gear because when u reflect the Voidblast it brings me up to 4k TPS anyway. i don't see a reason to wear Shadow gear for it though. if u wear high avoidance u need some shadow damage to egt some rage anyway. i also tank Entropius in P2.

Xav
08-04-2008, 07:05 AM
when i have been tanking the voids i wear straight up avoidance but keep good health. i never wear threat gear because when u reflect the Voidblast it brings me up to 4k TPS anyway. i don't see a reason to wear Shadow gear for it though. if u wear high avoidance u need some shadow damage to egt some rage anyway. i also tank Entropius in P2.

Avoidance is mostly pointless, I'll agree with that garbled point. However, shadow resistance is highly valuable because of the burst damage you can (potentially) take from a dozen unresisted Volleys from the spawns, that would easily be 12k+ damage, most likely far more, in conjunction with any damage from the sentinel's melee+nova, and negative energy. Wearing some SR highly reduces the RNG death potential in the fight as a sentinel tank.

Also wearing some SR indirectly lowers your avoidance due to SR gear having no avoidance on it, which will stabilize your rage generation in P2, slightly.

Tizack
08-04-2008, 07:18 PM
that makes sense Xav thanks for the insight. i think i am gonna try out your Set of SR next time.

NinJOu
08-05-2008, 01:59 AM
Thx Xav.

Got my first strong night on Muru yesterday. I wasn't wearing any SR stuff due to the RL.

Whenever i passed near the protpally, i took huge shadow damage like 1500 / bolts.

Tonight, i'm gonna try with some SR on and see the difference between these 2 nights.

One other thing, i really prefer your way of doing the Voids : i had to gain aggro on the new void and then run to get near the protpally who was standing in the same point. Not really good for start aggro, i was praying that my initial shield slam did'nt miss.

Dragaan
08-12-2008, 09:45 PM
when u reflect the Voidblast it brings me up to 4k TPS anyway.

This has been really bugging me.... I have been tanking in raids for a year now. I have tanked all the way up to M'uru (just hit entrop a few times the other night). I tank sentinels, and when I reflect the blast I do not see ANY change in my threat on omen. Not only on this fight, but on any fight or against any mob where I get to reflect. I have seen a ton of M'uru videos and half the time I see the same thing on other ppl's omen (the tank's threat doesnt budge). The other half, I see their TPS jump to 2-3k once they reflect the blast (and the total threat jumps too by a ton - almost doubles when they reflect). What is the difference there? My threat on sentinels is fine but this is just really bothering me, lol.

Oh, and yes it's updated constantly (omen).

Kree
08-13-2008, 01:16 AM
Avoidance is mostly pointless, I'll agree with that garbled point. However, shadow resistance is highly valuable because of the burst damage you can (potentially) take from a dozen unresisted Volleys from the spawns, that would easily be 12k+ damage, most likely far more, in conjunction with any damage from the sentinel's melee+nova, and negative energy. Wearing some SR highly reduces the RNG death potential in the fight as a sentinel tank.

Also wearing some SR indirectly lowers your avoidance due to SR gear having no avoidance on it, which will stabilize your rage generation in P2, slightly.

Well, i tryied out the sr thing and was down mostly tankin sentinel after about 10sec.. went than max avoidance by nice hp and made till raid end last one standing.. For tryin go avo/hp i say.

For me theres only one situation when the voley may be dangerous, its when next sentinel spawnt next to the pally tanking his adds. So you gearin sw for a situation that may happen but dont even have to loosing a lot of avoidance ...just my opinion.

From wws , was a first good try about Muru 25% :
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9915/muruir1.jpg
Actually, the void spawns made by me in 26 Muru trys less dmg than those 2 cataclysm hounds (done twice so 4x) from trash...

Bishoptwo
08-13-2008, 08:36 AM
My guild has downed Muru a couple of times now and i tank the Sentinels.

