PDA

View Full Version : what instances can I tank(just dinged 70)

dawnrose
06-10-2008, 04:44 AM
I got crit immunity, but only 9k hp and 4k mana pool and 30 spell damage. As you have noticed by now, I'm a protection paladin. My gear consists of mainly late 60(66-70 content) blues and greens. I just dinged to 70 yesterday and of course not uncrushable yet. I'm sure I can't tank heroics or kz but am I able to do all the normal top dungeons like Shattered Halls, Steamvault & Arcatraz without upgrading my gear first? The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Frostwhisper&n=Dawnrose) EDIT: added Armory Profile

mattdeeze
06-10-2008, 06:11 AM
You just listed two of the hardest instances. SH and Arc. I would not recommend diving into those ones, especially Shattered Hell. One thing that really stands out in your gear set is that you have a warrior weapon. Lose it. Get a +spell damage weapon and get a +spell damage chant on it. You will be able to stack all the spell damage you need in one slot, and warrior tanking weapons usually only give meager defensive stats anyway. Remember that the 490 defence for uncrittable is for level 73 raid bosses. You will be able to be uncrittable against 72's (Highest level you will see in heroics) with 485 defense, and 71's (most regular 70 instance bosses) with 480 defense. But spell damage will be crucial for you to hold agro as a paly tank.

dawnrose
06-10-2008, 09:17 AM
what would you recommend for me to get before doing an instance like shattered halls, other than the spell damage weapon?

Brucimus
06-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Crystalforged Sword is nice for a starter pally

or

one of the weapons from SSO rep Seeker's Gavel

mattdeeze
06-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Shattered Halls on regular is harder than all but a few heroics and requires a lot of multi-mob tanking.

You will be dealing with 7 pulls. Also there is an area I like to call the gauntlet where you have to kill waves of mobs (two each) as well as work thru stationary mob pairs while dodging patches of fire till you can regroup enough to kill the final group at the end of the hall.

There is a reason I call it Shattered Hell. It is an ugly ugly place. I don't have a paly, so I would imagine you would have a head start on the multi-mob tanking thing as long as CC can keep thier assignments out of your consecration. Kill order is crucial.

At your current gear level though, unless you have a T5 geared healer along, I really doubt if you could take the pounding from the big pulls.

I'm not trying to discourage you. It is a really fun and challenging instance once you are geared well enough for it, but I wouldn't advise diving into that one right now.

Grind rep with SSO to get the shield and spell damage sword (the money from dailys doesnt hurt either). For the rest of your gear. People far smarter than I am have put together these two gear guides. http://www.tankspot.com/forums/gear-lists-rankings/31940-polar-s-easy-pre-karazhan-tank-gear-list.html and http://www.tankspot.com/forums/gear-lists-rankings/32083-berg-s-tank-gear-rankings-03-19-2008-wow-2-4-a.html go to both and put them into your favorites list. I would work on Polar's gear list first then work on Berg's list. Good luck and happy tanking.

dawnrose
06-11-2008, 01:59 AM
1. Acquiring the Belt of the Guardian tonight, only need 1 primal water and I can transmute one from primal earth tonight. Only wondering what gems I should put in.
2. The first guide is good for both pally & warrior tanks, but the second one looks to be written only for warrior tanks. Strength & agility are waste of item budget stats for paladins and no mention of tankadin weapons at all.
3. I have already acquired most of the items in the first guide. Just need the the cloak, the shield and as you mentioned yourself a decent caster weapon.
I'll try get to do the prequests for the Netherwing faction tonight so I can get that shield quest reward which looks to be designed specifically for pala tanks. And get my reputation to revered with Keepers of Time to get my 1h caster sword.
4. The head pieces described in the guide are either for warriors or require 350 in blacksmithing. I only got a bit below 300. So will take some time to get that kind of skill as you prob know yourself, bs is expensive. 20g per skillup and I'm not even at 300, so only going to get worse :( The only alternative I could find is the Helm of the Righteous, which is a drop from last boss in Mechanar.
5. Now I tanked Shadow Labyrinth, Mechanar & Botanica without much problems, but having no tanking experience in Arcatraz or Steamvault I have to wonder if I'm capable of them. I have done the instances many times on my other chars so I know the fights mostly, just don't know if I'm ready for them.

dawnrose
06-16-2008, 02:15 AM
So I tanked Shattered Halls now several times with 9.2k hp unbuffed. Had a level 69 holy priest healing me. Did the instance 3-4 times and the tanking trinket and pala gloves dropped. Only wiped once, but that was cause someone pulled 2 extra groups although we still survived for another 30 seconds. Could have prob survived it if I wasn't oom. Going to farm for the tanking cloak in Steamvault and level up my blacksmithing to make the felsteel items.

dlongest
06-16-2008, 07:05 AM
Leveling up BS is good because you can craft yourself Blazefury, but you could just buy the Felsteel items in the interim.