Something to keep in mind - I DO NOT tank entropius so my gear is not dependent on phase 2. The prot warrior tanking the southern doorway tanks him.

Consumables: I use 30 stam food, i use the chromatic flask, ward on chest, and daily reward weapon buff or sharpening stone on weapon. The first couple of hours of attempts i actually used swiftness potions when needed to pick up sentinels (a combination of dps being behind on them and being new to the encounter could lead to late pick ups and potentially wipe the raid) now though i chain chug ironshields as soon as first sentinel spawns. An optional idea, if you didnt want to wear as much SR, would be to use SR pots whenever you knew you were going to take alot of damage (sentinel just died on pally, now there's 2 sets of adds and your next sentinel is spawning on top of you). Agility Scrolls, Strength Scrolls, Prot. Scrolls.

SR Gear: I use the BT neck and the craftable SR cloak with 15 SR enchant. Those 2 pieces combined with the flask and the priest shadow resist buff i sit at 200 SR. The amount of damage i take is roughly 60 percent shadow damage and 40 percent physical damage.

Strategy/Stats: First time we downed entropius I actually only had around 2 pieces of loot from Sunwell, bracers and boots (i think), since then I have received serveral more pieces so I'm not sure my exact stats but they were around - 22k HP, 19kish armor, 29ish dodge, 22ish parry, and 7ish percent to be missed (This could be totally wrong im trying to look now and equip what i thought I was wearing on the first kill to make an estimate, from what i remember this is close enough).

In terms of other gear choices, I just stacked avoidance. As long as you aren't equiping considerably lower ilvl items, there is enough stamina on all of the major avoidance pieces from BT (in fact most of these have the highest stamina pre sunwell on them) that your HP's will be fine. I used commendation and pocket watch. I did not worry about threat stats, although I did use Brutalizer with executioner on it for my weapon. You basically have an unlimited amount of rage from the shadow nova + 9kish melee hits (when you do get hit) + the shadow bolt volleys from adds + the 9k spell reflects you get (sometimes they resist); there's basically no way you should have serious threat issues on this fight.

In terms of strategy: Excellent communication on vent from me seemed to clear up all problems we were having whether it be dps related or healing related. I would always announce where each spawned. My healers stood south, I would tell them when one spawned north and to watch range on me, I would tell them if i was going through middle, I would tell them if i had to hurry through middle before darkness, I would tell them if one spawned on the paladin and me with one set of adds up, I would definitely tell them when a sent. spawned on us with 2 sets of adds up, you get the point...any time there was lack of communication on my part on about what was going to happen next, usually resulted in me dying or very close to death (and these arent bad healers, i should have mentioned this earlier but we went with the 5 healer strategy, so they were pushed to the max on this fight).

The most incoming damage: When a sentinel would spawn near us with 2 sets of adds being tanked and being AOE'd down. I knew I was about to take ALOT of damage as soon as I saw the portal animation above our heads. First thing I would do is call out "alot of extra damage on me" in vent, and then I would use a CD. I had a set CD order for each point in the fight where a sentinel happened to spawn on top of 2 AOE packs. Some attempts you may only get one bad sentinel spawn like this, on others almost every 3rd sentinel may spawn like this, so depending on the frequency of these bad spawns my CD rotation was something like... 1-pocket watch, 2-Last Stand, 3-Nightmare Seed or Shield Wall or SR Pots (or pocket watch if you've been unlucky and its back up). I really liked the pocket watch though compared with other trinkets, with the amount of SR i had the shadowbolts damage is consistent and not that spikey, throw in a 9kish melee hit from a sentinel along with all that damage and things get crazy, throw in 2 very unlucky melee hits along with all the shadow damage and you are probably dead.

Just communicate with your healers and let them know whats going on and use your CDs before you know you are about to take alot of damage instead of trying to use them reactively and you should be good.

Sorry about the wall of text but hopefully somebody gets something useful out of this. =D

Here's WWS from last kill if interested, I'm Romoreas.

Wow Web Stats (http://wowwebstats.com/q4qkji6osnm1g?s=406060-448902&a=x3fef1e6)

EDIT: Added WWS Link.

Tizack
08-13-2008, 11:05 PM
This has been really bugging me.... I have been tanking in raids for a year now. I have tanked all the way up to M'uru (just hit entrop a few times the other night). I tank sentinels, and when I reflect the blast I do not see ANY change in my threat on omen. Not only on this fight, but on any fight or against any mob where I get to reflect. I have seen a ton of M'uru videos and half the time I see the same thing on other ppl's omen (the tank's threat doesnt budge). The other half, I see their TPS jump to 2-3k once they reflect the blast (and the total threat jumps too by a ton - almost doubles when they reflect). What is the difference there? My threat on sentinels is fine but this is just really bothering me, lol.

Oh, and yes it's updated constantly (omen).

hmmm thats weird. i usualy sit around 1400 TPS and when i Reflect it increases to about 3800 threat has ever been an issue on this fight. i don't wear any SR gear just have the resist buff. and i am almost always full rage. most of the healing is targeted on me though out side tanks take virtually no damage. i could be possible that the Void sentinel Resists the shadow damage form your reflect. it happens to me sometimes and i see no threat change.

Xav
08-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Half the time the reflect threat shows up on omen, half the time it doesn't. Sometimes it's worse, that's just an example. A succesful reflect will give you the threat. Hell, omen registering Spell Reflect threat is a new feature - a few months ago it wasn't in at all, having tanked everything in the game prior to them adding the feature, I'm quite aware of how it worked.

It's a bug with Omen, one of many; Omen's getting rather shoddy lately.

Edit: Taking 9k hits regularly from Sentinels is just putting way too much of a burden on your healers. Get Devotion aura from your prot pally. Chug Ironshields. Use 2/5 Imp demo for yourself. You can cut those 9k hits down to 6.5-7k without trouble at all. Makes a massive difference.

NinJOu
09-09-2008, 03:06 AM
Thanks to all the advices, we finally got him down yesterday =)

Like Xav said, i wear about 200 RO full buff, 22 K HP. Chain ironshield and debuff the sents ASAP (2/5 DS).
One Holy Priest on me chain casting GH rank max and a stack of LB from our resto drood.
Don't miss a spell reflect, ever.
Have your prot pally judge the sent as you get to him to help DPS.

Here my POV on our first kill : http://ninjou.yeap.fr/index.php?file=CrxvsMuru.avi for those who needs help

Dragaan
09-09-2008, 04:05 AM
yea...like I said wtf. Each and every time you reflected a blast your TPS rose to about 4k and total threat jumped by over 10k. I have never ever seen that, not even once. I gotta really push myself to stay above the DPS at times, and I know I do high tps. I know Xav said that omen is just bugged and "sometimes" it doesnt register the reflect aggro, but I could have swore I've seen a lock pull after a reflect (not positive tho - either way I'm still annoyed).

Dragaan
09-09-2008, 04:24 AM
Grats on ur kill btw Nin. :) nice video too.
Hopefully we should have him down this week (6% last night).

frzn
09-10-2008, 05:58 AM
Meh, I figured i'd make an account here to post this :P

Heres my vid from last week :/

Frzn-Schism_vs_Muru.avi - FileFront.com (http://files.filefront.com/Frzn+Schism+vs+Muruavi/;11661764;/fileinfo.html)

Sanelora
09-10-2008, 06:07 AM
Meh, I figured i'd make an account here to post this :P

Heres my vid from last week :/

Frzn-Schism_vs_Muru.avi - FileFront.com (http://files.filefront.com/Frzn+Schism+vs+Muruavi/;11661764;/fileinfo.html)

took your time mang.

awesome video from an awesome tank

frzn
09-10-2008, 07:15 PM
long time reader, first time poster ;p