I wish you luck farming Devilshark, hopefully you'll get it within the first 30 runs (not even kidding).

Daniel

Kral
06-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Leveling up BS is good because you can craft yourself Blazefury, but you could just buy the Felsteel items in the interim.

I wish you luck farming Devilshark, hopefully you'll get it within the first 30 runs (not even kidding).

Daniel

Seriously it has a pretty low drop rate

from all my SV runs (Both HC and normal) on my 2 chars never seen it dropped

i just decided to go for the 35 badge cloak :D

dawnrose
06-17-2008, 01:02 AM
And how am I supposed to farm 35 badges without stepping into heroics/karazhan? I'm leeching in my guild's raids to Gruul's & Magtheridon's Lair but that's only 8 badges each week. I can get my hp to 10k hp unbuffed if I switch some items at the cost of spell damage & mp5. <3 the trinkets I got though. I got pretty much every single blue tanking trinket atm. Tonight I'm going for the tanking ring from the quest line in Shadowmoon Valley. Just gotta kill 5 annoying giants in Eclipse disguise. One question though. Can that quest be done without a healer if you got a good dpser? Like T5-6 geared.
Speaking of heroics. What does it take to do 2nd boss in Black Morass heroic? I've heard the encounter is more dependant on the dps than it depends on the tank as the mobs don't hit significantly harder, just got more hp. Provided I get a good group of course. I'm in a T5-6 guild so getting good geared people for a short heroic shouldn't be an issue.

dawnrose
07-02-2008, 06:18 AM
So I upgraded my gear, leveled my blacksmithing to 351 and gotten some karazhan offtanking experience. I also have every blue quality tanking trinket obtainable at level 70, made it past revered with SSO. Based on my recently acquired gear, what am I able to tank atm? I put vendor gems in my head piece, as I plan to replace it the first chance I get. Either the dungeon 3 helm or the tier 4 helmet from Prince. I don't like the wasted stats on my current helm. I can get my hp from 10k to 11k hp unbuffed by switching around some items, but at the cost of some avoidance & spell damage.
My crushing vulnerability is bit less than 2% when I use holy shield & kings.
I also have the pattern & reagents for the boots of the protector, but I need to level my blacksmithing to the max first.

dawnrose
07-03-2008, 12:57 AM
so I did heroic slave pens and heroic arcatraz last night.
Heroic slave pens went ok, had two rogues and a mage with me. Had one of the rogues stunlock one of the Coilfang Defenders. Past 1st boss, the mage had to go and we four-manned it til 2nd boss where I finally found someone to replace the mage: a shadow priest. I asked the priest to help with healing when I had the healing debuff on 2nd boss. Third boss hits quite hard, but the healer managed to keep me up the entire fight and he was in blues & early epics. Most of the wipes I had were ninja pulls which happen to even good geared tanks in pugs.
Heroic Arcatraz went a bit less smooth. However since it was mostly a guild run, the group sticked together. I was not able to take on more than one group so when people ninja pulled, I couldn't stay alive long enough. The trash before first boss was one of the hardest parts. I died once, but the group didn't wipe as it was at the end of the fight. But I adjusted my strategy and I kept moving the mob around so it takes more time between each swing of it's string of attacks and healer has easier time keeping me up. That seemed to work. We skipped first boss as I pretty sure we wouldn't be able to do him with below average geared tank and just above average geared healer - with average meaning enough gear to do the instance in heroic mode. As for the trash between the 1st and next 2 bosses, we only had trouble with the sucubusses. We didn't have either mage, hunter or warlock to detect them. I accidentily pulled two succubuses without seeing it, leading to the death of the healer after a while. Did kill the one I was tanking though. We just ressed and continued. The two bosses were piece of cake. Didn't have much trouble with the humanoid groups. Killed satyrs without much trouble. The abyssal infernal was a slight problem. The shadow priest I had brought along way overgeared me(T5-6) and overaggrod, even with my rf up and him having salvation. Second try was a charm though. As for the Doomguard, first one was some trouble. Healer could only keep me up til 40% of the mob's hp. Mob killed the shadow priest and the enhancement shaman. Was only rogue and resto shaman left. Rogue evasion tanked it til 1% and died. Resto shaman earth shocked it and mob and resto shaman died at same time. Was quite funny.
The next doomguard we adjusted tactics. The enhancement shaman helped with healing and I lived through the fight without any trouble.
As for the minibosses, first was quite easy. 2nd was the air elemental and the shadow priest overaggrod twice in a row, second time before my taunt was off cooldown. So he died, we ressed, but were unable to recover for the 3rd miniboss and wiped. 2nd try was a charm. Shadow priest didn't overaggro and everything went smooth.
The last boss went very smooth. No problems at all.
That's 5 badges from SP(was daily) & 3 from Arcatraz and a nice addition in reputation.

uglybbtoo
07-03-2008, 01:09 AM

Daniel

Don't bother with Blazefury it's absolutely useless to you as a tankadin you aren't a warrior you need a spell damage weapon it's how a pally builds threat. You really need to also start doing some TK runs there are good drops out there and the shat'ari gear from the quests is excellent.

dawnrose
07-03-2008, 01:51 AM
Don't bother with Blazefury it's absolutely useless to you as a tankadin you aren't a warrior you need a spell damage weapon it's how a pally builds threat. You really need to also start doing some TK runs there are good drops out there and the shat'ari gear from the quests is excellent.
Afaik Blazefury is for weaponsmiths, I'm an armorsmith. I just hope WotLK brings some nice items for armorsmiths. Cause atm, it's kinda disappointing. I already done more TK runs than I can count. Yesterday was my first TK heroic though.

Raize
07-06-2008, 05:16 PM
11k really isn't a lot for some heroics but certain ones are possible if you use your CC wisely and play smart. I would probably still avoid places with a lot of magic damage as you simply won't survive for long. Stay way from places like Shattered Halls, Black Morass, MgT until you have a lot more stamina.

dawnrose
07-07-2008, 02:09 AM
I did Shattered Halls to killl 1st boss for my Karazhan quest(the prequest to summon Nightbane). Trash was easier than I thought. Had brought a lot of cc which wasn't really needed. The first pack I just cc everything but two mobs to get a feeling how hard the mobs hit. But due to my avoidance(48%), they barely hit me at all. So I just told the cc to sheep the casters and the hardest hitting mob(think it's the reaver) til we killed the legionnaire. Legionnaire doesn't hit very hard either. Around 900ish. Could most prob have dealt with the hardest hitting mob aswell..
First boss wasn't hard, had a brief moment of fear when he deathcoiled me over a void zone though. Then we stopped as I had to go. I had told my party we were only doing first boss for the quest before inviting them and they were ok with it.
Would like some info why exactly Black Morass Heroic is so hard though. Haven't been there with this paladin yet. I only know what happens on normal mode and I usually get mana starved after almost each fight from not getting hit.
- how hard do the caster mobs in BM hit for? Volley, fireball, frostbolt, etc
- how hard do the bosses hit for?
- how much hp do you need to live through the stun of last boss?

Ciderhelm
07-07-2008, 02:24 AM
11k really isn't a lot for some heroics but certain ones are possible if you use your CC wisely and play smart. I would probably still avoid places with a lot of magic damage as you simply won't survive for long. Stay way from places like Shattered Halls, Black Morass, MgT until you have a lot more stamina.

Heroic Shattered should be good for 11k health as long as Avoidance is decent as well. I believe I first cleared it under the (now removed) attunement timer at about 11k health 10.5k armor, with an equally undergeared group. Trying to beat the timer we wiped twice beforehand, so it wasn't a cakewalk, but it's doable if everyone is on their game (as you suggest).

dawnrose
07-17-2008, 12:47 AM
11k really isn't a lot for some heroics but certain ones are possible if you use your CC wisely and play smart. I would probably still avoid places with a lot of magic damage as you simply won't survive long. Stay way from places like Shattered Halls, Black Morass, MgT until you have a lot more stamina.
Have done Heroic Black Morass with 11k hp unbuffed. Now I did have a warlock, a discipline priest, a dps warrior and a hunter in my group :D
Dps warrior was on adds, hunter was for dispelling frenzy on last boss.

PS:
So far I have done every heroic without using one single macro. I like doing things myself while I'm still capable of doing so. When it's really needed, I'll make a few macros. People like to make things far too easy far too many times for themselves imo. Makes the game boring, but perhaps that's just me...